Need Hypoallergenic Food Help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO carageenan is also a likely culprit, research has shown it to cause bowel inflammation in some cats and humans.  There are only a few brands that don't have carageenan as a thickener, Nature's Variety is one of them. 
I have not heard of, or reconized this ingredient before, but thatnks for the info. I will definatly be looking out for it now.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If what you really want is a bland diet that is easy on his system, I would use a food that he is Not allergic too (or whatever protein source the hypoallergenic food is made of), and feed him that plus rice. When my vet prescribed hypoallergenic food, I refused and did trial and error on my own instead. I absolutely did not want to put my cat back on dry food after I had just weened him off of it. (And the ingredients in the hypo food scared me too much...)
It's totally up to you though.
Thanks, but I have tried to give him just plain chicken, or turkey, along w/ rice & he just was not interested.  He also preferres pate', I think maybe because he has two

teeth that were removed a couple of yrs. ago, one on each side of the bottom, about in the middle.  BUT, I have'nt tried putting it in the food proccessor.

Maybe thats my next step, once the cans of z/d are gone.( I think I have 3-4 cans left.)

I will keep you all posted.

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Soy is not good for them either. It makes me mad how pet companies just don't seem to care what they put in there! Even with non food related products! 

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Exactly! This is from my own research and is on my toxic and unsafe foods page: Soy is found in various forms in many products. It contains compounds called phytoestrogens that may negatively affect cats by interfering with nutrient absorption, normal growth, thyroid function, and hormonal development. Hyperthyroidism is extremely common in cats so soy should not be in cat food even in small amounts. Unfortunately, soy is a common ingredient used by pet food manufacturers.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks you guys for the info. I will check it out. I don't think any of his foods had it in it, but will be sure to double check in the future.

Yes, I also know how bad soy is. I was a buyer in the wellness dpt. of our local Natural Food Co-op, for 6 & 1/2 yrs

. After finding that soy was bad on me, I educated a lot of people about it. Especially pregnant women!!

chloezoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

I couldn't find the Chinese herbal formulas online without a prescription.  Do you know of one or did you have a prescription from your vet?

Thanks!