Need Help With Very Aggressive Kitten

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC1819

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey! I have a kitten that I rescued last week. She was a feral that was abandoned by her mom. We think she's about 4-5 weeks old. At first she was super lovey and sweet and we could hold her and everything. Then we've started to notice that she is very aggressive. She's always scratching and biting everyone. She has a few toys but she's more interested in arms and hands. And everyday she claws and bites a little harder and plays a little more rough. What do I do? And like I said she's only about 4-5 weeks so I can't really punish her. She doesn't understand it. Even right after she wakes up she's rough. I'm trying to get her to sleep at night. I have to keep her in a kennel to sleep. If I let her roam around she'll climb up onto my bed when I'm sleeping and scratch and bite my arms, legs, body etc. And if she's not clawing or biting she's sleeping. Even when you walk by or are sitting on the couch she'll find your limbs and claw and bite. It hurts. You can't pet her without her having her scratch and bite you. It's frustrating. We've tried the method that many other people on here have recommended (the one where you make a loud noise and then either take her off you or walk away) but it doesn't seem to be working. When you try to walk away she'll chase you. And when you try to take her of you she'll latch onto you with her claws and bite. You can't get her off. What do I do?! I need help!!!! It seems like she will NEVER learn. I really hope she does. I've thought about declawing but I know that is very inhumane. It seems ideal right now but I would feel bad if I did that to her.

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since it hurts, I'm guessing she is a bit older than you think...probably closer 8 weeks. The advice you've seen (mostly about getting up and leaving) is accurate...it is what her litter mates and mom would be doing at this point. The main key is consistency...never let her think that hands/feet/people are appropriate toys. And everyone in the house has to be on board with this. Also, provide things that *are* appropriate to play with...feather toys, Da Bird, and so on.

She should instinctively grow out of the behavior, as long as you "teach" her that the fun ends when she gets too rough.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AC1819

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_0618.JPG
Since it hurts, I'm guessing she is a bit older than you think...probably closer 8 weeks. The advice you've seen (mostly about getting up and leaving) is accurate...it is what her litter mates and mom would be doing at this point. The main key is consistency...never let her think that hands/feet/people are appropriate toys. And everyone in the house has to be on board with this. Also, provide things that *are* appropriate to play with...feather toys, Da Bird, and so on.

She should instinctively grow out of the behavior, as long as you "teach" her that the fun ends when she gets too rough.

She's pretty tiny, though. And still wobbly on her feet. She's definitely young. And thanks for the tips, but I have tried those. It doesn't seem to be working. That's the reason why I need extra help.

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She isnt aggressive she tries to play. Her siblings and momma would mark it hurts yelping perhaps hissing, and cease the play. Give her A stuffed animal to wrestle with. Perhaps even another kitten...

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please, please do not ever declaw her. You will be mutilating her for completely normal kitten behavior. I would strongly suggest rehoming before considering a permanent disfigurement. She is a baby! If you remove her claws, she will develop other habits, like using her teeth far more.

She is not aggressive, but she is looking for a playmate and for more stimulation. How do you play with her? Do you tire her out several times a day?

Have some patience.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You want to cuddle her as part of fostering. but she sees cuddling as a sort of play, and immediately attacks / plays with the hand...
So use the trick recommended with fostering shy semiferales: use a wooden spoon to stroke her and cuddle. Why wooden? because it feels almost soft and warm And why spoon? because its nicely curved, and reinforces the mild, nice feeling...

And if she happens to begin to play with the spoon, it doesnt hurt none. :)

AC1819

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You want to cuddle her as part of fostering. but she sees cuddling as a sort of play, and immediately attacks / plays with the hand...
So use the trick recommended with fostering shy semiferales: use a wooden spoon to stroke her and cuddle. Why wooden? because it feels almost soft and warm And why spoon? because its nicely curved, and reinforces the mild, nice feeling...

And if she happens to begin to play with the spoon, it doesnt hurt none. :)
We are keeping her. She's not a foster. When I use those methods she thinks it's a game. She will chase my feet around biting them and scratching them. I can't get away from her. If I put her away from me she'll run back and do the same thing. Are there any other methods?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hiss at her when she attacks your feet. She will get the message.

AC1819

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you please elaborate on how you play with her?
I'm trying to teach her that hands are not toys. Therefor, I don't play with her. I give her toys or I'll drag around one of those feather on a string or mouse on a string. She will play with those for a minute but she finds limbs more interesting. When she "plays" with me (scratches and bites me) I just try to get her off and she won't come off. The bites don't hurt but the scratches do.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to teach her that hands are not toys. Therefor, I don't play with her. I give her toys or I'll drag around one of those feather on a string or mouse on a string. She will play with those for a minute but she finds limbs more interesting. When she "plays" with me (scratches and bites me) I just try to get her off and she won't come off. The bites don't hurt but the scratches do.
That's not enough. She needs a lot of interactive play time to burn off all of her kitten energy. She is bored, looking to you for play, and will get increasingly desperate. It's really unfair to her.

First, clip her nails every week.

Second, get some toys that put distance between you and the kitten. A laser and a wand toy are excellent. Maybe even one of the toys with the ball in a track that she can play with by herself. She MUST have an outlet. She is a baby and learning how to interact with the world.

Last, get a kickeroo. This is the size of another kitten roughly, and you give it to her instead of your arm or leg when she starts to play too rough.

AC1819

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's not enough. She needs a lot of interactive play time to burn off all of her kitten energy. She is bored, looking to you for play, and will get increasingly desperate. It's really unfair to her.

First, clip her nails every week.

Second, get some toys that put distance between you and the kitten. A laser and a wand toy are excellent. Maybe even one of the toys with the ball in a track that she can play with by herself. She MUST have an outlet. She is a baby and learning how to interact with the world.

Last, get a kickeroo. This is the size of another kitten roughly, and you give it to her instead of your arm or leg when she starts to play too rough.
And will she eventually grow out of this?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Her bites dont hurt, you write. See? Its the proof she knows its just play, its not supposed to hurt. Its not her fault she has sharp nails, and it hurts...

YOU are the adult here, so you must find solutions and avoidances. :)

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do not declaw please (there is a reason why this is illegal in some countries ). She will grow out of being so agressive. If separated too soon from mum cat and litter mates they miss the life skill re learning how to quit and stop being agressive so you have to teach this ! I agree with others - intense play to tire her will work ! I used to sit on the bed with a large glove on my hand spinning a toy on a string which she would chase in circles until she used fall down ! I used do this every night .. Clapping and making a noise never worked so I used to hiss at her and pant back if she did to me . Time out i even have to do now . If she gets too excited shout no and put her in a different room on her own for a bit. She will grow out of it !

AC1819

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do not declaw please (there is a reason why this is illegal in some countries ). She will grow out of being so agressive. If separated too soon from mum cat and litter mates they miss the life skill re learning how to quit and stop being agressive so you have to teach this ! I agree with others - intense play to tire her will work ! I used to sit on the bed with a large glove on my hand spinning a toy on a string which she would chase in circles until she used fall down ! I used do this every night .. Clapping and making a noise never worked so I used to hiss at her and pant back if she did to me . Time out i even have to do now . If she gets too excited shout no and put her in a different room on her own for a bit. She will grow out of it !
I think it's the same for my kitty. The loud noises don't work for her. They just don't teach her anything. I'm going to tell you the truth... I tried hissing when she would scratch and bite me and it worked!! I only did it 2 times and she's being less aggressive with me now!! I tried this only about 10 minutes before you suggested this. How funny right?! Thank you for the tips and advise. I really love her and it's just hard when she plays how she does. She'll latch onto my arm with her claws and then bites my fingers so I can't get her off. I'll attach a pic of what she does. But I think that the hissing will work. Thank you!!!!

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Whenever baby Link got in a kick and wrestle mood he got his squirrel toy wiggled around his tummy.

Have a kickaroo or large cat stuffed toy (even a small kids stuffed animal will work) in each room and when she starts wanting to wrestle you insert the toy between you and her. Notice the signs that she is getting in that mood and stop it before it starts. Better is to prevent it with dedicated play time using appropriate toys instead of hands or feet. If it is triggered by petting then you have a toy within reach any time you pet and the second she seems to be starting to play you switch.

You have to be Mom cat for her. You have to be consistent and be firm for her own good when it comes to responses to claws and teeth.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
AC1819 AC1819 has another thread on this topic in Strays and Ferals.
Since there is a lot of duplication of information in these two threads, we'll lock this one.
Thank you for all your wonderful advice and please continue to help this member in the other thread. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.