Need help with gift ideas

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My niece is a beautiful singer and she has started to write her own music. She's only 10. For Christmas this year I want to assemble a songwriter's/music inspired gift for her. In this package I already have a songwriter's notebook (x2), a rhyming dictionary and a thesaurus. But I would like to put a few little items in it to make it "pretty/fun" looking. I had the thought of getting music themed stickers, pencils and erasers...maybe some post-it note pads?
Can you guys think of anything that would go in this gift? Stocking stuffer type stuff. :thumbsup:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe a nice mechanical pencil leads and erasers. Letter sticks so she can add her name or rhinestones to bling her book up. A nylon travel envelope to store all of her things in or a pretty decorated cardboard box from the dollar store to put all of her things in.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would say anything that can "bling" out her notebooks or storage for them. Most of my nieces have been into glitter and bling at that age anyway. I always encourage my kids to write with mechanical pencils because they are so much neater to read keeping a sharp point.

Are there books for kids about song writing? DD has been writing stories lately so I'm looking at a book-writing kit for her for Christmas.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Awws such a talented little one. :redheartpump::hearthrob: I totally agree with the blings. Kids love that.

How about adding a microphone. There is one that can record itself while singing.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there books for kids about song writing? DD has been writing stories lately so I'm looking at a book-writing kit for her for Christmas.
There are...sort of. It seems like what I saw wasn't specifically "for kids" but that's where I got the rhyming dictionary idea. I have to be careful what I get because she's mature for her age and doesn't really like things that are "for kids" but I also don't want to get her anything too advanced either. She could "handle" adult stuff but let's face it...most of it is still kinda boring for a child. So things that can help her with rhymes and her vocabulary/word choices seems kinda "middle of the road"
There are definitely books out there to help writers and story tellers, I'm sure you'll find something...how old is your DD?
How about adding a microphone. There is one that can record itself while singing.
She's been singing basically since she was born and already has one. She actually has a karaoke system thing that can also record her. I gave her my full size keyboard (I used to play piano) last year so she also already has the tools to write and play melodies.
Awws such a talented little one.
I know she's my niece and I'm biased...but seriously...she's SO talented! She sang me part of a song she's been working on a few months ago...and I'm not kidding...It could be on the radio....and it's better than a lot of the poop that's out right now.

Seems like everyone is in agreement about stickers and gems, so I'll for sure get some of those...hopefully they have music themed ones as well.
I've also been searching for a mechanical pencil that's cool looking...not just your typical pencil, but something with graphics/pictures on it or whatever so it's "her special writing tool"...no luck so far...

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jem Jem There's a fabulous art supply company called Blicks. They have brick-and-mortar stores in NYC and also an excellent online catalog service.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What sort of music/singing does she like? Opera, country, indie, rock, musicals, Disney etc? Maybe you could put together something pertaining to that - For pure example-only sake let's say she likes Wicked, maybe you can get her merchandise (Hoodies, bags, cute socks and so forth) or a copy of the performance or songs. Or let's say she likes Opera, maybe tickets to an upcoming local performance?

Does she also play instruments? A gift card to a local music store might be nice, or something towards lessons.

There are also musical themed board games:

Game That Song - Music Card Game for Family, Adults, and Kids. Hilarious, Addictive, and Competitive Fun for Game Nights!… : Amazon.ca: Everything Else

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004LO2AIG/?tag=

Rolling Stone The Music Trivia Game