Need help with underweight kitten, and outdoor shelter

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Also, I looked at the different counties, and the only counties that are open to anyone are at least a good 2-3 hours away. Thank you though. I will check out a place like petsmart or something along those lines. 
It never hurts to call and explain your situation, even for the ones that seem limited to those with jobs.  It's so important for your cat, and I know you are trying to do everything you can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

olivial

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her eyes are getting a lot better, now that she is in the warmth most of the day. The only times that she is really outside is when I do chores when I feed the cats their dry food, and when it is above 35 degrees. We purchased a small bed for her, and put that in her cage so when she is outside, she is in her cage with the bed. She is still eating the moist cat food, and it seems to be doing a little good. Also, I talked to my parents and they won't take me to the vets, not matter how cheap. I have a feeling that she will become an indoor cat before I know it, so then she will have to get her shots and be fixed. Just a lot more pushing. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

What if you say that the cat if yours?
I think that as @OliviaL  is under 18 it would be difficult for her to take on full responsibility for the cat. I'm sure the clinics will want an adult to sign up as the cat's "owner".

Olivia, are your parents willing to pay for her vet bills if she becomes a 100% indoor cat? If that's the case you could try making the transition to indoor cat. It sounds like your almost there already.

[article="33261"]The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside​[/article]  

[article="22537"]Keeping Indoor Only Kitties Happy​[/article]  

[article="22410"]How To Make Your Home And Garden Safe For Your Cat​[/article]  

olivial

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am trying so hard to convince them. My step-dad is against having animals in the house, but my mom is okay with it. I am getting closer and closer, but it may take a good month or so. Until then, she is in the garage as much as possible. Today she was in the garage for almost 24 hours. She was only outside for about an hour, when she got her dry cat food with the other cats. 

olivial

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Would anyone be able to help me find out what breed of cat she is. I can take more pictures, and describe her very well. I don't need to know, but I would like to know. She is a very pretty cat, and I would like to know what breed she is. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

Would anyone be able to help me find out what breed of cat she is. I can take more pictures, and describe her very well. I don't need to know, but I would like to know. She is a very pretty cat, and I would like to know what breed she is. 
Sure, we can try.

From the picture in this thread I'd say she's a domestic short hair, possibly lynx point. If you could post some clearer pictures that would be helpful.

olivial

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here are some more pictures. Sorry for the bad pictures, she wouldn't sit still :( There are also pictures of the mother and father, if that helps. The father is the orange cat. The mother is the other.

I was just wondering, my mom smokes. Could that have anything to do with her eyes. My mom is only allowed to smoke in the only room that pebbles is aloud. 

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, that ginger tom looks like a proper farm cat!

I think your kitten is a DSH point. Does she still have blue eyes? If they are still blue at 4 or 5 months old she could be a point. I think I'm seeing a tabby mask and some light tabby markings on her body, but I can't say for sure what colour she is. Do her ears and tail seem more brown or grey to you? What colour paws does she have?

I have two pointed cats, brother and sister. The mother looked a lot like your mother cat but the father was a dilute grey tabby, the one in my avatar.

Lets ask @StefanZ  He'll be able to tell you in more detail.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I too think the kitten is a oomestic point and tabby, so its called for lynx point.   Neither I see the color of point properly - its easiest to see on: backside of the ears, the tail, and the masque on the face in third hand.

My guess its blue point, as is the color of momma.

Momma seems to be a spotted tabby - may be broken mackerel, but may be spotted for real.    A good photo of the backside and side would help.

Both parents are apparently carriers of the point gene, although none of them is themselves point.  This gives typically one kitten of four a point, and three non-points.

Cats are usually not that sensitive to cigarette smoke (unless its  heavy), but of course, its not healthy for cats eyes nor the rest.   Passive smoking may be as dangerous as smoking in person.

So yeah, I can imagine the passive smoking may have beein "the straw which broke the camels backbone"  as the proverb says.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I notice I had commented already earlier the kittens is a point.  I commented also the body is rather darkish for a young point.  And one explanation could be she was much in the cold.

BUT, lynx points (tabby points) tend to darken up, as the tabby pattern and coloration covers more area on the body than just the masque on the face.

Last edited:

olivial

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her paws are closer to a grayish-black color. The half of her spine area is a darker orange/brown color, if you couldn't see in the picture. We had one just like her in our last litter, but she ended up passing. This year it was a litter of 5 with 2 kittens that look like her. There was her and her brother. The brother ended up dying. Thank you for all of the help. I was looking up all of the things that you were saying, and it describes her perfectly. My mom is a very heavy smoker, and I have noticed, that when I bring her into the garage when my mom has been smoking, her eyes start to water and turn red. Again thanks to everyone, and Pebbles says thank you also. 

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Would there be anyway for you to reach out to a rescue in your area to see if you can get mom and dad fixed? It sounds like Mom has had many litters, which can be really hard on her, and multiple kittens pass. I am sure we could help you find a rescue that can help!

olivial

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So far it has been fine, but she keeps getting bred later and later in the season. Then she has her kittens later and later in the summer. It wouldn't really help to get them fixed because there are so many other cats. All of the stray cats in our area come to our house because we lay out food. It is like when one cat passes, two more are there. We would have to get all of the cats fixed, and then there would be all of the strays. Thank you though. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like the cigarette smoke is bothering the kitten's eyes. Is there a window in the garage that can be cracked when your mom smokes? Or can you bring the kitten in the house while your mom smokes? This does not sound healthy for the kitten.

Last edited:

olivial

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have these large glass sliding doors, and I sit next to them with them cracked. It seems to be helping the whole family. When I sit in front of the door, it seems to make her eyes better.  

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's good. Thank you. I'm still hoping you will be able to keep the kitten inside for good soon.

olivial

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your not the only one. My mom is on board with the idea, while my step-dad barely lets her sleep in the garage.  

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You've just got to get your Mum to work on persuading your step-dad then.

With so many feral cats around it might be a good idea to get a TNR program to help you. It really is the most humane thing to get all the cats spayed and neutered, especially as so many of the kittens end up suffering and dying. The more litters the mother has the more likely she is to get cancer or to pick up some other fatal disease. Feline AIDS and Feline Infectious Leukemia are spread by unfixed cats. It would be awful if she got something like that.

Could any of these organisations help you?

http://www.wihumane.org/services/tnr

https://foxvalleypets.org/tnr-program/

http://catsanonymous.org/

http://www.humanesociety.org/assets...l?state=WI?referrer=https://www.google.co.jp/

olivial

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the resources. I will give them a try. 

olivial

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody, and a happy new year. I just wanted to say thank you for all of your help. Pebbles is in the house now, the outdoor cats got fixed, and we are getting a puppy! I just wanted to update you guys and say thank you.