Need Hypoallergenic/Limited Ingredient Food

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't put your cat on z/d unless it's a last resort! z/d gives my cat WICKED Diarrhea, wet or dry. Don't do it unless you have to, I think because it's so broken down it gives them diarrhea [it is the best hypoallergenic food out there]. Several animals I know on it hat wicked diarrhea. Although you might try it for a bit to see if it does help him because in between food trials you could put him back on that food to keep him stable.

Go ahead and try some a couple of the complete diets, if you're still having problems I fed my cat Evanger's Game Meats [technically for dogs] and just added Taurine to it. It's not necessarily complete, but for a food trial, you can do it for a long time without your cat being harmed. My cat was on this set up for 3 months just fine.

What foods has your cat been on? Any common ingredients?

The problem I see with the Avoderm, Nature Organics, and Sensible choice, is that it contains chicken which is high on the allergen list.

I would do any of the duck & pea/ Rabbit & pea/Venison & pea diets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blue ash

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think, for now, the first one I will try is the NB Venison & Pea. My kitty has not had Venison in years (if ever) and has never had peas in his diet.

I'm still not fully convinced that this is diet related, he passed some funky stools the other day including plastic from trash bags, and a large amount of plant matter (large for a cat at least.) And I'm still continuing to inspect his elimination habbits while he's in quarinteen.

I don't think he's allergic to Chicken, as when I switched him to the Lamb formula (containing no Chicken or Poultry products) he was still continuing to have issues.

It's now day... 3 of the bland diet, organic Chicken & Rice boiled and no signs of vomiting of either food or bile.

blue ash

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, so after about 3 days, Tage finally pooped late last night/early this morning!

It's normal colour and consistency, except that one of them is covered in a black mucous that by the time I found it was dried, so only one of the little piece of fecal was like this, the other two were normal.

We let him out of quarantine for a while yesterday under supervision so he could run around, and I gave him a proper belly rub to help stimulate him and hopefully get any gas moving that might be in there.

He's out again right now since he pooped and he's sitting on my lap *big surprise there*.
I gave him a teaspoon of the NB Venison & Pea's which he gobbled up! And didn't throw up. So I'll just going like that, slowly increasing the NB by one teaspoon every day. Since I started last night, he'll get one teaspoon today, then 2 teaspoons tonight, but will continue the bland diet at the same time.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yippy for Tage... the stool was likely the result of taking so long to get out

blue ash

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could very well be, though being black and tarry is generally an indication of blood. But being that it was only on one of the small pieces (the smallest) of the 3, hopefully it's not too big of a deal.

He's back in quarantine to see how the rest of his stools are, etc.

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Are you familiar with this brand? http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/cat...as/VenCat.html
One of my cats is on Z/D food right now to see if her constant scratching is food related. She's been on it since April. She is still scratching. I looked into the link above and thought the testimonials on the website sounded promising. I was just doing a little research before I call the vet who put Bella on Z/D food to talk to him about this food suggestion. On a whim, I went to the Science Diet website to see the ingredients in the Z/D food and noticed that they also have a venison and green pea dry formula for cats. Was anyone else aware of that?

Peace,
Sophie

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no more to add to the wonderful advice you are getting. I only wanted to send good vibes that this works. It must be so hard on both of you to be going through this vomiting and bile issues.