Need some advice on a male cat with FLUTD

carm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmylou

Is the Waltham's SO available commercially in places like Petco?
Unfortunately, Waltham's/Royal Canin Urinary SO is an RX food so you have to pick it up from your vet.

tissie1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has FLUDT and had a blockage earlier in the year and it was awful. The Vet.s were not helpful but I went to holisticat.com I think it was and joined the forum and learned so much! He is on a "canned" only diet with Cosequin Q10 mixed with his food and he has been fine since. Raw food is probably the best way to go but canned is working for me right now. Also try to get canned food without grains like Wellness if possible. Avoid fish flavored foods! My boys prefer turkey or chicken anyways. Get a water fountain or give them new water each day and preferably distilled or spring water. My boy has been fine since I made these changes. Good luck and hang in there!!! Don't give up!

P.S. My Fludt kitty was totally OBSESSED with eating DRY food. But you have to get him off it ASAP and eventually he will get over it! If you have to give him a treat until you can wean him off but the less the better and if at all NONE! Maybe once in awhile a treat but be cautious!!! His teeth should be fine without dry but you may want to add something to his water or brush his teeth or something anyways. Actually a raw food diet is best for their teeth because they have to really chew it good. I have also heard but haven't tried this myself yet is COQ10 is good sprinkled on their food for their teeth/gums.

Becareful with "urniary" specific foods because they can make his urine too acidic or vica versa. I never played around with those foods!

Also for stress there are some Rescue Remedy Drops, treats, plug-ins, etc. that you can get to help calm them too. Some good old attention and playtime will help too. Take them to a room with just you and them if there are other pets so you won't be distracted.

http://www.holisticat.com/

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...All&Nty=1&pc=1

http://www.catsinternational.org/art...ess/index.html

mskitty666

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Chester was diagnosed with FLUTD and struvite crystals on 9/26. I was in the process of incorporating moist food into their diet and switching to c/d because of another kitty. The vet prescribebed Amoxcillian which I gave until it ran out. Chester was much improved. His obvious symptom was excessive grooming of his genitals and someone (I have five cats) had urinated outside the litterbox. I thought everything was going well until that Sunday morning.

Chester was trying to pee on any and everything in site. I didn't notice urine, but thought maybe the FLUTD was causing him to go so often even though no urine. I immediately isolated him to observe him and realized he seemed to be blocked as nothing came out. Off to the emergency vet. He was blocked, hospitalized with a catheter over night and transfered to our regular vet first thing Monday morning. He has been in the hospital ever since. We are on week two. Each time the catheter was removed he blocked. My vet determined that he was having urethral spasms and we started medications to help the spasms.

After spending this weekend hospitalized at the emergency vet, Monday they performed a urethrogram. He has had xrays, urine cultures, the works. The urethrogram showed no signs of tumors, or stones. On Tuesday his catheter was removed for the third time. All was going well. On Wednesday things were looking so good, they told us we would be bringing him home. Then we got a very disappointing call that afternoon that he was not passing urine and the doc could not express any. We went into visit him like every day, and talked to the doc. The surgery was the only choice.

When we talked to the vet performing the surgery today, all had gone well, except she noticed thickening of his bladder. She asked permission to do a culture and histopathology of tissue samples obtained during his surgeery. As if that wasn't bad enough, his last urine culture showed infection with resistant ecoli. We are scared that treatment of the infection may not be successful and my initial research with thickeneing of the bladder is scary. It could be due to infection, FLUTD or cancer or tumors. The problem is until we get the test results next week, I have no idea what the next course of action will be.

Luckily, we have pet insurance and our vet is willing to work out an installment plan. We have maxed out all of our credit cards and transferred all our money from savings. It terrifying to think what would happen if we didn't have insurance to help. It is encouraging to know others have had success with the surgery. Hopefully Chester will recover well.