Need Low Copper Food Recs

SunnyDay0801

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
6mo ragdoll pre-neuter ALT levels over 700. Liver biopsy lead to diagnosis of copper storage syndrome. It was caught early, so they don't think there is long term liver damage, but he will undergo chelation and be on a low-copper diet for the rest of his life.

Vet mentioned Royal Canin HP or Hills HP. Does anyone here have any other recommendations?

I saw a previous thread here where RC HP is at 7mg/kg. I found a Fromm that has 13mg/kg. But most don't list actual copper content.

I have other cats, and all will have to settle for the HP diet, so you d like some options.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SunnyDay0801

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been doing some research, if anyone else needs a low-copper diet.

Iams runs between
Kitten 22.85mg/kg to
Indoor 25.32mg/kg.
Adult, Senior, and digestive care are between those.

Purina ProPlan Veterinary RX diets
St/ox urinary 19.18mg/kg
HA 17.10mg/kg
NF renal 12.35mg/kg
NF advanced 9.29mg/kg

TonksCSH

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have a rescue Tonkinese that was diagnosed with Copper Storage Hepatopathy and so far the food with the lowest copper mg per kg is Merrick grain free Backcountry Duck. They are located in Lubbock, Texas and they told me that the contents contain 5mg per kg. So far Ella is doing great on this diet along with 50ius of vitamin E. Hope this helps! We go in for her 6 month liver blood work in a month, so fingers crossed that it’s getting better.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
We go in for her 6 month liver blood work in a month, so fingers crossed that it’s getting better.
Sending all my love and luck!!
Let us know what happens, you could start your own thread so we don't hijack this one :)