Need Help With Easy Transition Of Introducing Kitten To 1 Yr Old Cat

sadiesdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We had two kittens we got at 7 weeks, 3 weeks ago, one passed, they both would have been 1 yr old July 2nd. We are so heart broken, and our other 1 yr old, seems to be back to herself. She has been sleeping a lot, looking out the window a lot, but seems about the same. We got an 8 week old kitten Monday, and have it in our bedroom with it's own water, food, litter box and bed.
We looked at the kitten when we had our 1 yr old (Lily) at the vet. They brought the kitten in the room with Lily in her carrier, she hissed and growled. I am home all day, and been trying to introduce them slowly. Yesterday, I put Jethro in the carrier, and let Lily come into the bedroom, she would only come in sight, where she could see the kitten and hiss and growl. We have been rubbing both, and letting them smell each other on our hands. Lily has gotten to where she doesn't even pay attention to Jethro's scent on us, where at first, she smelled our hands and fingers thoroughly. Today, I put Lily in the bedroom and let Jethro roam the rest of the house for an hour. He mostly played with me and toys, but explored everything pretty thoroughly.

I just would like an idea of when we can let them meet face to face. It's hard to be in the rest of the house for long, and we feel we are neglecting attention to Jethro. Then when we are playing with Jethro, we don't want Lily to feel neglected, she doesn't seem to feel that way. In fact, Lily seems to enjoy the extra attention we have been giving her. It's also hard for us to make sure to keep the bedroom door closed, and we live in an old house with window air conditioning. It would be cooler in the whole house, if we could keep the bedroom door open, and let them both roam freely. We don't want to rush it, and they not get along, but it's hard to keep them in separate parts of the house.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss :hugs: Its always heart wrenching to lose a cat, but even more so when they're so young :rbheart:

It sounds like Lily will need a fair amount of time to adjust to everything, and especially to Jethro. The golden rule of introductions is to go at the pace the least confident/comfortable cat - in this case that's Lily. I know it's a pain to be keeping doors shut all the time (I'm in the process of introducing two kittens to my rather disgruntled 3 year old girl, so I feel your pain:winkcat:), but it's far better to take a little extra time now to ensure a happy, integrated household in the future. It'll work out quicker in the long run, too, as you're less likely to have to backtrack because of pushing too hard in the beginning.

For now, stick to scent swapping (using washcloths/old socks rather than just your hands) and joint feedings either side of the bedroom door. If the latter isn't practical (it wasn't for me), give a few treats either side of the door a few times a day instead or put their bowls on/next to the scent cloths. The point is for each to associate the other's scent with positive things, and food is far and away the easiest way to do this. Other useful scent soakers are cardboard scratchers and toys - get a few cardboard scratchers, and periodically switch them around so that each cat gets a real sense of the other's scent, and the same with any kitten safe toys (I would set aside Lily's absolute favourites, though, so that her special things stay hers - I have a basket of Asha's special toys that the kittens aren't allowed near).

Alongside the scent swapping, I'd do site swapping - especially important with kittens who are little bundles of energy:jump:This will let Jethro explore a bit, and give Lily more exposure to his scent. Don't continue with putting Jethro in the carrier and having Lily come into his room - there's too high a risk of Jethro feeling trapped, and the last thing you want is him getting defensive around her at this stage. Far better for you and your wife to take a cat each and do a full site swap ;)

Once each cat is totally chilled around the other's scent, and they'll happily eat either side of the bedroom door, you can start introducing the visual element. The easiest and safest way to do this is with a screen door or stacked baby gates. Go slow to start with, using a blanket or towel to block most of the barrier, gradually raising it over time until they have full visual. At this stage, you could just use the screen door instead of shutting the bedroom door - this will allow better air flow, but will keep everyone safe.

Face to face introductions can start once both cats are happy with the sight of each other. Make sure both cats have a play session first (especially Jethro - him using Lily as a plaything before she's ready would not be helpful :winkcat:), and again, use food to make it a fun time for everyone.

Above all, listen to what your cats are telling you and trust your instincts! You know your cats best, and you can see what's going on. Stay patient too. It'll take as long as it takes, and rushing things could so easily backfire down the line. Feliway is a great addition too, just to help keep everyone feeling secure. I also opened up more vertical space and added in some more cat trees to increase the available kitty territory, and its certainly been much appreciated :kneading:
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

Good luck, and we'd love some pics :camera:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sadiesdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss :hugs: Its always heart wrenching to lose a cat, but even more so when they're so young :rbheart:

It sounds like Lily will need a fair amount of time to adjust to everything, and especially to Jethro. The golden rule of introductions is to go at the pace the least confident/comfortable cat - in this case that's Lily. I know it's a pain to be keeping doors shut all the time (I'm in the process of introducing two kittens to my rather disgruntled 3 year old girl, so I feel your pain:winkcat:), but it's far better to take a little extra time now to ensure a happy, integrated household in the future. It'll work out quicker in the long run, too, as you're less likely to have to backtrack because of pushing too hard in the beginning.

For now, stick to scent swapping (using washcloths/old socks rather than just your hands) and joint feedings either side of the bedroom door. If the latter isn't practical (it wasn't for me), give a few treats either side of the door a few times a day instead or put their bowls on/next to the scent cloths. The point is for each to associate the other's scent with positive things, and food is far and away the easiest way to do this. Other useful scent soakers are cardboard scratchers and toys - get a few cardboard scratchers, and periodically switch them around so that each cat gets a real sense of the other's scent, and the same with any kitten safe toys (I would set aside Lily's absolute favourites, though, so that her special things stay hers - I have a basket of Asha's special toys that the kittens aren't allowed near).

Alongside the scent swapping, I'd do site swapping - especially important with kittens who are little bundles of energy:jump:This will let Jethro explore a bit, and give Lily more exposure to his scent. Don't continue with putting Jethro in the carrier and having Lily come into his room - there's too high a risk of Jethro feeling trapped, and the last thing you want is him getting defensive around her at this stage. Far better for you and your wife to take a cat each and do a full site swap ;)

Once each cat is totally chilled around the other's scent, and they'll happily eat either side of the bedroom door, you can start introducing the visual element. The easiest and safest way to do this is with a screen door or stacked baby gates. Go slow to start with, using a blanket or towel to block most of the barrier, gradually raising it over time until they have full visual. At this stage, you could just use the screen door instead of shutting the bedroom door - this will allow better air flow, but will keep everyone safe.

Face to face introductions can start once both cats are happy with the sight of each other. Make sure both cats have a play session first (especially Jethro - him using Lily as a plaything before she's ready would not be helpful :winkcat:), and again, use food to make it a fun time for everyone.

Above all, listen to what your cats are telling you and trust your instincts! You know your cats best, and you can see what's going on. Stay patient too. It'll take as long as it takes, and rushing things could so easily backfire down the line. Feliway is a great addition too, just to help keep everyone feeling secure. I also opened up more vertical space and added in some more cat trees to increase the available kitty territory, and its certainly been much appreciated :kneading:
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

Good luck, and we'd love some pics :camera:

sadiesdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much, it's been very hard. Jasmine was a daddy's girl, and passed the day before her 1st birthday.

I have swapped them both around. Thursday, I put Lily in Jethro's room for an hour, and let Jethro roam the rest of the house, which is usually Lily's. Yesterday, I put Lily in the carrier for 30 minutes, and let Jethro roam free. At first Lily hissed and growled once, then she just watched him, Jethro, just looked at her, but kept his distance from the carrier. Now, when Jethro is in his room, Lily will go to the door and look underneath, and lie there for a long time just watching. Yesterday, Jethro started running his whole right leg and paw under the door, pawing at the air, Lily just watched. Jethro doesn't seem as worried, two or three times now, when I opened his door, he bolted, ran right in the living room, Lily wasn't there and then I caught him and put him back.

All of a sudden as of yesterday, Lily has become more attentive to us, and doing naughty things she hasn't done since she was little, getting up on the kitchen counter, trying to claw on the couch, jumping up on the tv stand and jumping behind it, that kind of stuff. When I go outside for awhile to work in the garden, as soon as I come in, Lily comes running up and meows, rubs against my leg and lays down wherever I am. And she follows us in the bathroom, when we shower, and lays on the back of the toilet, which she hasn't done in a long time. But some of that could be, Jasmine and Lily spent every minute of every day with me, wherever I was, they were close by, but now we decided not to let her outdoors any more, as we have started seeing some fox around the area. So, when I have to do things outside, or I am in the other room to spend a little time with Jethro, she is alone.

Me and my wife gave both of them snacks on either side of the door yesterday evening. Jethro was only concerned with getting every crumb, while my wife said Lily was steady watching the door as she ate hers. This morning, I tried the sock on the hand thing, and I did it a little, but Jethro wants to bite it, and hold it with his front paws, making it hard to rub him with it...We don't have anything to use as a barrier for the visual...

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like things are definitely going in the right direction. What great progress in a single day:clap:The sock situation with Jethro sounds all too familiar - my boys tried to chew, pounce and kill the gloves I used too :lol: Just do the best you can, and remember that him rubbing his cheeks on and chewing at the sock will get his scent onto it just fine - kitty cheeks are one of the areas that spread their 'friendly' pheromones, remember :wink:

I didn't have a suitable barrier either. There are ways around It, so long as you and your wife work together and take responsibility for a cat each. The method I used was to start by opening the door just a crack (either wedge it with one doorstop on each side or hold it so the cats can't move it). Do the same feeding process with the door just cracked like this for a few days, or until both are as settled as they were today. To progress, open the door a teensy bit further at each stage. Note - the wider the opening the harder you'll both have to work to stop one cat charging before the other is ready to handle it ;) Wand toys are your friend here. Once the door is open enough for a cat to slip through, you may need to move both cats back a little way so they're not suddenly inches apart with no barrier - apart from anything else, the last thing you want at this stage is for one to start stealing the other's food :nono:

Another thing to try in conjunction with this (though I might wait a little before starting on this one) is to have a cat at either end of the same room, and for you each to play with them with whatever toy will engage them the most. Over time (and you really need to tune in to the cat you're working with) they can gradually come closer together. Eventually, you may be able to have them taking turns in playing with the same toy.

These barrier-free methods place more responsibility on you and you wife to be extra aware of how both cats are handling the exposure, and to stop each session before any negativity has a chance to escalate. Theres a fine line, too, between giving them the space to sort out minor disputes (and allowing Lily to put Jethro in his place - as is right and proper for and adult to do to a kitten), and stepping in before things go too far. You need to read and know your cats very well, and to trust your instincts. It's definitely more work on your part (and can be a little more stressful), but it does work. I've had to do all my cat introductions this way - I just recommend the more traditional method first because it's easier to carry out and requires less experience from the owners :winkcat:

One thing - I wouldn't really want to use the carrier for either cat during introductions, save as an ultra safe way to move a cat from one room to another during site swapping. It's really not helpful for either cat to be confined in a carrier whilst the other roams free.

sadiesdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, things haven't changed much...I have been swapping rooms with them, letting Lily roam two rooms and the enclosed back porch, while Jethro roams the rest of the house. Jethro seems real nervous/scared, if I am out of sight, he starts calling. Lily is still growling when we feed them snacks on either side of the door. Jethro tries to just lunge through, so we can't open the door more than a couple inches. Twice Lily completely abandoned her snacks and ran into the other room, she LOVES her snacks, so I don't know what caused her to run away. We sure hate having to leave Jethro in the other room, he seems so bored. As soon as you walk in, he wants to play, and sometimes Lily will just sit in front of the door watching and listening... Lily1yr.jpg Jethro.jpg Here is a pic of both

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They're both stunning :lovecat3:

Stay patient with them. It's still early days, and all cats move at different paces. Jethro's calling when you're out of sight says that he's certainly not ready to progress. Lily may improve as Jethro gains confidence and security in his new territory. I know it's frustrating as hell, but remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint. Even months spent at this stage are a tiny part of their whole lifetimes with you. Stay patient and closely supervise any interactions.

If Jethro is a determined door-dasher, you can work towards one of you gently restraining him as you start to open the door wider (if Lily has a favourite out of you and your wife, make sure her favourite is on HER side of the door ;) ), but don't be in any rush to do this - Lily is clearly telling you that she's not ready to go up a level just yet. Give her time to adjust and process these changes.

sadiesdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks... One other thing we are worrying about is, since Lily's sister passed, she doesn't do anything but sleep. When we used to bring the girls in from outside, I guess they were tired from playing all day? They pretty much kept to themselves in the dining room. Lily's favorite place being in a chair under the table, and Jasmine laying in the bathroom doorway, and they slept, unless they got to chasing each other, just jogging in and out from the back porch, nothing fast or rough. We were hoping they could get used to each other, also, so Lily wouldn't be so alone. Both the girls quit playing with their "baby" toys after we started staying outside all the time. So really Lily has no interaction much, she lays in the window in the morning, I raise it so she can feel the cool air, and watch the birds. She comes in the kitchen wanting her hairball snack, then it's back to the window, in the chair, or on top of a plastic bin and she sleeps. Then in the evening, she comes to get her snack, and it's back to sleep. We can't get her to come in the living room with us, she has never been wanting to be held or get in your lap. I had her liking to be brushed right before Jasmine passed, but now she won't even come for that.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like Lily is still grieving for Jasmine. It's not at all surprising, really - it sounds like she and Jasmine were very close, and her passing will have hit you and her hard. I think all you can do is give her time. Maybe back off on the introductions a little for right now - part of her problem with Jethro may simply be that he's not Jasmine (if that makes sense).

Try to go out of your way to cuddle and simply spend time with Lily - just your presence will be comforting to her. If she show more severe signs of stress or loses her appetite, get her checked out by the vet. They may be able to suggest something to help
She really might benefit from something like Composure in any case - she's going through a rough time, and it may help her to cope a little better.

My heart goes out to you all :hugs:
Do Cats Mourn?

sadiesdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks...Lily has done a complete turn around as far as, she wants to play in the morning when I am in the kitchen fixing my breakfast. She meows and runs to us, when we come out of Jethro's room sometimes. She is wanting attention more, and wanting to go outside, even though she knows she can't. She has started to sit on the couch with me after lunch, and likes when I brush her.

On the other hand, she still hisses at Jethro, poor boy. This morning, I left the bedroom after dressing (which is also Jethro's room), and I went to the living room. Lily came in, and went to the bedroom door, where I could see Jethro's shadow, he was at the door because he followed me when I left out. Lily laid down on the floor with her nose right at the door and hissed loudly. We stopped trying to give them food or treats at the door for the time being, because Lily got upset the other day and ran away and wouldn't eat her snacks, which she usually loves. She wouldn't even eat them, when we brought them to the kitchen and put them beside her food bowl, which is usually where she eats them. The next morning they were gone though...

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like you're making slow but steady progress. Lily feeling happier generally (even if not yet with Jethro) is a great sign. Her hissing at him isn't the end of the world, especially if it's just hissing. My girl still hisses at my boys many times a day, mostly when they get too close (or try to stalk and pounce her :rolleyes:).

Don't give up on the treats - that's really important. If Lily can't handle being up close to his door then that's just fine. Give her her treats in sight of his door, but at a distance that she's comfortable with. It's been a rough week for all of you, and it's understandable if she needs you to reduce some of the pressure with Jethro for now. She's got a lot to process still.

Trust that it'll work out eventually, and have the patience to let Lily tell you when it's time. I know she will
nod.gif

sadiesdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How will I know when it's okay to let them be in the same room?

sadiesdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This morning, Lily came through the living room, and went to look at the bedroom door where Jethro is, 3 or 4 times. Finally the last time, she just laid down in front of the door. I could see Jethro's shadow at the edge of the doorway, Lily just laid there watching his shadow for about 15 minutes and then got up and left...She has made a morning habit of coming in the kitchen when I am fixing my breakfast and finding something to play with, twisty ties from bread, and these twisted pieces of paper, her and Jasmine tore loose from an old chair. Of course she runs for the cabinet the snacks are kept in, every time you go toward the kitchen, but she only gets a hairball one in the morning, and regular snacks in the evening. :)

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This sounds like great progress :clap:

As to when you can have face to face meetings, I think you have to trust your instincts. I'd look for signs that Lily is consistently more relaxed around Jethro's scent, and is maybe spending more time hanging out happily by his door. It's a really hard question to answer. When you think it's time, make sure you have plenty of treats (either actual cat treats or something extra yummy, like Lily's favourite plain cooked meat). Pick a quiet, calm time of day, and make sure both cats (especially Jethro) have had some playtime to work off any excess energy. A time when they're both sleepy is good too - Asha does much better with my boys when they're sleepy and just chilling with her:sleep2:

sadiesdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, this morning, Lily has been sitting outside the bedroom door two or three times when we went to come out of the bedroom. The last time, Jethro had came to the door, and almost came out, Lily was in the living room, sitting at the door to the foyer, which is a straight shot to the bedroom. So I opened the door back and Jethro came out, Lily just looked, then hissed and growled a little. Jethro just came back toward me, and started smelling around some boxes and the front door. Lily just kept watching, but as soon as Jethro stepped back into sight, Lily hissed and a low growl. I started talking to her, telling her, Jethro was alone and needed someone to play with, and she could show him how things work around here, because he was just a baby and didn't know yet. She would **** her head like she was trying to understand. Jethro ignored her for the most part, and kept poking around the boxes, coming back to me for a rub. He came back in her sight 4 or 5 times, and she just laid where she was hissed and a little growl. Finally I took him back to the bedroom, and Lily went to the dining room. I went to the bathroom, and two minutes later Lily came in, rubbed against my hand, and laid down on the floor. She followed me around a few times going room to room, wanting a little attention...I feel like she wouldn't do anything to him...as long as I was there... We had another episode yesterday, we gave them snacks, Lily way back by the living room doorway, Jethro right up to the bedroom door. They couldn't even see each other, but could hear each other crunching. Lily kept looking toward the door, and then just left, leaving her last couple bites...she may just not be crazy about those snacks, it's a new flavor. She came to them in the kitchen later, and smelled them and left them. They were gone this morning though.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like you're definitely making progress. Slow progress for sure, but that's just fine. Keep doing what you're doing, and they WILL get there :thumbsup:

sadiesdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I hope we haven't pushed too much...Tues., I picked Jethro up and took him into the other part of the house, where Lily could see him, she just looked at him. So I sit him down in the living room, he run around the living room and played and explored. Lily just went to sleep in a chair under the dining room table. I let him play for a couple of hours and put him back in his room.

Weds., I let Jethro out at about 10am, and he did about the same, but he ventured into the dining room where Lily usually hangs out. When she saw him, she hissed and growled, and just watched him. Eventually Jethro went into the dining room, kitchen and back porch exploring. He would come back and look at Lily, and try to get closer, but she would hiss and growl, he would just lay down with his front paws in front of him, like he was showing submission. But Jethro was bold, and not sure if he was wanting to play or what...Lily saw him in the kitchen and went in there toward where Jethro was, he ran behind the refrigerator and came around to the front, while Lily was on the other side looking for him in the back. Then Jethro would run around the corner, right behind her and jump toward her, she hissed and growled and started to find a way to get around him. Lily lays in the dining room window a lot, and Jethro would walk up to the window, and look up at Lily, and she would hiss at him. Finally he got really bold and went and drank out of her water dish, Lily just watched. Then he went over to her food bowl and sniffed, and Lily came down toward him growling, and hissing, he just walked away. I let him stay out of his room until about 8:30pm, but he kept following and harassing Lily. If she was in the chair under the table, he would stand up, nose to her tail, until she saw him, and she would hiss and growl and he just backed away, and went into another room. Every time she would jump onto the floor and go somewhere, Jethro would run up to her, and she would face him and hiss and growl.

Thursday, it was about the same, I let him out about 10am. He played and explored, and followed or watched Lily, but if she saw him, or he attempted to get close, she hissed and growled. But it seemed at times, she was trying to get away from him. He also kept trying to get to her food dish, but when we told him no, he would walk away, he is learning that word quickly. Also, every morning, when Jethro was still in his room, Lily has started coming into the kitchen in the mornings, and being silly. Looking around for a bread twisty tie, or a piece of an old chair, her and Jasmine used to play with. I would find one, and throw it on the floor, where she put on a show, of chasing it, swatting it across the floor like she was playing hockey. Jumping in the air and flinging it with her paws, doing some funny acrobatics, that had me laughing.Also, she had been coming into the living room during the afternoon sometime and getting on the couch with me. I would take her brush and ask, Do you want me to brush you? and she would jump on the couch beside me, and lay there while I brushed her. With Jethro loose, she won't come in the living room hardly.

Today, my wife had the day off, and after we ate lunch we set on the couch and almost dozed off, Jethro was on the top of the kitty condo/playground thing. That is something else he has been doing, getting real comfortable with everything, playing on the kitty playground, and when he gets tired he likes to get on the top part and doze. Lily was in the dining room...all of a sudden I felt something brush my legs, and Lily came and jumped on the couch, and got right into my wife's lap. Immediately, when Jethro saw her, he jumped down and came over to the couch, when Lily saw him, she started growling and jumped off the couch. There was a scratching post between them in front of the coffee table, all of a sudden Jethro lunges toward Lily, and Lily just hisses and growls and runs back in the dining room. We don't fuss at them, especially Lily for growling or hissing, because we know she is dealing with changes and we don't really know what happens as far as, when a cat puts a kitten in his place. We don't want Lily to become the submissive one to Jethro though, but afraid that is somewhat what things are starting to look like. She runs away when he gets too close, or just hisses and growls and watches him...Oh, in the living room, Lily walked right up to Jethro, almost touching noses, then she started hissing and growling and that's when she ran back into the dining room.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This sounds SO like the way things were with Asha (my girl) and Shenka (one of the kittens). Shenka would keep getting in Asha's face, following/stalking her, try to steal her food, make himself at home in all of her places (especially one cat tree in particular, which all three are besotted with), an even try and block her in the corridor and doorways :rolleyes: Asha went very subdued during the day (the times the boys were out of their room) for a while, and kept wanting to spend time away from them in the office (which has too much clutter and too many power cords to be safe for unsupervised kittens).

We're working through it by making sure that Asha gets kitten free time every day (as well as all night), supervising her eating unless the kittens are shut away (and promptly removing Shenka the second he approaches her food bowl if he's got out), stopping Shenka from blocking her if necessary (which can be as simple as just standing between the two of them to block sight lines) and making sure Shenka gets a TON of playtime to work off his energy (if I say one of his nicknames is Duracell you should have a sense of how active he is ;) :jump:). The key we've found is to give Asha the chance to assert herself with him, but if he blatantly ignores her to step in and back up her authority as Senior Cat. It is working, but it's a slow process. We still get daily hissing and growling from Asha, and we still have to block Shenka a fair amount, but he is getting the message, and is starting to back off when she tells him to now. Of course, we have it a little easier, as Shenka has his brother to torment and play with to run off some of that excess energy. With a single kitten, you'll have to do much more of the 'work' of energy draining yourself.

Alongside this, we have Feliway diffusers going in key areas of the house, we're still making a point of giving Asha treats with the boys in the room, and we're trying to give her interactive playtime in the main living areas as often as she asks for it, to make sure that she still feels she owns the territory. We added in some extra cat trees and opened up more vertical space too, to make sure that there were some neutral spaces for them to get to own together. I've spoiled Asha a bit too, with new cardboard scratching-beds (which she ADORES) and 'special' toys that are put aside just for her. Admittedly, this last is in part because the kittens are basically two furry wrecking balls and I don't want them destroying more expensive or more unique toys that Asha specially loves :winkcat: I think it helps her to know that some things are just hers, all the same.

Hopefully this'll give you a few ideas on how to move forward. The key is basically to keep Lily feeling reassured about her place in the house, and to boost her confidence with Jethro by helping her put him in his place until he gets the message that he has to do as she says. He will, in time. He's just rather over eager and over confident from the sound of it :devilcat:

sadiesdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cool...That is one reason, I have been waiting until late morning to let Jethro out, so Lily can have time alone, that's when she wants to be silly in the kitchen...also, I don't want Jethro roaming alone when I am in the shower. And we do have Lily sleeping by herself in the dining room, her and Jasmine had beds in there, but they wouldn't sleep in them when it got warm. Jethro sleeps in the bedroom with us, and he has been sleeping better (and letting us sleep better) by being worn out by the time we go to bed. After the little confrontation today in the living room, I brought Lily into the bedroom and put her on top of a ward robe cabinet, she used to like to sleep on top of during the day sometime. She hasn't even went toward the bedroom since we've been letting Jethro out, then she came into the computer room with me for a bit prowling around, something else she hasn't done in awhile....until Jethro came in here, and then Lily decided to go. I wondered about the Feliway things, but haven't found any store close to us that has them...