Need help with food allergies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bfish29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to give a quick update on CJ, he has not scratched/licked aggresively since last Friday
AND all his bald areas has a light coat of fuzz coming in!!!!! I know everyone mentioned about adding one item to his diet to see what he is allergic to, but he loves this new diet so much, I am planning on just keeping him on that (the wholesome goodness wet and NB allergy formula chicken, dry). I had ribeyes on the grill for dinner last night, and I did slice him off some of the raw beef (always been one of his favorites) as a special treat. Other than raw steak pieces on RARE ($$$$$$$$$$$
) occasion, I plan on keeping him on this diet, unless there is a diet/health reason I should give him other things ??
Thanks again for EVERYONES help on this!
Bobby

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bfish29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I am still giving him the histamine, 1/2 twice a day. I thought I would continue them for another week just to be on the safe side (the vet gave him enough for 60 days). Thank you again for all your help, I couldn't have done it without cha' !

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is so wonderful to see him doing so well! I can imagine how frustrating it was for you... This thread just totally made my day! Awesome!!!
Great work mommy!

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi bfish29,
So glad you found a solution to CJ's food allergy. I went through the same thing with my stray cat last summer. Just to give you another approach to food allergies that my vet took could be helpful if things develop again which I hope don't.

My cat Tiger scratched, licked and even saw what I thought were spots in front of his eyes the way he acted. I did what you did with trying different kinds of foods that had one protein in it such as chicken or fish. That didn't seem to work. My vet gave Tiger all kinds of tests, skin scraps, even grew skin cultures to rule out a skin problem. But everything lead to food allergies.

The vet had to give Tiger an Anti-Inflammatory Injection because he was getting so bad. He had bleeding sores, scratches and hair loss from licking on different parts of his body. The poor guy was one big itch. Lick, lick, scratch, scratch all day long.

Within two day of the shot he calmed down to where he was pretty normal. He also started him on Hills z/d prescription diet. The z/d diet food actually reduces the size of the protein molecule in the food where it won't stick to the allergin recepters in the cat. It's a process called "Hydrolyzed Protein System".

The shot lasts about a month and then the food takes over from there. Tiger was a new cat within a few weeks.

The vet told me that a cat can be allergic to a protein like chicken one month and can develop an allergy to fish down the road. I hope that doesn't happen to your cat.

Hills(science diet) z/d is a prescription food sold by a vet and isn't cheap. $50.00 for 10#. My cats eats about a pound per week or about $5.00 x 52weeks = $260.00 a year.

It contains Brewers Rice, Hydrolyzed Chicken Liver, Hydrolyzed chicken, Soybean Oil, etc, etc. Even though your cat might have an allergy to chicken, the Hydrolyzed process prevents the chicken protein from sticking to the allergin receptors so the cat gets no allergic reaction.

Just wanted to let you know a different approach to a similar problem. Good luck to you and CJ.