Need help with which cat food is best to feed my feral cats. If dry food which is best?

bsievers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband and I have many feral cats because we live in a place that does not have animal control. We are trying to get them all spayed and neutered but we are in our senior years and my husband is disabled. I have been feeding them Purina Cat and kitten chow but it seems very hard for them to chew.Any advice is greatly appreciated.thanks, bsievers

Last edited by a moderator:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Purina Cat Chow is the best of the cheap cat foods, IMO. Cat food companies have found that cats prefer the x shape, so it really shouldn't be too hard for healthy cats, although of course one with dental issues may have trouble.

If it's possible with your given budget, switching to Cat Chow Naturals or Purina ONE might help. They have smaller, oval shaped kibbles.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You could try to see if these cats would eat the dry food with some water added to soften it up a bit. This might require you to throw out and replace the food a bit more often if they don't eat it all at once. Dry food that is moistened tends to go bad faster.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bsievers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Purina Cat Chow is the best of the cheap cat foods, IMO. Cat food companies have found that cats prefer the x shape, so it really shouldn't be too hard for healthy cats, although of course one with dental issues may have trouble.

If it's possible with your given budget, switching to Cat Chow Naturals or Purina ONE might help. They have smaller, oval shaped kibbles.
I will try that. Thanks

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used Purins for the ferals here too. I also live on a fixed income. At times I stretch the food a bit by adding cooked white rice that was cooked with Dollar General canned white chicken meat. The broth and tiny flecks of meat were added to dry for older cats. (Don’t add salt or anything) As mentioned above, don’t let moistened dry food sit out too long. Some of my ferals didn’t really like moistened dry so a side dish of the dry only was offered. How many cats are in the colony? I was feeding a LOT but TNR reduced the numbers and I socialized a great many and they did get adopted. That reduced the numbers greatly! Thank you for being there to care for those kitties! You are a kitty hero!