Need help to diagnose

pitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 15 year old cat, Pitten showed symptoms of a UTI on Sunday morning.  (crying, trouble urinating, blood in urine)  I had some Clavamox from a prior UTI in the spring and administered as prescribed. (one dose every 12 hours)  The UTI symptoms seemed to abate significantly a few hours after the first dose.  In the early evening of Wednesday as we were preparing to go out for the evening, she came out from under the bed where she had been sleeping and was crying and appeared to be having trouble maintaining balance in her rear legs.  She seemed to not be able to stand very well and would just lay on the floor and cry to me.  I called ahead to the animal hospital to notify them that I was bringing her in.  Unfortunately, ever since she was spayed in her younger years, she has hated everyone except me.  You would think she was completely feral if you didn't know any better when others are around.  Of course, this makes taking her to the vet a real challenge.  When we arrived at the vet, they took her in the back to sedate her to that they could take some blood and urine specimens and xrays.  They administered the first dose of sedative (with great difficulty) and waited for it to take effect.  No luck.  They administered a second dose and again waited.  No luck.  The vet did not want to administer any other doses as they felt she may not survive a third dose.  They advised I take her home with something for pain and more Clavamox.  She is ravenously hungry (not typical for her), and unsteady on her feet.  When she goes down the stairs, she lists to the right and it appears almost as if her hind legs are going faster than her front and pushing her down the stairs quickly.  I'm at a loss as to what this might be and because she is so antisocial, the vet is not able to diagnose her.  It breaks my heart to watch her go through this.  Any ideas or experience out there on what this might be?

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First, I'm so sorry to hear about what is going on with Pitten, and understand that this is a bit of a tricky situation given her extreme fear of other humans. 

Unfortunately, no advice here can replace the advice of a qualified veterinarian, and anything any of us can say would be merely speculation. While there are situations where it's fine to do so, all immediate health emergencies have to be taken out of the equation for that to be the case. And, there are still some pretty major things that could be happening with Pitten that makes it so getting her back to the vet is really the only option. 

I understand what you are saying about her being extremely frightened of strangers, and, given their decision to tranquilize her I'm guessing she becomes pretty aggressive. But, I'm wondering if maybe you would have better luck taking her to a regular vet as opposed to the animal hospital? Hers may be a case where it is better for everyone to have you in the room to help calm her so they can do a more extensive examination, versus at the hospital where they take her back on her own. 

I am actually somewhat surprised by the animal hospital's approach to the situation, and would think they would have more experience in dealing with scared and therefore aggressive animals. But, they are also only looking for life-threatening things and if she didn't seem to be in immediate danger may have felt trying the meds as a backup course of action until you could get her in with her regular vet was the safest route. However, it's clear that whatever is going on seems to be more than UTI related, and so you need to get her back in somewhere so they can try and narrow down exactly what the problem is. 

While nothing is going to make the situation pleasant for her, there are some things you can try and do to at least make it less terrifying. Before her next appointment get some feliway spray (it's a calming pheromone) and spritz that in her carrier to try and help her relax. Also, put an old towel or sweatshirt that smells like you in there with her so she has a safe scent closeby. Before you put her in the carrier, engage her in a small play session to run out some of her energy so she's not so wound up. And, once she's in the kennel, cover it with a towel so that she isn't so visually inundated with things. At the appointment, wear long, thick sleeves (and gloves if you have to) just in case the vet thinks it's a good idea for you to try and hold her. Some vets prefer their staff to do this while others understand that sometimes the animal needs the familiar hand of their human. Be prepared for either situation.

Finally, I would be cautious about how much you tell the vet staff prior to bringing her in. Of course you need to tell them that she has some fear aggression, but I wouldn't go into great detail. In doing so, you risk the technicians writing her off before they even have a chance to interact with her. Every animal has the propensity to become aggressive, and all vets and vet techs are trained in how to safely handle them. They know how to read the signs and how to handle her accordingly so that everyone stays safe and she gets the examination she so desperately needs. 

I wish I could give you the firm medical diagnosis that you are craving but unfortunately I can't, and this really sounds like a situation that the 'wait and see approach' could prove to be detrimental. She really does need to be seen again ASAP. Hopefully taking her to a normal practice where they have more time and patience to devote to getting to the root of the issue is what you need. It's going to be stressful for her (and by extension you) but she has to receive further medical care to figure out what is going on. 

Vibes that you are able to get her in somewhere ASAP and that they come up with a diagnosis. Please keep us posted. Hopefully once you have a little more information about what the root cause is and know she is out of immediate danger we will be able to advise you further! 

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The above recommendations are good ones.  I don't know how loyal you are to your present vet, I know I am very loyal to mine, but maybe finding a vet with experience working with ferals might be a better choice for your kitty.  I know she isn't a feral but her response to the vet's office is extreme.  A vet that works a lot with ferals might be better.  Do you have any TNR groups in your area?  If you do they might be able to give you the names of the vets that they use.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for your good suggestions.  I will be following your advice.  It was a long night.  She spent most of it almost attached to the water and food bowls which is not at all common for her.  She's typically a light eater and drinks a typical amount of water for a cat.  I will be calling our personal vet as soon as they open this morning which is shortly.  Hopefully, I will be able to get her in right away and get this all figured out.  Not sure how to describe her mood this morning.  One minute, I think I may be seeing some improvement and then the next she exhibits signs of being agitated.  It is unusual for her to show displeasure with me.  She even let me give her a bath when we got home last night from the hospital because she was covered in urine and feces but gave me a disgruntled retort when I was scratching her head a few minutes ago.  Oh how I wish she could talk so that I could understand!  Thanks again, I'll keep you posted.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a tough situation.  Increased appetite in older kitties can be indicative of things like Diabetes and/or Hyperthyroidism.  Maybe ask your vet if they have a gas chamber (it's a plastic box they put the cat into and hook it up to the anesthesia machine), that is what we use in fractious kitties, much easier than trying to inject them.  Another option is maybe have a mobile vet clinic come by your house.  Sometimes that is easier for the cat.  We have a client who's kitty turns into a maniac when at the vet, climbing walls etc, she has gone to a mobile vet and the kitty is much less stressed and easier to work with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
At our vet now. They have done more in 15 minutes than they did in hours at the hospital last night. Waiting for results and diagnosis.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm glad to hear you're having a better experience today. I hope you get a definitive answer. Keep us updated!
Oh I'm so glad to hear it too! I've been thinking about you and Pitten all day today. Please do let us know what they found out. We are here for you!