Need help training our rescue dog.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

She looks like she has Samoyed or Spitz in her to me. Do NOT use a choker - outdated, cruel, ineffective. And do not under any circumstances watch or read Cesar Milan. He has been indicted for killing two dogs and has no actual qualifications whatsoever. He has set back dog training 20 years and continues to do a lot of damage in the real world where reputable trainers have to clean up the messes he has made. I am only reminded of him because of the mention of chokers
I strongly second that assessment. If you haven't heard me mention it before, I absolutely love Jan Fennell's book, The Dog Listener. She teaches true dog leadership skills in a very gentle way that dogs understand. Unfortunately she is not on U.S. TV, but only on U.K.'s Animal Planet.

If you had a choice to follow Gandhi or Hitler, which would you choose? I liken Jan's style to Gandhi and Cesar's style to Hitler.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah. Well put. I love her work. She is a little old-fashioned and I don't always put a lot of stock in such dominance-based training, but she has what I would call a true understanding of the pack and dogs really respond so well to everything she teaches. Talk about meaningful communication - it was Jan Fennell that helped me make my decision to become a behaviourist.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I strongly second that assessment. If you haven't heard me mention it before, I absolutely love Jan Fennell's book, The Dog Listener. She teaches true dog leadership skills in a very gentle way that dogs understand. Unfortunately she is not on U.S. TV, but only on U.K.'s Animal Planet.

If you had a choice to follow Gandhi or Hitler, which would you choose? I liken Jan's style to Gandhi and Cesar's style to Hitler.
I have "The Dog Listener" and have tried to use a lot of the methods. I just wish I had more time to work with her. Well, with all my dogs! I've never even heard of the other guy (which sounds like a good thing!).

I only used a choker that one time (at MIL's suggestion) and it was a very short walk. I would never use one again though. When I was growing up, my Dad used to walk our German Shepard on a choker (I think it was the norm then...my Dad would never have intentially hurt his "son"), but I thought it was cruel even then. So, don't worry...that is not an option!