Need prayers for Kattie!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kattiekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You know, I think a few of the wellness pate and natures variety instinct do have guar gum or carrageenan. I was researching those items and trying to avoid them but it seem like they are in everything, even the good stuff!. Well actually the cheap friskies she had this morning and the fancy feast and whiskas, don't have those ingredients. She was acting a little more active though today hanging out in the window and rolling on the ground in the sun. She even went behind the tv where I keep the left over dry food from breakfast and she ate on her own. I'm hoping this means her tummy is feeling better.
I'm thinking this is all related to her constipation and intestinal issues. It is sounding more like IBD to me. Though the other vet didn't get a urine back in July when she got her bloods done. Even though kidney function was fine on the bloodwork, I'm wondering if she is starting to develop some kidney issues?
Still no vomiting which I thought if she was nauseous she would do. Been watching her like a hawk and that is how I caught the tummy gurgling. Well we will find out soon enough. So hoping it isn't cancer, don't really want IBD or kidney issues, but I can deal with that and can do fluids and what not at home. This cat let's me do anything to her, but is difficult for everyone else. Kinda why she became my cat lol. She is going to have to be sedated when they do her stuff but I know it will be for the best.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, if it's not IBD or kidney issues yet, you can try single-source protein foods, high protein (low carb) foods, and foods with simple ingredient lists. Someone started a thread about carrageenan in the nutrition forum, and I think a number of foods without it were identified.... let me go take a look.

...and have you considered a raw diet for her? :dk: Kitties with tummy issues on commercial canned/kibble often (not always) do really well on a more species appropriate diet. Just a thought....

You know, the megacolon can be reversed, right? Flowerbelle had constipation issues and the beginning of thickening of her colon, and the holistic vet prescribed an herbal remedy for her. She was on it for a few months, and now no longer requires it (and I did subsequently switch all the cats to a raw diet). I have the name of it here, but I don't think I ever found where to purchase it online. In fact, I didn't, so I guess that won't help. :(

OK, let me go look for that thread. OK - the discussion of foods started on page 2: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/246168/the-truth-about-carrageenan/30

kattiekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cool. I'll go look at those threads. I was starting her on raw but then she wasn't wanting to eat it and I was dealing with her allergies at the time. Anyways, when she started to be picky about food I went back to the canned and kibble. Now since I'm not sure what I'm dealing with internally, I'm afraid to give her raw for possibly making her sicker, but once we figure this out, I will be looking into raw again, unless the doc wants her on a special diet. I will do that to get her sorted out before trying the raw again.
On the positive, she had a normal perfectly formed stool without miralax today. I was worried that she was having diarrhea because her stool yesterday and the day before we're runny, but it could be the miralax doing that. I have never been so happy about cat poop lol! Also the doc said at least from the X-ray I brought in, she doesn't look to be really megacolon, another reason to figure out her chronic constipation issues. I would be so happy to be able to not give her miralax and have her go regularly. It is weird because she will go everyday then not for 3-4 days. That is when she gets gassy and looks more bloated. I'm really thinking she might be sensitive to something in the food. Doc did mention we may have to put her on an Rx food to see if it helps. I am not a fan of Hill's foods but if it helps her I will do it. I do think they also have purina and royal canin diets as well. Here's to hoping for a simple diagnosis and fix, but knowing Kattie who knows?

kattiekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well Kattie did pretty good today, so I just kept her appt for tomorrow. She is eating, and I catch her going to her bowls during the day, but when I first put the food out at meal time, she isn't too interested. She goes up to the dry food bowl and sniffs, but if I take the dry food out of the bowl and put it on the Ed where she eats, she gobbles it up. Also certain canned foods she turns her nose up at but she will eat others. And sometimes if I just leave the canned food be, I will catch her eating it. I am wondering if she is training me to give her what she wants.
There has been no vomiting, she is eating, drinking going to the bathroom and being her normal self. If it wasn't the eating habit change, I wouldn't be concerned.
Anyways, we have a recheck tomorrow to go over how she's been with the doc, then probably get some blood, urine and X-rays. Hopefully it won't stress her out too much, but it needs to be done, to see if anything is wrong.

kattiekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well we are going in for our recheck/ bloods and X-rays in 45 minutes. I'm nervous because she is doi a lot better and I don't want to stress her out, but her eating habits are still a little off although she is eating a lot more. I want to be safe rather than sorry, but I really don't like stressing her. They are going to have to sedate her with buprenex, so she is going to be loopy on top of everything else. It has to be done though.
On e plus, she did eat more today. She is peeing and pooing normal and went in the window to look at birds. Now she is on her cat tree taking a nap, it sucks that I'm going to ruin her day in a little bit. Here's to hoping it all goes well!