Need Help With 2 Month Old Kitten

Damianaid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First, I don't know if this falls in the cat behavior forum... Since she is a very young kitten, I thought I would post here.

So, we got a.. sort of surprise kitten. She fell in our backyard from a wall, we have a dog and an older cat so we couldn't let her there or she would possibly get killed. So we decided to adopt her.

From what the vets told us the next day, she was 2 months old at the time, definitely too young to be separated from her mother, she is now around 3 months old.

She is the sweetest little gal, but me and my father noticed that she wouldn't stop 'nursing' and kneading on our clothes, after some research I found out that it is most likely a separation anxiety symptom, because she was separated too early from her mother.

I looked everywhere for a cat that looks like her the first days I had her, (she's a colorpoint/siamese.) So she could possibly return to her mother, but i had no luck, and i gave up the search by now.

I really don't want her to suffer and I give her as much attention as possible when she does this, but I really don't know what to do, how can I fix this problem? She does not lack love and attention in this house, we have an older male cat that she plays with a lot, and a Maltese dog she also likes to play with, so she's never alone. Is there anything I can do?

Kimberly07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your new family member. An expert will be by shortly to give you advice, but I have a 6 month old kitten and she had 6 brothers and sisters. They were weaned around 10-12 weeks. I've heard from all their forever families that the kittens continue to try and nurse on blankets, dogs, etc. LOL The kitten we kept with her mom continued to nurse every couple of days until about 6 weeks ago, so I think it's normal. As long as she is eating the food your providing and gaining weight I think your good. A side note, the other rescue cat I have, was doing biscuits on me last night and trying to nurse on the blanket and he is over a year old. :flail::lolup:

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, nursing on blankets etc. is fairly common in bottle babies and kittens separated from their mothers too early. It's not necessarily a problem, unless she's damaging something/nursing on skin and causing rawness. My two still do this at 8.5 months, particularly on one blanket that we've deemed their "mommy blanket." They get so blissed out and purr up a storm! My girl used to do it on me when she was very little, but that faded over time.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree. Re her being a points. Parents dont need to be points themselves even if both must carry the gene point.

But colors are inheritable, mostly from momma, and some patterns alike tabby.

Please give a couple of good pics so we will try to analyse the parents.