TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was cooking supper and out of the blue my cat attacks me. Any suggestions

catwhisperer1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You don't state the age of your cat or give enough details to really evaluate the situation.

Was your cat just attacking you out of play?  I have a young cat who loves to hide under my bed and grab at my ankles as I walk by.  It's all in play.  When he's gotten too rough, I've hissed at him and fixed the bedspread so it no longer was so long and deprived him of his hiding place for awhile.  He consequently learned to inhibit himself when engaging in this kind of play so I don't spoil his fun completely.

Young cats and kittens especially will often stalk and grab pant legs, etc all in play.

Something may have scared your cat.  A scared cat, just like any scared animal and scared humans too, will often panic and lash out in defensive aggression at anyone human or animal who is too close to him at that time.

Do you have young children or other animals in the house?  A cat who has just been hurt by a child, roughed up by a dog, or attacked by another cat will often panic and defensively attack anyone who gets too close to him while he's in such a state of panic.

If your cat was truly attacking you, not playing, and you can't figure out anything that could have frightened him or caused him to attack, have him checked by the veterinarian.  He may have an illness or an injury or other medical problem and may have been reacting to pain.

In all the years I've had cats and worked with cats, I've only seen one that was truly aggressive and would seriously attack a human and after he was euthanized for attacking himself, autopsy revealed he had had a brain tumor.