Need insight into my cats behavior

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What would happen if you ignored her and just sat in the other chair.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
What would happen if you ignored her and just sat in the other chair.
That's what I'm wondering, too. My husband and I both have the same favorite kitchen chair (which I use when we eat together), and Mogli decided it was his favorite, too. Once we both started deliberately sitting in the chair across from it, Mogli claimed that chair as his own, and has pretty much stuck with it. :lol3:

karissima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If play sessions are helping, please continue them. Ignoring her would likely only encourage more unpleasant actions. Think of a person who does not know your language: first they try acting out the idea, then they become frustrated and start being aggressive.
Using the box to attract her to the other chair is a good plan, and puzzle toys are also good. You can set a timer easily on your computer, phone, microwave, whatever. Set it for fifty minutes and when the timer sounds go play with her for five to ten minutes.
This helps relieve her anxiety because it establishes an expectation. Mommy is working right now, but soon she will pay attention to me. It also relieves eye strain, mental fatigue, and pectoral tension. And hourly breaks help with mental acuity. So, really, you're helping yourself and your kitty!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Just scanning here - I did read your original post, and watch the video.

Anytime I stick my hand out with hesitation - like I saw in the video -  depending on the cat, I could get swatted too.

How about just turning around and act like you're going to sit on her and see if she moves.

I didn't see anything strange or different in the video - she just wants your chair.  
​   I think someone already mentioned that it does have your smell and she likes it,  Maybe she believes she's the Alpha in this household.  Instead of making a small sound when she swats or growls at you why not try making a loud (authoritative) sound like a Mockingbird  makes.  All my 12+ cats know what I mean when I make a squawk sound - they stop whatever they're doing and behave.  

By the way, she's beautiful - you've probably told her so many times she figures the chair is her throne. 

Sorry I can't be of more help - but it's one of those days.  I'm currently sitting outside to keep one of my more friendly feral-born cats company.  She seems to be a cat that doesn't want to get along with her other brothers and sisters so she's  mostly a loner if her best-bud is hanging out with her older sister, sooo - today she was talking to me and I thought she could use some company -sorry, I digress.
​   

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was given some advice by a dog trainer with forty-odd years of experience behind her. If the animal is territorial over a chair or a sofa, remove it. Her suggestion was to up-end the chair and physically dump the animal out every time it sits there.

jadeleaf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sabbath often steals my chair the second my bum leaves it. He's usually quick to shift if I pretend I'm going to sit on him.

yoohoora

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ra and I used to fight over the chair all the time. The moment I'd stand up, he'd be sitting in it.  It was a dominance thing, I think.  Also, part game. So, I would pretend to sit on him and he'd move.  I guess my bottom was too intimidating a force.  hahaha  I needed to show him I was the dominant cat.  I don't know if this was the right thing to do or not, but he and I had a loving relationship.

I'm glad you offered your kitty a box.  Ra could never resist a box, no matter how grumpy he was.