Need Help With Sick Kitten

Jpark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So a kitten who's 10wks old wanted in to my house. I took her to the vet right away. First visit did not go well. Second visit the next day they told me that she had maggots on her, and that she was born without a tail. She also doesn't walk right and doesn't know she's peeing or pooping herself. They gave me antibiotics, a stool softner, and dewarmed her. Everyday she's getting a little better. My vet doesn't want me to diaper her yet and doesn't want to see her for a month. They told me to stop giving her the stool softner when her poop is runny. Another vet told me she'll have to be on this med forever. Plus she's bloated and i haven't seen a maagot on her for a week. I'm not sure what to think. I just don't want her to get sick again. Any info would be a help.

Snowhite525

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if maybe she has some kind of spinal cord abnormality...that could explain why she walks funny, has no tail, and no control as to when she urinates or defecates. It'd be REALLY interesting to see an X-ray of her hind quarters....where was her trauma that she had maggots? It wasnt anywhere around her hind quarters was it? I only ask because maggots are usually associated with open wounds and if she had trauma of some sort in her back end that too could be an issue. The bloating could be a indicator of still having intestinal parasites...or other things. Do you happen to know what they dewormed her with?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jpark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The maggots were on her back end. I'm guessing the dewormer was Pryrantel Pamoate. I'm nervous that they didn't refill her antibiotic and that she's going to go down hill again. She's doing so much better that i don't want her to go backwards. They at first thought her tail was bitten off then they shaved her back end and said that she was born this way.

Snowhite525

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens do have a tendency to be very delicate creatures. They can go backwards quickly if they aren't receiving proper treatment. It's good to hear that she is showing improvement though. Is her sore where she had maggots still open? As far as deworming, Pyrantel is pretty good, but it does require a second dose two weeks after administering the first one. Did she get two? Or just the initial?

Jpark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittens do have a tendency to be very delicate creatures. They can go backwards quickly if they aren't receiving proper treatment. It's good to hear that she is showing improvement though. Is her sore where she had maggots still open? As far as deworming, Pyrantel is pretty good, but it does require a second dose two weeks after administering the first one. Did she get two? Or just the initial?
She still has sores but they are healing. She just got the initial dose and the vet told me to come back in a month. The stool medicine i still give her for about a week now but she poops but it isn't runny.

Jpark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They only gave her the initial deworming. They said to come back in a month. I will also be out of antibiotics soon. Plus she's on a poop medicine that she's been taking for a week. Her poop isn't runny it's just normal.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, what to know is, is she having her issues because of the damages connected with the lack of tail (there are sometimes internal damages too), or were they simply because of her being sick, with worms etc...

If the other, she should live a normal life once healthy.

As the vet said diaper is not necessary as yet, I suppose he think she was simply weak and sick, NOT deformed.

Her poop is normal now you say, so she isnt soiling herself no more?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps. Pyrantel is mild and good against roundworms. Which she surely had. Most kittens born to moms allowed to go outside has them. But if she had fleas, she may have also tape worms. so she may need another dewormer too. Milbomax perhaps.