Need some advice...

tuesday

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have a 18 month old neutered female moggy. Two weeks ago she was treated for a urine infection and is just finishing a course of antibiotics. Yesterday she vomited three times, I phoned my vet who recommended plain chicken. Although the vomiting stopped she keeps coughing and then kicking her lips. My guess was hairball brought on by excessive grooming following the infection. However, today she was constipated and also really stinking at her back end. I have checked for poo caught in her fur and cleaned the area but she still stinks. She now seems to have diarrhea and is rubbing her butt along the ground.
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can help her? I hope the vet can see her tomorrow but I don't know if they will have appointments available.
Thank you for reading this x

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tuesday

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*Licking her lips, not kicking. That would be even more concerning. And impressively flexible.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Check your cat for dehydration. Tent the skin on the back of the neck. If it falls back immediately, your cat is hydrated. If it takes one of two seconds or longer, your cat is dehydrated. Lip smacking can be a sign of dehydration and/or nausea. What looks like diarrhea is probably constipation. Bits of liquid are getting out, but basically the cat is still constipated. Constipation can also trigger a cat's vomitting reflex.

Constipation is a serious problem for a cat. Is there an emergency vet in your area?

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dehydration is serious and you should get your cat to an emergency vet if at all possible. Has she been drinking? You could try syringing small amounts of water into the corner of her mouth - between her cheek and her teeth until you can get her to the vet. Do not syringe directly to the back of the throat.

If the cat is constipated, she is very uncomfortable. A vet may give an enema or a laxative. Constipation can lead to something much more serious (and costly) such as megacolon. Your cat should be seen as soon as possible. The vet would also check for dehydration and administer something for the nausea.

ankitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Antibiotics can cause diarrhea. Maybe you can ask your vet about probiotics?  If she's eating, you can add some water to canned food to get her hydrated. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tuesday

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your replies. I checked for dehydration and she seems fine, I spoke to the vet and they will see her later today if she has not passed solid stools by then. Thanks again for the help x