Need help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newbieneedshelp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually no. She is doing really well, nuzzled under my chin and purred when I held her. Last night I was freaking out because she had been chewing and attempting to eat stuff that wasn't food. I guess I love her a ton and went into overdrive with worry that she might have eaten the kitten clump litter that I used, although I hadn't witnessed that. I removed that, and any other hazards and replaced the litter with organic ground wheat from the supermarket. She ate, played and pooped this AM, so all is well. It's been a while since I had a kitten, so I am worried like a crazy new parent. She is going to work out fine. And she loves Mozart and Gershwin.

newbieneedshelp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I apologize for my panic modes, and I should apologize in advance for the next one, because I'm sure it will happen again, lol.

jerry l

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great. I'm pleased to hear that it's working out. Based on her purring when holding her, It appears that you shouldn't have any problems going forward. If you still have her isolated from the other cats, you may want to consider letting her out to explore. I'm sure that she will do just fine. Expect some hissing between her and the other cats for a day or two.

Now this is a cat with class, if she enjoys Mozart. 

Good luck  

newbieneedshelp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So things are progressing. She is getting used to us. We can pick her up and pet her, but we kind of have to force it on her, and then she loves it and does baby meows. One of my older cats, who was/is kind of the baby was playing all cutesy and wanted to go in the room where the new kitten is. For a brief moment, I took the child gate and placed it in front of her with the door open. She seemed genuinely interested in the baby. The baby noticed her and came to the door in a very friendly way. SHe was excited and happy to see another cat. Unfortunately, before she could get to the gate, my other cat hissed, spit and hit the gate with her hand. I told her that wasn't nice. She knows what that means. I closed the door, and the baby was in the corner a little scared for a minute. But then she was right back up for playing. When I exited the room, my other hat was rubbing against me, and I told her I loved her and pet her. Her behavior hasn't changed. She isn't depressed or angry. How do I get my older cats to not reject the little addition?

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Time and patience. The first intro was a little rough but gradually, the older cat will get used to the idea. Try this: rub the newcomer with one end of a towel. Rub the older cat with the other. Place the towel under the door, with the newcomer's scent on the older cat's side (and vice versa). Now, feed a treat to both of them on top of the towel. Your other cat will want one, too probably. :) This will help them associate the other's smell with good things, like treats.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Time and patience. The first intro was a little rough but gradually, the older cat will get used to the idea. Try this: rub the newcomer with one end of a towel. Rub the older cat with the other. Place the towel under the door, with the newcomer's scent on the older cat's side (and vice versa). Now, feed a treat to both of them on top of the towel. Your other cat will want one, too probably.
This will help them associate the other's smell with good things, like treats.
Definitely start with scent swapping.  You can do this every day.  I would rotate where I placed the others scent.  Some days it would go to a favorite sleeping spot and others it would go under their food bowls. 

Also read the info on cat introductions

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some hissing, or even swiping with paw is normal and not dangerous, as long as this swiping paw is soft. (not clawing).  They want to demonstrate they are, after all, in charge here.

I would say, this sounds promising.  Do proceed with the scent swapping to make if safe and scientific, but its probably not strictly necessary, as they both seems to be interested with each other.

Dont forget to be very mommy to your residets, as you are.  So they wont have any reason to be jelaous and sour on the little one who is new.

Good luck!

newbieneedshelp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the info, guys, and thank you Stefan for the reassurances.