Need input - FIV+ and FIV- cats living together. Risks/Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are they getting along? It seems like Henrietta and Orville are good friends now. Orville's sweet personality won her over I hope 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Henryetta not only sleeps near Orville, she has allowed him to sleep resting his head ON her. Occasionally, she will still hiss, growl and swat, but when she swats, he swats back. She will also sometimes chase him and play. Orville likes to play hide and pounce.  The vet thinks that Orville and Henryetta are either siblings or half-siblings. Their sweet personalities, and I'm speaking of their affectionate natures toward me, are very similar. After examining Henryetta today, she feels Henryetta is around 4, which is the same age as Chaucer. Orville is around that or a little younger.  I remember there were at least two cats across the street who were outside with humans and dachshunds. Henryetta was one, I'm sure. Orville may have been the other.

With Chaucer, Orville has a fascination with his "brother's" swishing long tail. It's cute to watch him pounce on Chaucer's tail, try to catch it and then try to chew on it. Chaucer's pretty tolerant.

I have been very fortunate that these three have personalities that eventually worked well together. If Orville and Chaucer weren't such social cats (to other cats) this might not have worked as well.

On a sad note, my neighbor's two cats are coming much more often to snack. One sits at my back door in the morning around 8:00, then around noon, and then around six. I noticed the older one's eyes are mattery and running. I don't know if they are being fed much, but I can sure tell they aren't being looked after. I don't really know these people. The elderly owner hasn't been on her back porch in months. I see the two very well-groomed and fluffed Pomeranian dogs outside, but the cats look kind of rough. Honestly, I can't afford to take on two more cats, although I will give them snacks and pet them when they want some attention.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Can you feed him in a separate room? I have a closet eater and she lets the others take over-so I usually block off the entrance to that room so she can eat in peace. She is the slowest eating kitty I have ever seen.

I hope they figure out whats going on with your boy. 

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Can you feed him in a separate room? I have a closet eater and she lets the others take over-so I usually block off the entrance to that room so she can eat in peace. She is the slowest eating kitty I have ever seen.

I hope they figure out whats going on with your boy. 

I've been trying that for the past couple of days. He might be eating a little more, but not much.  Like your kitty, Chaucer is a slow eater, more of a grazer. He eats a little, walks off, comes back in a few minutes, eats a tiny bit, goes off to do something else, comes back, etc.  I'm wondering if some of his weight loss is because Orville has joined us. He did not act this way when Henryetta moved in.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sorry for the redundant questions-when was the last blood work for Chaucer? I need to reread your story-my short term memory is shot. Sorry again for repeat questions. How is he otherwise?Has he slept anywhere not typical or other strange behavior or do you think its stress from Orville? Sorry I wish I knew what is going on..blood work can help rule out anything-most vets now do what is called a senior panel where you get blood and urine for hundred dollars-my vet puts it in this way even for my young cat...doesn't hurt to ask..I am glad I asked.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Chaucer probably has not had blood work done in a while. He's had stool tests which were negative for any sort of worrisome thing. It's most likely he has Irritable Bowel Disease which he has had since he was a kitten. (OH THE SMELL!)  He'll be 4 in May. I think it may be due to Orville joining us. I'm hoping it is not FIV. The vet said there is a very small chance.  I'm wondering about this too because Chaucer already seems to have the bowel disease so it may weaken him somewhat. He also had high-powered medicine as a 6 month-old kitten due to being a carrier of ringworm (he didn't get it, but I got it in two small places).  There was a risk for liver problems with the medication.

Orville, on the other hand, is flourishing. He is the picture of health - good appetite, playful, affectionate. He loves to play with Chaucer's tail. The two of them take turns chasing each other and wrestling, although Chaucer tends to chase Orville off and is the "Alpha" when they wrestle in terms of besting him. It's the meals and seating in the windows where Orville takes over.

Henryetta is overweight and less playful now that we have Orville.

Last edited:

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think the real culprit is Orville.  He makes Chaucer (and Henryetta) nervous. I noticed when the gardener was here the other day that Orville went into hiding and Chaucer ate periodically and played. Henryetta was more active as well. Hopefully, Orville will settle down and stop going after the wet food. All three dishes were completely clean this morning. Fortunately, it was only one can divided between all three.  Orville has a very playful, needy personality, and he also has to be "with" one of the cats, or with me.  Poor Henryetta gets the sitting around/sleeping stuff. He has to be next to her.  Chaucer is plaything. He won't leave Chaucer's long tail alone - chasing it, lightly chewing on it, swatting it. He also as a tendency to play hide-and-pounce on both cats. He's only been in the house about three months so this is all still new to him. He may be a very young cat as well, despite his size. He's clearly flourishing inside, but Chaucer is suffering. I'm not sure what to do. Chaucer can best him in playfights, though and when he's had enough, will turn on Orville, ending with Orville running off.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Chaucer had to spend the night at the vet's last night. He was straining to urinate and he'd lost another 7 oz in 10 days. I just learned that he has a UTI, but I don't know how long he has had it. Thankfully, FIV test was negative.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
stress can cause urinary issues. I am sorry things are not going well. I am glad you took him in to be looked at.

I take it they took urine and found things in the urine? They look for white and red blood cells and protein. I just got over one of my cats having a bacterial uti-her urine had all three in it=she was straining in the box every hour=I didn't know it was her until one day I stayed home from work and saw her going in and out of the box.

Sometimes they get stressed-I have found that they are better behaved when I do one on one playtime with the aggressor-Honeybee-otherwise she charges at the other two. They are all female and fixed. honeybee does the same thing to pumps tail=swat/bite/lick=or just run up to her-and pumpy hisses back. or runs away. These cats!

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Chaucer is better. He's been on antibiotics and was given an antispasmodic (as needed). His appetite returned and he has eaten probably 11 or 12 oz of wet food since Tuesday afternoon. He doesn't look as gaunt now and Orville seems to be leaving him alone and not going for his food.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Chaucer, I am gla

Chaucer is better. He's been on antibiotics and was given an antispasmodic (as needed). His appetite returned and he has eaten probably 11 or 12 oz of wet food since Tuesday afternoon. He doesn't look as gaunt now and Orville seems to be leaving him alone and not going for his food.
I am so happy that Chaucer is getting better.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you!  Chaucer is well, and playful again. All three get along well. I tend to forget about Orville's FIV, and I felt much better about it when Chaucer tested negative.    Orville is in love with Henryetta - she tolerates his closeness now and lets him sleep with her and on her- and he has found a brother in Chaucer.  I think he is content at last.  He has a home, friends/family, food, and is warm, dry, safe, and loved. And in return, like Henryetta, he is extremely loving and affectionate. I wonder if they really know they were saved from a tough life.

I want to add that there is a definite difference between Chaucer and his outdoor rescue friends. Chaucer has never been hungry, never had to fight with other cats for territory or food and has been around humans since he was a kitten. He's social with cats and humans and doesn't overeat. He doesn't scare easily.   Contrast that to Henryetta and Orville who are overweight- Over 11 pounds for Henryetta who is a smallish cat and Orville at over 13 pounds who is a large cat. Henryetta and Orville are not picky eaters and she wants a bite of whatever I'm having. They are both scared of humans, but Henryetta is getting better and might make an appearance. Both hide, even if someone is outside, and Orville is a little afraid of storms.

Last edited:

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like coming to this tread and reading the updates, It always puts a smile on my face. It is so nice to heard about, and seeing a good news story, to know that Orville was spared a life of difficulty and to see how this sweet boy only wanted to be loved. Thank you for sharing and I hope you can provide regular updates. Bless you for all that you have done for these beautiful cats.

Last edited:

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you!  Don't want to bore people, so glad to know a few aren't tired of the saga!

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

How are the kitties? I hope that the warmer weather is agreeing with them 
Thanks for asking.  They are very comfortable in the house, but they like to have a couple of high windows open so they can sit, look out and sniff the outside air.  I still have to leave the AC on in the house for me though.

Chaucer has gained weight. Orville is happy with the arrangement and is still in love with Henryetta. He even allows her in his bed, and sometimes gets in with her, crowding her. She doesn't seem to mind. He and Chaucer wrestle and play-fight and I am less concerned about Orville giving him FIV.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.