Need Ideas On How To Bind Newsletters Together

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Oh, yeah! An exciting post about office supplies!!! :hyper:

I want to keep monthly issues of 8-10 page, stapled newsletters together, without punching holes in the left margin. I wanted to do that, but noticed that some pages have a narrow margin, so separating the pages and putting them in a binder won't work. I could put each double-sided page in clear page protector, but I have years-worth--and that would be expensive. I thought about those 2-pocket, colored paper folders, but you'd have to take each newsletter out to read, which may place wear and tear on them. These are part of my club's history, which is why I am obsessing.

Any ideas from office supply geeks out there?? Thanks!

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
SAMS has 200 sheet protectors for $10. At 8 pages (or is it 4 double-sided?) you would have over 2 years of newsletters covered for that price, 4 years if they'e 4 double-sided sheets. Binder holes are built in. They'll offer the best protection for your newsletters. Buying the archival ones would be even better, but they're more expensive.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/samsi...ectors-200-pack/135555.ip?xid=plp:product:1:1

Good luck!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I like the sheet protector idea and that price isn't too bad; I used them for storing some of my PSP tutorials in binders, the ones that I didn't want to lose.

Too bad you don't have access to a small binder machine. You could take them to Staples and have them bind your newsletters.....not sure how much Staples would charge.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
If you use the sheet protectors, the holes are already outside on the protector so you don't have to put any holes in the newsletters themselves. I think you'll find binding to be much more expensive, probably a couple of dollars per newsletter. Of course, you could get a year's worth done in one binding. This, however, won't protect the pages from wear and tear.

Let us know what you decide.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thanks for the ideas! I just caved in, and used sheet protectors. I had a big pack of them already (I used them for my recipes). It took three hours!

The sad thing is, most likely, no one will even look at these. As of Monday night, I am now the Auxiliary President, and spent nine hours yesterday going through the clutter of 22 years--mostly generated by the last President, who is a hoarder. And I'm STILL not done, and that's with having spent another 8 hours a few weeks ago. She had two boxes of our so-called "history" and always whines about a former President who, "Threw out all of our history!!!". She said she'd kill anyone who touched those boxes. Guess I'm a marked woman now :biggrin:. Actually, most of the stuff just should have been filed--meeting minutes from various years, thank-you letters from the VA for things we donated, and State Auxiliary newsletters...OMG!!! I just realized that I have to do those, too. :help:

And I just know she's going to look for those two boxes first chance she gets.

The other stuff, I plan to scrapbook. Nothing fancy, just putting it in archival-safe books.

As much as I love to organize things, I am not a sentimental, keeping-stuff-that-people-gave-me kind of person. I prefer to keep memories, which take up a lot less space, and don't need dusting.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of organization is it? I think you're doing the right thing. Good for you! I know it's a lot of work. Been there, done that. Not going there again!

If the old biddy asks about the boxes, just tell her you got them organized and put them where they belong instead of letting them crumble away because no one could find anything and the boxes were deteriorating.

I agree about keeping memories. When we travel, I take photos, but I take a lot more mental photos. I also memorize the faces of people.

When people have a catastrophic loss such as a flood or a fire, the one thing they universally regret is the loss of their photos. Unless I get Alzheimer's or a memory-destroying brain injury, I'll always have those mental images that can't be taken from me.