Need printer/scanner advice!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Canon printer/scanner/copier that I've had a good 7 years or more is broken. I don't see a point in mailing it to a service location. We don't have any local. I've loved it except that it's kinda loud. (Only a problem since the study is right next to my daughter's bedroom.)

I have about a million photos I'd like to scan. So I'm wondering if I shouldn't look at getting a combo one again or if I'd get better scan quality with a separate scanner. I'd like to save the desk space and I don't want to spend a ton either. I don't do photo printing from home. Mostly I print recipes. Every once in a while it's been really handy to have the copier function too.

Any advice?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My last three have been HP all in one.
I've loved them all.
The first two met their untimely demise, one by getting a heavy box dropped on it during a move, and one getting dragged off my desk by a very freaked out, tangled dog.

The quality is great the price isn't bad, the cartridges are easy to find anywhere, and this latest one is nearly 8 years old and still problem free.

I can't stand HP computers, but I do love their office machines.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an HP F4400 series 3-in-1 printer and absolutely love it! It is a copier, printer and scanner. The copier is great! It copies in color and I was hard pressed to figure out which one was the original! The scanner and printer are great too!

subconsciousme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, consider a laser printer. They are MUCH quieter and actually cost less than ink jet in terms of printing cost per page ratio. They initial cost is more but the long term cost is less. Sometimes you can get them on the cheap... I'm considering upgrading actually because of one of my cats!

Additionally, make sure your photo editing software is good.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For scanning pictures I recommend a Pandigital Photolink One-Touch. I have a small version that does 4 x 6 and negatives.

After I bought it they came out with a better version that goes up to 8 1/2 x 11 and I wished I had waited.

Because you mentioned this I went to Amazon and found one on sale and I ordered it. It is so quick and easy I may give up my flat bed completely.

I have no recommendation on printers. I currently have an HP that I really like but it is not compatible with Windows 7. I got it to work but it is not working as well as is should. If I want a really good picture I have to hook it up to my lap top.

I have the PANSCN05 just ordered the PANSCN06

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have a separate scanner and printer; both are HP.

I used to have an HP professional printer that I loved. When I bought the new computer, though, I couldn't get it to work with Vista. New computer was USB; printer was parallel. I bought the cable and software to try to get the printer to work and spent a good day back in the computer room mumbling, muttering, and making all kinds of scathing remarks. To no avail. Ended up buying a new printer. DH has the old printer hooked to his computer. I would love to have it back.

The new printer guzzles ink and I'm constantly buying new cartridges for that thing.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always recommend HP printers. When you change the ink on an HP, you also change the print head, and it is the print head that fails on printers where that is not the case. I had an Epson that failed two years in a row while I was printing my tax return. The first time, the service center fixed it. The second time, I just took it in to them and gave it to them so they could use it for parts. I've owned one Epson since then; it printed great, until it quit printing at all.

With a little looking, you can find an 3-in-1 printer/scanner/copier for a great price.

It used to be you could buy a cheap flatbed scanner for next to nothing. But they've gotten as expensive as a 3-in-one.

I'm currently using an HP F4180. You can buy the regular ink cartridges (21 b/w and 22 color) or the large size (54 b/w and 57 color) I buy the large ones, and while they come to about $60, they last so long I can't remember the last time I changed one. But I don't do a lot of printing.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Canon scanner which works great.
I have two laser black & white printers (one was a freebie!) So much cheaper in the long run to operate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Walmart has a 3 in 1 for just $32!! I think Best Buy had one for around $50-60. So not bad! I'm thinking that for now I might just get a decent printer and hopefully soon get a separate scanner. I've seen a few that can let me scan negatives and slides and I'd love to be able to do that! My Grandfather's were big photographers in their days; it would be awesome to preserve them digitally!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have an Epson Perfection 4490 Photo scanner (with ICE technology). DH researched when we were going to buy and we really like it. Also have an HP 3 in 1 that I use sometimes to scan, and I think that's pretty good too. But the other one is better for photos I think.