Need Opinions on Adopting an Older Cat

annericebowl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have the opportunity to adopt a 6 year-old altered female cat. I currently have an altered male that is about a year old. I have a 4 year-old daughter that is fairly good with animals. What do you think? The female cat is coming from a home that has an older child (he was holding her in the pic that was emailed to me).

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, if your male is good with other animals, it'd probably be just fine.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as the female is spayed and your male is neutered, it will be ok. Just read up on how to introduce them (slowly).

Its best to have her in a room by herself for a week or so and introduce her to your child and other cat slowly.

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think its a wonderful thing you are doing by adopting an older cat that most people may not even bother with. I hope everything works out for you. Keep us posted. But I say go for it!

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! Especially if you male does well with others and is a passive male and the intro is made slowly. We adopted Sammy when he was 8 last year and Saba was 2. Saba was used to older brother Sasha (14 RIP
) so it was easy - she took to Sam immediately and Sammy is very, very sweet and well-adjusted.

I applaud adopting older cats. They are wonderful and loving and can really blossom in a house full of love.
Please update us??????? I would very much like to hear about this!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

As long as the female is spayed and your male is neutered, it will be ok. Just read up on how to introduce them (slowly).

Its best to have her in a room by herself for a week or so and introduce her to your child and other cat slowly.
Good advice

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I say do it just follow the above give advise. you know the kittens will always find a home. Some one needs to give those adult/older kitties homes!!!
Good luck and keep us updated!!

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I say go for it. It is harder to find homes for older cats even if I don't think six is old at all.

I adopted a five year old female in May and she does just fine and we had seven other cats of various ages.

I have to say the one thing is that she is a loner cat. She is very affectionate with us but not with the other cats. She just avoids them. I assume she is this way because she was a single cat for five years.

Some cats take to other cats and some don't. They may become best pals but be prepared if they just tolerate each other. I just have to make sure everyone gets equal love and it is all good