Need help with kittens

catdad1953

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We found a mother cat and her five kittens. We can't take on more cats. I don't want to take them to the ASPCA and have them put down in a few weeks. The mother is still feeding them and they are running around and getting under out cars. We just don't want to see them put down

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Give us your city and state and we’ll look for no-kill shelters for you.

In the meantime, can you catch them and get them inside a large dog crate or a bathroom for now?

How old are the kittens? Are you feeding them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catdad1953

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are in Sumter SC. The kittens are about 4 weeks. Yes I can catch them and put them in a dog crate. They will eat a little kitten chow but the mother cat is still nursing them. I had them in a box but the mom busted them out.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try posting on the local Facebook pet pages. There may be someone who's willing to take them (do a little screening just to make sure they aren't going to be used as bait animals or anything) or will have a suggestion about which shelter to take them to.

Also, nowadays a lot of "kill shelters" are doing a lot better and many are quite capable of finding homes for healthy kittens and friendly mama cats. Try to get an idea of what kind of shelter your local Humane Society/SPCA is. They may be honest with you if you call, or you can try to find their kill rate online, etc.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes. The danger of immediate pts is greatest with orphan infants, where its necessary to have a fosterer doing all the job. Or where momma isnt handleable.

If they have momma, AND OR are able to be running around themselves, and healthy, the danger of immediate pts is much lesser. Because, if dire need, its even possible to adopt them kittens out if they dont have any better solution.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here is a rescue organization in your area:

Carolina Helping Paws Rescue

Thanks for taking charge here. They will all be better off getting vetted and fixed and rehomed than running loose and breeding, including mom. Kittens need to stay with mom another 4 weeks anyway.

Keep us posted!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a vet that you know that can take them in? I asked this because a lot of vets are connected with rescue groups. How about a Petsmart or Petco near you? Don't call them because they either won't answer or they will say no- just gather mom and the little guys up and take them in. Its a lot harder for them to say no if they are looking at the kittens.