Need Help with Bengal cat coping with kitten.

catlover70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have concern about my 2.5 y.o. Bengal male cat being depressed over a kitten. Briefly explain situation: I had 2 different experiences with introducing kitten to an adult cat. First time I've decided to get a second kitten was a little over 2 years ago. While i already had 1 y.o. neutered male cat Milo I've fell in love with Bengal breed and decided to get a male bengal kitten named Chester. I followed the steps of slow introducing cats. But it didn't seem to be any problems at all as my resident older cat Milo was instantly interested in new kitten: he was sitting by the door where kitten was locked up, trying to stick his pows under to play with him. And when a few days later when we finally let them see each other it went smooth and easy and lots of fun. they became good friends. Unfortunately about 3.5 months ago Milo suddenly became very sick: he got severe blot clot and became completely paralyzed in his back paws. The vet really couldn't do anything in severe case like this and advised us to euthanize him as he was in tremendous pain at that point. It was very bad experience for us and my bengal Chester  took it pretty bad: he was looking around for his friend crying for a few days. Then his personality changed: he became much less active and a lot more affectionate to me. It was strange to see as Bengal breed in general is super active and not that clingy and Chester was not an exception of his breed. So there came a decision to get another cat. About a month after Milo's death we brought home 3 m.o. Ragdoll kitten named Jax. We follow the same steps of introducing cats together, except this time it didn't really go as smooth as first time. For the whole time while kitten was looked up in separate room Chester didn't want anything to do with him. He wouldn't even go near the door just ignoring it completely. In a few days we even replace the door to the room with screen on the bottom hoping that they may sniff each other thru the screen, but it didn't work as Chester still didn't pay any attention. and when we finally took out the kitten out the room and tried to bring him closer to Chester, he was just running away like he was scared of tiny kitten. Eventually he stopped running away and learn to tolerate Jax. Chester never really show any aggression toward kitten, but mostly seems to be annoyed with him: till this day it doesn't seem that he likes him very much, and looks depressed all the time. He just sleeps most of the time instead of running around and playing like he use to. Very rarely he'd let kitten to come next to him and tolerate him for long. Kitten really likes Chester and runs to him wanting to play but most times then he comes too close Chester would just growl and run away from the kitten. The worst part it was that Chester on the top of being depressed all of the sudden got very sick: he stopped eating for a few days and about 10 days ago he started to throw up stomach bile. When i gave him some treats: he ate them but 10 min later vomited them all out. It was going on for the almost entire day. He lost almost a pound in 2 weeks I took him to the vet Monday following weekend of him being sick, but after general check up and full blood and urine tests they didn't find anything wrong with him. So my thoughts are since the vet couldn't find anything wrong with him physically, the whole sickness probably was caused by depression.  They just gave me some appetite boosting pills and suggested to give him Pepcid AC. It looks like it did the trick. And since he was very dehydrated after his sickness I did the internal hydration, gave him appetite boosting pills and he's eating but just became very finicky with food, would only eat certain foods and not the others. he use to like eating can food, and now just wants to eat dry. Knowing that dry food is not too healthy I'm always to try to trick him to eat some can food mixed with a little chicken and some hight calorie gel with liquids added. I got some food sprinkles for can food that supposed to enhance the smell and taste, but didn't do the trick at all. So now it became like part time job to feed him: have to find something what he likes to eat and takes me several attempts to push a dish to him to make him eat. Then hold the kitten while he eats so he doesn't run up to him and scare Chester away from the dish. Now after over 3 months of new kitten Jax being home I still placed with the dilemma of how to pull Chester out of his depression and turn him back into healthy energetic cat that he always was. He used to love to play and run around the house, they chased each other with deceased cat Milo, and at this point I'm not sure if he would ever like Jax like he liked Milo and will ever become friends with him. BTW all my cats were neutered prior to be introduced to each other. The whole idea of getting another cat was to have a company not only for us but for our Bengal, but it seems to work just the opposite. If anybody have any ideas as of how to help my older cat in this situation it would be greatly appreciated.

peterbald love

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I have concern about my 2.5 y.o. Bengal male cat being depressed over a kitten. Briefly explain situation: I had 2 different experiences with introducing kitten to an adult cat. First time I've decided to get a second kitten was a little over 2 years ago. While i already had 1 y.o. neutered male cat Milo I've fell in love with Bengal breed and decided to get a male bengal kitten named Chester. I followed the steps of slow introducing cats. But it didn't seem to be any problems at all as my resident older cat Milo was instantly interested in new kitten: he was sitting by the door where kitten was locked up, trying to stick his pows under to play with him. And when a few days later when we finally let them see each other it went smooth and easy and lots of fun. they became good friends. Unfortunately about 3.5 months ago Milo suddenly became very sick: he got severe blot clot and became completely paralyzed in his back paws. The vet really couldn't do anything in severe case like this and advised us to euthanize him as he was in tremendous pain at that point. It was very bad experience for us and my bengal Chester  took it pretty bad: he was looking around for his friend crying for a few days. Then his personality changed: he became much less active and a lot more affectionate to me. It was strange to see as Bengal breed in general is super active and not that clingy and Chester was not an exception of his breed. So there came a decision to get another cat. About a month after Milo's death we brought home 3 m.o. Ragdoll kitten named Jax. We follow the same steps of introducing cats together, except this time it didn't really go as smooth as first time. For the whole time while kitten was looked up in separate room Chester didn't want anything to do with him. He wouldn't even go near the door just ignoring it completely. In a few days we even replace the door to the room with screen on the bottom hoping that they may sniff each other thru the screen, but it didn't work as Chester still didn't pay any attention. and when we finally took out the kitten out the room and tried to bring him closer to Chester, he was just running away like he was scared of tiny kitten. Eventually he stopped running away and learn to tolerate Jax. Chester never really show any aggression toward kitten, but mostly seems to be annoyed with him: till this day it doesn't seem that he likes him very much, and looks depressed all the time. He just sleeps most of the time instead of running around and playing like he use to. Very rarely he'd let kitten to come next to him and tolerate him for long. Kitten really likes Chester and runs to him wanting to play but most times then he comes too close Chester would just growl and run away from the kitten. The worst part it was that Chester on the top of being depressed all of the sudden got very sick: he stopped eating for a few days and about 10 days ago he started to throw up stomach bile. When i gave him some treats: he ate them but 10 min later vomited them all out. It was going on for the almost entire day. He lost almost a pound in 2 weeks I took him to the vet Monday following weekend of him being sick, but after general check up and full blood and urine tests they didn't find anything wrong with him. So my thoughts are since the vet couldn't find anything wrong with him physically, the whole sickness probably was caused by depression.  They just gave me some appetite boosting pills and suggested to give him Pepcid AC. It looks like it did the trick. And since he was very dehydrated after his sickness I did the internal hydration, gave him appetite boosting pills and he's eating but just became very finicky with food, would only eat certain foods and not the others. he use to like eating can food, and now just wants to eat dry. Knowing that dry food is not too healthy I'm always to try to trick him to eat some can food mixed with a little chicken and some hight calorie gel with liquids added. I got some food sprinkles for can food that supposed to enhance the smell and taste, but didn't do the trick at all. So now it became like part time job to feed him: have to find something what he likes to eat and takes me several attempts to push a dish to him to make him eat. Then hold the kitten while he eats so he doesn't run up to him and scare Chester away from the dish. Now after over 3 months of new kitten Jax being home I still placed with the dilemma of how to pull Chester out of his depression and turn him back into healthy energetic cat that he always was. He used to love to play and run around the house, they chased each other with deceased cat Milo, and at this point I'm not sure if he would ever like Jax like he liked Milo and will ever become friends with him. BTW all my cats were neutered prior to be introduced to each other. The whole idea of getting another cat was to have a company not only for us but for our Bengal, but it seems to work just the opposite. If anybody have any ideas as of how to help my older cat in this situation it would be greatly appreciated.
I am so sorry to hear that about Milo.
I think the cats don't get along cause they are both male cats so what i suggest is separate them for a while. Try Fancy Feast flakes in gravy if your cat won't eat.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Despite a lack of aggression from Chester, I do think integration was done too quickly and not at a pace Chester was comfortable with.

I do agree that the stress of the situation is the cause of Chester's illnesses.

My suggestion would be to start all over with introductions. Separate both boys completely.

Get some Feliway diffusers and place one in Jax's safe room, 1 outside this room and a few others in areas where Chester spends most of his time. On a whole, 1 diffuser will over a small-medium size bedroom. Any area larger than this will need 2 diffusers placed on opposite sides of the room (I do mine diagonally for better coverage.)

You may also want to look into getting some Composure Liquid Max for Chester or some Composure treats (the liquid appears to have better results; but needs to be mixed in with preferably wet food.) Both of these can be purchased from Amazon.com and Chewy.com...among others.

Chester needs to be eating normally and back to his normal routine before you move to the next step.

I don't think you are having these issues because Jax is a male. In my experience, males tend to have a stronger bond and accept each other more quickly (on a whole).

With that said, it's certainly possible that Chester is still grieving the loss of Milo. This is likely to continue to improve with time. The added stress of the kitten was just too much at the time.

HOWEVER, I do think Chester and Jax can live happily together. And, it does sound as if Chester needs a buddy. It just may have initially been too soon for him.

I really do suggest getting the Feliway and the Composure (either liquid or treats) for Chester. These won't work overnight; but, are good for alleviating stress.

Also, what types of toys do you have? The favorite among my cats and the rescue are Neko Flies and Da Bird.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the suggestions. I actually tried to lock up Jax at least temporarily, just to give Chester a break and try to encourage him to play with his favorite toy. They have lots of toys but one of Chester favorites was just simple Heavy Gauge Plastic Colorful Springs. He would run around batting it for hours. Now when i lock up Jax and try to encourage Chester to play, he would sometimes just ignore the toy, or may play with it for just a little bit, but the strangest thing i noticed, that Jax usually would start crying if he locked up in the room (that's why it would be difficult to lock him up permanently now) if Chester hears him crying he would just go and sit buy the door. and then when you let him out and Jax would start bugging him, he'd growl again and run away from him. It's just so weird to me, it's reminds me of Love-Hate relationship. I don't know what to make of this type of behavior. As for Feliway i do have a spray form or it, but may try to get some diffusers and try it, however it's doubtful for me that it would work, as my house is quite big, and i'd probably need at least 10 or more of them plug everywhere, but they're quite expensive to buy that many. I can't just lock Chester up in one room, it would make him even more depressed. As for toys they have too many toys, and Jax plays with all of them, but Chester lost interest to playing in general. I used to had trouble to keep him entertained and wished that he'd calm down, but now i don't know how to encourage him to play. As for Composure Liquid of treats, as i understand it's for calming cats down, but Chester in my opinion is too calm, i'd actually like to have him more hyper. Also it would be difficult to give it to him as he's very finicky of any food of treats: i'm still straggling to trick him to eat can food: i've tried everything already he'd eat a little bit but a lot of times he even run away from me when see me coming with the dish. He'd come whenever he wants and eat some dry food, so that's why i had to keep it always around available for him to eat on his terms. And the treats: i can try to get some but most likely he won't eat them. Previously i've tried so many different treats, but he will only eat one type: Temptation, the other kinds he'd just smell them and walks away. That's why i'm having tough time with him. I guess i can try to lock up Jax for a few hours every day and see if it could help. One thing i agree that sex (them both being males) don't have much to do with it. Milo and Chester also were both males and they got along just fine. Jax is also was neutered pretty early before we brought him home.  

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is very important that Jax is actually put in a room away from Chester all of the time, not just for some parts of the day. They need to do reintroductions since it does sound like the process was rushed. Cat introductions can take months, so expecting them to be together now is not a good idea. The kitten clearly bothers Chester and since Chester is depressed and not feeling well the kitten should be kept away from him. Locking Chester in a room alone would not be fair to him.

Remember that Jax is an intruder in Chester's territory. Chester probably doesn't like him since you didn't follow his timeline for when Jax could be introduced. He lost his friend and now he is being invaded, this is very stressful. Even when there are only mild signs of aggression with the kitten being out, it may just be that Chester is a relatively passive cat. This makes it easy for a boistourous kitten to walk all over him.

Please try the whole introduction again. Follow Chester's timetable, not what is convenient to you if you want to make this work.

When I introduced my cat and kitten my cat stopped playing all together. The trick that worked for us was introducing some fun new toys. We purchased these:

Da Bird:

Petstages Tower of Tracks:

Here are articles that might help you:

[article="32680"]How To Successfully Introduce Cats The Ultimate Guide​[/article]  

[article="32396"]Do Cats Mourn​[/article]  

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you do need to give it more time, they are not fighting which is a good sign. If Chester is unwell/not his usual self he is probably a little irritated by the kitten and wants to be left alone. It usually does take cats quite a while to adjust to new situations as they love routine! You were lucky that Milo and Chester got along straight away!

i agree it will be difficult to confine the kitten to one room as he has been used to free access everywhere, though if Chester meows at the door when Jaz cries the process maybe much quicker than you think. If there are lots of toys/boxes etc in be room and you spend lots of time in the room with Jaz he will be happy enough! What ever you decide I'm sure the cats will settle the situation themselves in the end - with time!

I have also found feliway defusers very helpful in introducing my two cats.

Chester may associate the wet food with his previous nausea, if he is eating dry food happily I would just continue with this until he is more settled then reintroduce wet food. The fact that he is eating is more important than what he is eating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everybody for the replies and tips. I actually have those toys: Da Bird and Tower of tracks, and so many more countless toys. I was buying so many toys, and my cats always were playing with them. It was hard to keep Chester entertained because he always demanded more new toys and interactive time with him. He was just go nuts sometimes making funny noises and run around then jump in the doorways like crazy. It was typical behavior of Bengal breed. That's why it's so hard to see him like he is now, just sleeping most of the time. I'd be glad to give him interactive times and trying to do it but, not too successful so far. I'd love to try Feliway diffusers, but the problem is that Chester really doesn't have a favorite spot, he just falls asleep wherever. That's means that i'd have to make them to be plugged in in the whole 2700 square foot house, and it would probably need around 10-15 diffusers to even try to make any kind of effect. So with them being quite costly:eek:ver $30 each diffuser plus refills, it would definitely will break the bank. The interactions between 2 cats are quite strange: most of the time Jax tries to just come up to Chester and get a growl back and Chester gets away from him, but sometime Jax really starts to be a bully: he would jump on the top of Chester try to bite him, then Chester grabs him with his pows, bites him back. I'm actually glad to see that kind of interactions, as it's some kind of attention instead of constant running away reaction. Chester use to be a bully with his older friend Milo: Milo would come up to him lick his head and Chester would bite his head back, them they both would bite each other. Usually it was never in aggressive but more playful way, but Chester would sometimes get the best of it as Milo was around 7 pounds bigger him. Those days Chester was always initiative of those biting attacks. Now tables have turned and he gets bullied instead. He's still capable (but not for long) to get back to the kitten. But he usually not biting him back with aggression ever. Right now Chester is about 11 ibs, and Jax is only 6 months old and already 8.5 ibs, So pretty soon he'll be a huge cat will outgrow Chester pretty quick. I wouldn't want for him to bully Chester then. It's going to be very difficult to lock Jax away for a long time now, as he's so used to roam around a house by now. But i'm willing to try it on the weekend: we'll be away for most part of the day and i'll prepare to lock up Jax in the room for whole day to give Chester a break. I hope it could help, but we'll see what happen. Even ordered this book     didn't received it yet, but hoping to find some info and some tips to help my situation that i don't already know from the internet.