Need help with indentification of breed.

purrrfection

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a Kitten that is about 7 weeks old, it was sussgested to me that he may be a Sokoke, and I should find out before I neuter him. He has all the markings that have been listed as well as the personality traits right down to the walking tip toed and jumping in the shower with me.  His pictures are posted, can anyone help?

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Even if a breeder could let a 7 week old kitten escape, Sokokes are EXTREMELY rare. Since he doesn't have papers, he's just a domestic shorthair, i.e. like 90% of cats. His pattern is called classic tabby.

But he is beautiful!! :clap:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not seeing any photos, but chances are pretty much zero that he's a Sokoke. 

Even if he beat the odds and was, without papers being entire is completely useless, no registered breeder will touch him without papers and not being a breeder yourself. 

boney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we found our kitten abandoned in a tree trunk.  his sibling was all white.  someone saw our cat on facebook and suggested he is a sokoke....i suppose we need dna test to be sure.  

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

we found our kitten abandoned in a tree trunk.  his sibling was all white.  someone saw our cat on facebook and suggested he is a sokoke....i suppose we need dna test to be sure.  
Hi  Boney!  Being a breed is not looks but ancestry. Preferably proven ancestry. Looks comes firstly as the second criterium.

Unless you live in Africa near the Sokoke wood, or live near a sokoke owner whose breeding queen fled, the answer for you is exactly the same as for the above.  Even if you neither have any pics.

Here, you do also know the sibling, so you KNOW he cant be purebred.   So your moggie however pretty and nice, is no Sokoke.

Good luck!

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Sokoke is extremely rare -- and  basically as Stefan said you would not find a Sokoke kitten that young unless you live in Kenya or  you have a neighbor who is one of the very few breeders in the world.

And in this case  with a white littermate , it's clearly not a purebred Sokoke.    and it would be pretty close to impossible that the kitten is even part Sokoke.   There are really hardly any of them  in the U.S. 

I haven't seen photos but my guess is that you found a lovely moggy kitten with the wonderful Classic Tabby pattern.   Classic Tabby is much less common than Mackerel Tabby ( the striped ones) and it certainly can be very striking,  so sometimes if people have never seen it before,  they see a cat with this pattern and think it must be some special breed.      but it's a pattern that happened very long ago in random-bred cats in Europe.   and of course came to America with the cats who came here with immigrants. 

Tabby patterns can have a lot of variation in both the exact shapes of the pattern and in how much contrast there is.    There are random -bred cats in various countries who have turned up with interesting variations of Classic Tabby that are not really just like the swirls and bulls eye look that is most commonly seen.    

You might find this article about tabby patterns interesting.  It has some classic tabby pictures and  under the 'Marble and Sokoke Tabby  'section there is a photo of a black silver tabby with a very wild looking version of classic tabby.  That cat is a random-bred cat, not a particular breed.  Amazing look. 

http://www.messybeast.com/spotted-cats.html

Cat DNA tests for breed are very new and may not be so accurate.  and I doubt they have many samples of Sokokes.  so it may be especially bad at identifying them.    I think it would be a waste of $100.

Even dog breed tests have have a lot of problems,  and that's much easier than to test than cats when something like 97% or more of cats are not a breed  and most cat breeds have been developed much more recently than most dog breeds and of course they come from random-bred cats. 

ewalters

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just saw this feed and wanted to add something.  I live in Oregon and a Sokoke was found. She is a female kitten that someone found starving and he thought it to be a feral kitten. I take in feral kittens and socialize them to be adopted so she was given to me, the people did not know anything about her. I knew she was special but did not no how special she was until I contacted a breeder in Denmark and found in fact I do have a female Sokoke. She was probably 6 weeks at the time, now a year and a half. So it is possible to find the impossible, and as far as DNA? check out this DNA testing for cats