Need serious advice

gandalfsmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Gandalf is a little over a year old and recently started urinating after my ex moved out. He only really urinates when a man or baby is in the house which is bad news for me since im pregnant. Im taking him to be neutered tomorrow and hope that will fix the problem but my ex is threatening to call cps once our child is born if the cat doesnt stop and i read online earlier that jealousy urination isnt alwayd fixed by neutering. I clean his litterbox every 2 days thinking that was origionally the problem. I try to give him affection when i have guests so he wont get jealous but he hides so i cant. About an hour ago after my cousin left, he peed on my arm. Need advice asap in case the neutering doesnt help

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible he has a medical condition that is exacerbated by the stress of visitors, so he should be checked out by a vet to make sure nothing's wrong first. If he's healthy, it could just be stress. It sounds like he's scared and stressed out by people coming over, not jealous. Once the baby comes and he learns that the baby is part of the household and not a stranger, he might calm down, but it will take time. And a baby is definitely a stressful change for a cat in the meantime, so there are some things you can do to help.

A calming aid (or several) can reduce stress levels. Feliway plugins work well for many cats. Other options are Rescue Remedy flower essences and catnip.

Clean wherever there is improper elimination very thoroughly with an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle so the urine chemicals will be broken down and he will be less likely to use that spot again.

Provide multiple litter boxes so he always has a fresh clean one to use if he prefers it. Some cats are more picky about the state of their litter boxes. Cleaning daily might also help.

Precious cat makes a litter and a litter additive called Cat Attract that are specially formulated to make litter more enticing for cats.

Cats also pick up on our own anxiety levels, so if you are stressed about him being stressed about visitors being over he will notice but not know what you're stressed about and think that you're stressed about the visitors, too, giving him more reason to be stressed, so try to be calm and natural if you can.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gandalfsmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This may make sense because i do get a little stressed when my ex visits and he never did it until we broke up. And I'll definitely go pick up some of those items tomorrow so i can see if it helps

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Recommending that you take your cat to the vet as a first step. He may have a uti. Hopefully they can check when he goes in for the neuter.