Need parenting advice, I don't know what else to do

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
found this while looking at the above:
Attention Deficit Disorder/Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADD/ADHD). Child with ADD or ADHD may be eligible for special education under other health impairment, specific learning disability, and/or emotional disturbance categories if ADD/ADHD condition adversely affects educational performance.
and these
Other health impairment. Disability category under IDEA; refers to limited strength, vitality or alertness due to chronic or acute health problems that adversely affects educational performance.
Accommodations. Changes in how test is administered that do not substantially alter what the test measures; includes changes in presentation format, response format, test setting or test timing. Appropriate accommodations are made to level the playing field, i.e., to provide equal opportunity to demonstrate knowledge.
found them here: http://www.fetaweb.com/06/glossary.sped.legal.htm

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As a teacher, I think you need to have a good sit-down with the teacher and explain what you are trying to do at home, but that it is difficult when you don't know what his homework is. I'm not sure how things are where you live, but if a grade 6 student was having these difficulties and the teacher was refusing to support him, it would not be acceptable. If you don't get anywhere with the teacher, it's time to talk to the principal or learning support teacher (that's what they are called here....just the teacher who is in charge of IEPs, support of students with special needs, etc.).

If you can get the teacher to find a reliable way to make sure you are getting the homework he's supposed to be doing, I would also suggest going the positive reinforcement route that someone else suggested. Find something he's interested in (you mentioned he liked Pokemon and a few other things) and find a way to tie it into that. I've found that reward systems that give a small reward (ie. a sticker) and work up to a larger reward (ie. trip to McDonalds once he gets 5 stickers) can be successful and then be tapered off (ie. increase the "requirement" to 7 stickers, then 9, and so on).

Setting a routine (certain time) for homework completion might be good as well. If he doesn't have any homework from school (or says he doesn't), have a "stash" of relevent materials (workbooks, etc.) that he still has to do during that time. That way, telling you he has no homework really doesn't do any good because he still has to do the work anyway.

Another thing that might help is short intervals. Have him do work for 10 minutes, and then a 5 minute reward break (on the computer, watching TV, whatever he likes). A timer might help with this so that it's the timer telling him his break is over, and not mom and dad. I find that the time timer http://www.timetimer.com/ is especially helpful because kids can actually SEE the time they have left and prepare themselves for the transition (esp. helpful for PDD kids).

For all I know, you may have already tried these things, but these are the things I'd recommend if you were a parent of a child in my class.

Also, I'd recommend that you talk to your family doctor about the concerns you have with your child's behaviours. I know you've probably already done that, but if you're being dismissed, ask for a second opinion. I would never suggest to a parent that their child be medicated. Possibly that they talk to their doctor.

LOL...one more thing...being hyper and/or a behaviour problem is not the only reason I would think ADHD. For example, right now I have a little guy in my class with a late birthday who can be a bit of a behaviour problem, has some troubles on the yard, is a bit high strung, etc. To me, he's just a young boy. However, I have another boy who is very smart (the other boy is smart too) with similar issues (actually fewer behavioural issues), who I'm more concerned about. It's just based on how I see his functioning in the classroom - he can't get started, lacks organization, has difficulty staying focused (he'll be writing a sentence and then forget and start writing another sentence before finishing the first one), his stuff is all over the place all the time, and he isn't engaged on the carpet. These behaviours can be easy to miss, especially if you have one or two larger behaviour problems bogging down your attention as a teacher. And right now, in Grade 1, the fact is, he'll probably get through just fine. But my concern is in a few years when he's expected to take more respobsibility over his own assignments, etc. So, it IS possible that your son has been having difficulty the whole time, but that it was just overlooked or not considered "serious enough" at that time.

Wow...that was long...guess I'm preparing for parent-teacher interviews! I hope you found something in there remotely helpful!

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I didn't read all of the replies, but it sure sounded like you were talking about me when I was growing up! I was diagnosed Aphasic and ADD. I went through programs and special education courses throughout my educational career.

Does your school have a psychologist that can test him? That would get alot of questions answered.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with zoeysmom in that your son's teacher is a major fail. Good teaching is trying to reach all students, no matter what a child has been diagnosed with (or not); a good teacher will teach a concept in as many different ways as possible knowing that all students learn differently. And for any students who are struggling, a good teacher will put in extra effort to accommodate those students so they can keep up. Your son's teacher is being inflexible and is throwing roadblocks in your son's way, no wonder he is overwhelmed and is not able or willing to keep up.

If I were you (which I'm not and can't possibly know every nuance of your son), right now I would get on the internet and look up how to teach children with ADHD, Aspergers, dyslexia, and anything else you suspect your son might be dealing with. Find out the most effective non-drug treatments for these conditions. Don't worry if your son is officially diagnosed, assume he has these issues and train yourself how to help him.

Also, if you haven't already, pay close attention to his diet and don't let him eat anything with "artificial" in it. No artificial dyes, colors, or sugars, and it's not just the obvious places you have to check ingredients if you buy packaged foods. I'd also cut out or reduce as much refined food as possible: refined flours, sugars, oils. There has been great success in treating behavior and learning disabilities by cutting out artificial additives in diets.

I'd recommend pursuing more testing for you son but only after a few months on an artificial-free diet.

I don't know what to do about your son's bad teacher, that's always a tough one, and we've encountered the same problem here with a couple of our daughter's teachers. The only thing we could do is try to equip her to deal with things herself, and teach her how to teach herself.

You can't keep trying to push your son to do his homework or school work, but you can help him to stop feeling overwhelmed and let him know you are there when he asks for help. I'd also be honest with him and let him know his teacher isn't being much of help so he doesn't think the problem is all him.

Good luck and I hope this helps.