Need new cat advice - hiding under bed

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*waves* I haven't posted here in quite some time.  I find now that I need advice from my old (and new!) friends here.

I have had a new cat (4 years old) for three weeks.  Most of his time is spent under the bed.  It took him 3-4 days before he ate.  And now he will come out from under the bed in the evenings for pets and scratches and meows (he has to be part siamese!).  During the day - he won't come out, and during the night he prowls around - and if something is not engaging him - back under the bed he goes.

I know to be patient; however I also don't want the underside of my bed to become his "home".  Should I just continue to be patient? I have been considering taking the bed off its frame and sitting it on the floor so there is no where for him to go under the bed.

*sighs* I am pretty sure I know the answers - but I have never had a cat do this before!

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HI Tracey

My formerly feral kitten stayed under my bed (with trips out to play and eat etc) for about five weeks when we first got him before he started exploring the rest of the house. We let him do it at his own pace. Now he's all over the place and is super lovey / playful with my husband and I. So, yeah, it's hard, but just be patient and he'll come around :)

You can use teaser toys to play with him under the bed and entice him. 

Here is a video of my kitten when we first got him, and how we enticed him to play from under the bed. You could try that.

This is him under my bed coming out to play with some string. You can see he is still somewhat timid here (This is shortly after I first got him)

a couple of weeks later he is starting to get a little calmer around us, but still stays in his "safe spot"

This video is from about five or six weeks later. You can see he is much more relaxed. he's on a window perch / bed / lounger thing that he Looooves.

And this is from yesterday; Magnus is in our kitchen playing with some of his food ;)

He's coming up on his three month anniversary with us

Anyway, good luck with your baby. Be sure to post some pics so we can see him :)

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree you need to take it at his pace.  The idea of play to entice him out is good and since he will come out at night now you are clearly making progress.

What is his background?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He, along with most cats who have slaves on this site - has more toys than he probably knows what to do with! :)

He came from a local rescue group - where he had been for 3 years.  Not sure of his first year of life :(.  I didn't ask, but I assume he had been in the woman's basement/kitty playground with other cats that entire time.  He wasn't adopted in all that time most likely because he is black.  And well, I looooove the black cats.  Even going so far as to have a personalized car license plate

When I met him, he was friendly and wanted pets (and drooled to show how happy he was!)  He does this at night for a bit sitting on me and laying beside me -  before he suddenly remembers he should be under the bed :)

I do have 4 other cats (somehow I can't update my signaturre) but they are at my house in Ohio.  Unfortunately because of the economy and being laid off of work, I am in another state earning the money for the kibble.  I had been without a cat here (only got home every two weeks) for about 1.5 years.  Finally I decided I desperately needed a cat - my depession was just getting to much - and these guys give so much love!

I will give him time and love and hopefully he will trust me enough to become my own personal snuggle bunny.