Need Help With My 2 Cats

RachelJ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I initially had an adult male bengal x when we got another female bengal kitten. He hissed at her the first day but by the following day they were cuddling up to each other. Sadly he passed away and we got another young male. We've had him for around 1 year and a half and we still have issues.

For the most part, they live together just fine and she will often groom him (lick his head). She often initiates play with him but when he starts playing back, i.e. pawing her (doesn't use his claws) or coming near her, she does an awful growl and/or hissing and cowers.

It got to the point that when we were coming home we were finding poo and pee around the house - I assume from the female when she was being chased or when my male cat was trying to play. I know she sounds like a victim here but trust me - the majority of the time she doesn't act like one! We now separate them when we go out and this seems to have resolved the toilet issue. There's still some growling and hissing though even when we are at home.

Sometimes they can be sat next to each other quite relaxed (they will never snuggle) and other times they are very on edge. She seems to be a very jealous cat and doesn't like to let him participate in games. He can also be quite scared of her and will avoid, for example, being on the bed or the sofa at the same time.

What is the problem and what can I do to improve the situation??

Both cats have been spayed.

Thanks

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. What are the names of your cats?

FYI male cats are neutered, not spayed. The two surgeries are totally different.

How long are you out of the house? I don't like confining cats to one room for this reason unless there are litterbox and bowl sharing issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RachelJ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. What are the names of your cats?

FYI male cats are neutered, not spayed. The two surgeries are totally different.

How long are you out of the house? I don't like confining cats to one room for this reason unless there are litterbox and bowl sharing issues.
The longest they will be left in the house alone for is 5-6 hours. One has a large kitchen and utility and the other has the rest of the house. This is just because of the way the house splits.

I didn't want to separate them but didn't know what else to do as the female was clearly at times in distress and I couldn't face cleaning any more wee or poo. They definitely seem to have improved with each other since splitting them but I don't want this to be a long term solution.

It's not like they don't get on some of the time which is why I find the situation really confusing.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can only imagine how frustrating this must be for you. Since you're already separating them, maybe go through all the steps in a re-introduction.

Do they use both litter boxes? If so, may try putting down a third one. The "rule" is one litter box per cat, plus one. So maybe a 3rd one in a different part of the house might help.