Need Opinions Regarding Revolution

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Petsmart have vets on location so they get around selling Advantage II as well.... That is the reason why they sold Advantage and Frontline even before it went retail/OTC.
The Petsmart here doesn't have a vet. . .they did have a Banfield but it closed last year. I see the point, though.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

The Petsmart here doesn't have a vet. . .they did have a Banfield but it closed last year. I see the point, though.
Petsmart as a chain do.... They can get away with it.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

As far as your question about the reactions to Revolution being live threatening, no, not at all - just severe skin reaction with blistering, abscessing, and a long time to heal..
I'm afraid I have to disagree. Revolution can kill specially if misused on a kitten. I just lost Roku.

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To reiterate a previous post, any medication can cause an adverse reaction, from minor to severe. I know with dogs, if a dog has heartworm and receives a heartworm preventive, there is a good chance of a severe reaction. Revolution is considered the safest, at least according.to the clinic where I work. We still have.to get clients to sign a.waiver.

I'm not sure if it's the same with cats but with revolution, there's no point in skipping a month because then your cat is not protected for that month. It gets absorbed into the bloodstream and stays active for 30 days. If you dont want that then I would ask your vet about an oral medication.

In my short two& a half year career at the hospital where I work, I have seen more cats react to Advantage. But it's still rare. I see more cats have severe reactions to store bought meds. In one case, a client tried.black walnut for their dog and ended up making their dog very sick. I believe he needed a blood transfusion.

I would personally opt for the revolution because it treats ear mites too. nothing against Advantage I just know more about Revolution.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

I'm afraid I have to disagree. Revolution can kill specially if misused on a kitten. I just lost Roku.
I am sorry for your loss... I was referring to my experience to Bugsy...
Now you say "misused in a kitten?" I suppose any of them can have dire consequences if misused in a kitten, unfortunately, not only and specifically Revolution...

What we are discussing here is using the medications on the correct dosages for the cats... I understand Roku was 3-4 weeks old... He was given a deadly dosage - IMHO this is not Revolution's fault, it is the Vet's fault - he overdosed your kitten

Any medication, as safe as it is, can be deadly - especially for tinny beings like kittens...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey y'all,

I want to thank y'all for all your responses, and apologize for not responding sooner.
There's been a lot going on lately, and I haven't logged on to TCS for about a week now.

I haven't applied the Revolution to my cats yet, so I still don't know if any of them will have a reaction to the stuff.
I don't plan on using it till need be, as I don't like putting anything like that on them unless it's necessary. I check them every day for fleas, and so far, so good.
I don't see the point in applying anything to them if they really don't need it.

Regarding over-the-counter flea stuff that you can get at Wal-Mart and the like, I never use that stuff.
I had a bad experience years ago using those Hartz flea collars, and learned my lesson over that.

Thanks for all your input, y'all.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, you are absolutely right, I would never use Hartz, Sargeants or any of those brands. The Advantage and Frontline (same as you used to get at the vet) are now being sold at some of the Targets and Walmarts, even Costco is selling the stuff. But the cheap flea/worming products I see sold at these stores make me cringe. I worry for all of those pets receiving those products by owners not knowing the dangers and deadly risks.