Need Some Advice On Foster Kitten

Alinalou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m currently fostering a little orange kitten from a local rescue. They didn’t have an estimate of her age but she seems to be at least 8 weeks. No one was there at the rescue as my sister-in-law and I were there just to clean but I saw her in her cage being a little skittish so I thought she might benefit from a foster home. After contacting the owner they gave me the ok to take her home.

She is doing great so far she loves to play and bound the length of the room she’s in. She’s eating and drinking well too.

There’s a few things I need advice on though:
1. I’ve seen her urinate and she was fine but it seems like strained a bit trying to have a BM and she didn’t produce anything. I’m nervous she might be constipated but I’ve only had her a night and a day.
2. She has no tail and a wound where it looks like it might have been severed. Where a tail should be is just a scab and the rescue says she’ll need to return for a surgery for that. I need to know how to help care for it until then.
3. I have 2 male cats one that is 4 and another that is 1 both are neutered. If they can get used to her I’ll probably adopt her after she is spayed and in tips on how to help that go well would be appreciated.

If I do keep her (which is likely I’m a huge softy) what issues can I expect from her not having a tail?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
What a doll baby!!

From what I'm reading, you don't want to use hydrogen peroxide, as that is too harsh and you wouldn't want anything that has pain relief as that can be harmful. If she isn't licking it, maybe do nothing. Neosporin could be used, but Triple Antibiotic Ointment for pets might be better.

I really think I'd take her to my own vet to see what she/he says about the tail, why they're saying further surgery is necessary since she isn't having any mobility problems, and any future issues. But you might not be able to do that under foster care rules? If not, ask them why they think surgery is required. Do they think her pooping is effected by the injury?

Are you feeding her canned food? Can you add some kitten glop (there are recipes on the internet), and also a 1/4 teaspoon of plain pumpkin?

Do you have filtered water for your furbabies? It could be the water change causing slowed pooping, but she might not have been eating that well since you mentioned she was skittish at the shelter.

Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips

Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

BreeHowland

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can promise that she won't have many issues with having no tail.

I have a 14 year old male cat with no tail and the only difference is, is he hops when he jumps like a little bunny.

(For full disclosure, we did get him when he was two, so we don't know if he was born without a tail or had an accident. He doesnt seem to miss it though.)

She's gorgeous. All the luck with the little one. You may want to up her wet food intake, it might help loosen her up if she is constipated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alinalou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Erinlinkcappy Erinlinkcappy Thank you that’s good to know!

Furballsmom Furballsmom Now that I’ve managed to get her to trust me I’ve been able to look at the area better and it seems closed and clean. I’ll keep an eye on it but she seems to be leaving it alone.

I don’t think she would go straight into surgery without a consultation first. Or at least the rescue is so short staffed I was asked to be the one to take her to the appointment. If they want to go ahead and do it, I’ll get a second opinion from my own vet for sure. She doesn’t have mobility issues as far as I can tell but her gait is a little strange. It’s almost like she’s walking with her back legs too far apart.

I managed to get her to go and aside from the first half being too firm the rest was normal. I think it was the last of the cheap stuff from the rescue making its way out. Right now she’s eating tiki cat wet food and whole hearted turkey kibble. Mostly just the tiki cat but the kibble is there if she needs the extra calories. I go to the store Wednesday so if it seems like she’s still having a hard time I’ll get some pumpkin. She has a lot of energy so I don’t think the glop is necessary.

My boys have a fountain but she’s not allowed out with them yet. She’s been drinking filtered water though. She’s eating really well.

Thank you for the links!

B BreeHowland Thank you! I was worried she might develop back problems or joint pain down the line but that’s something I’d have to keep an eye out for in any cat really.
Her run reminds me of a bunny! She takes a few hops before she really gets going, it’s very cute.