Need opinions on cat behavior during reintroductions

luvmyfurkids

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello fellow kitty lovers

I am writing to ask the opinion of anyone on this forum who have successfully reintroduced 2 former kitty best friends who have fallen out.

Around mid December my two best kitty buddies got into a series of awful fights. I know now this is sort of common when cats reach maturity. Sure was traumatic for me and them both

They have been separated since the fights with each having alternating free roam time. I have been brushing each with the same brush and exchanging blankets between the boys with no reaction.

Here is my question......one of the cats is tot ally relaxed in the rest of the house and is able to sleep and rub on all furniture, cat trees etc. No patrolling the door where the other cat stays or hissing growling. The other boy is still stressed. He paces and paces and meows during free roam time. He will relax a little and jump on my lap for a few minutes but still very alert. He also patrols the door where the other boy is staying. No hissing or growling but still alert that the other boy is behind the door. He will run over there if the other boy behind the door makes a noise or just sit there.

I gave him fluoxetine for his anxiety and he had a horrible reaction ( opposite of what it was supposed to do) so my vet gave me amitriptaline instead.

Has anyone else experienced this type of behavior? Does it stop in time? Should i start him on anti anxiety amitriptaline my vet gave me? Any advice or stories from someone who has been through this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no advice or experience with this.  Hopefully, someone will come along who does.  Just wanted to tell you to hang in there and thank you for your patience.