Need newborn help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Usually the bottles are marked on the outside. The syringes usually have a mark, but they are usually tiny measurements, ml?     The kittens look big enough to take bottles by now. Do you have the Pet Ag brand?  They also have better nipples than the store brand, like Petco, which seem to be shorter. From memory, I gave my Stewart about 2 oz. per feeding, then 3.  I had a hard time at first because I couldn't get the hang of it. I almost lost him!  Once I got the hang of it, he would suck on that Pet Ag bottle so hard that it would concave!

One side of the bottles is ml. The other tablespoons. The milk is KMR.

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I don't know where my bottles are! But I remember that on the side, the markings were about a generous inch size increments. The brand was Pet Ag. Does that help a bit? Maybe someone with current babies, or has a bottle could answer better than me.  BTW  The kitten is adorable! Also, you can mix the KMR , 2 part water 1 part mix, use what you need, and refrigerate until later that day. I know they say not to microwave baby bottles, and I don't know if that is because of the BPA in the plastic, or the uncertainty of the uneven temp in the microwave. I did heat the filled to the 3 measurement, 11 seconds ( I have a small low power microwave, maybe 700 watts) shook like mad, tested that it was warm, NOT HOT, and feed. This was the Pet Ag bottle. I don't know if that's what you have, or what country you may be in.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Does anyone know how much of KMR (1/4 tsp?) to give them at each feeding? I no sooner start and they wiggle away like they're done.
They need 8 ml kmr / goat milk / OZ=g a day, as miniumum.  Say a kitten weights  200 gram, its about 7 oz, which gives  56 ml kmr or goat milk a day.

Say you give them food every third hour, 8 times a day.  It will give about 7 ml each time...

So yes, sometimes you must work to get more into them...

It sounds for me they get somewhat low at this moment.

and te way to know for sure if they gets enough is to weight them every day.  Do they gain enough, or not?

Last edited:

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went over a little while ago. I put about 15 ml of KMR in a bowl and they guzzled it up. They seem to be pretty much bowl trained now. One of them has loose stools that's possibly from the KMR. I'm going to ease up on bottle feeding. Lessen the amount and watch to make sure they're eating the canned. That is watch them as soon as I put the bowls down.

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My tiny choir of angels met me with screams of Breakfast mom!! They're doing well with the canned kitten Iams. Even the little guy. As you can see he climbs into the bowl. The area the lady prepared is awesome. Lots of room for them. We just need to get a safe litter now. I usually went home with half a can of Iams left. This morning none left. Maybe bottle feeding is over but still lots of cuddle time.

feralkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a great job you're doing with them! They are the cutest little things! They're so lucky to have you caring for them. Thanks for the pictures and updates. Best wishes!

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have they started growling while having their feeding frenzie?  I just love it when they get their cat on!

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not growling. Just feeding frenzie. Especially in the morning. I leave food out for them at night but they finish it off before I go back. It's refreshing to see the littlest guy eat canned.

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope someone can help me with this. As I said I'm giving the kittens KMR. It's warmed up before I do and fresh. I'm afraid it's contributing to their stools being mushy. Several of them wiggle away from the bottle seconds after I start. It's like they're saying ok I've had enough.

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think that they have moved on to big cat eating! They have realized that they kind of like the Iams better than KMR. Apparently their stools are evidence that they are needing more solids. Guess it's time to buy a flat of Iams!. I wouldn't worry. You can still give them the KMR, but have you replaced by using the stage 2?  My Stewart  kind of went pretty fast from mixed wet food and formula, to all wet food.  All sounds like things are progressing!  I know, they just grow so fast!

Last edited:

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nooooo they can't grow up!! [emoji]128546[/emoji] I can't wait until they're litter trained though. For now I use pee pads. I'll be looking for a fragrance free and non clumping litter. I've got tons of photos and clips of them. When they're old enough I'll have to contact a no kill rescue to take them. Another [emoji]128546[/emoji] to say bye to my angels. I can't give it much thought for now. I'll contact them later. I'll worry like a mother hen about where they're going. If they're loved.

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I want to thank everyone for your input while raising these tiny babes. Even Peanut, the littlest is doing well. His walking is improving.

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately my lease limits me to two. I have Mandie and Holly right now. I wish I could take them all. [emoji]128532[/emoji]