Need help to determine gender of my kitten

Sassy Tiger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! I recently adopted a kitten and was told it was female, my daughter has a female so it was very important I didn't get a male. The people I got it from said it was a girl but I have serious doubts. I've searched online but since it's a black cat it's extremely difficult to tell from other photos. Before I can let the 2 cats interact I want to know 100% if it's male or female. Can anyone tell from these pix?

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like a boy to me! In young kittens, it IS extremely hard to determine though, I have been wrong before. i just wanted to throw in that males get along with females much better than two females most of the time. They also are buddies and play much better with other males. Females are the limit setters, the manners teachers, and are diva-like in attitude. They do not want to share any part of their house with others, especially another female. A female and a male usually get along much better. Young kittens are much easier to integrate into a household too, either sex, than two adults. if her female hasn't been spayed, please consider doing it as soon as possible, they should be done before 5-6 months when they can become pregnant. And anytime after two pounds. I have had a 4.5 month old feral become pregnant and it is very hard on them. Not to mention she had 17 kittens in one year (three litters, before I could trap her) and you will be overrun with cats!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sassy Tiger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply di and bob. I was so afraid it was a boy. I didn't want a male because they spray also, I should have mentioned. The cat wasn't spayed/neutered when I adopted it and I wanted to keep from spending the money to have it done. It was a free cat but I am already spending a lot on food, litter, flea treatment and flea spray and flea collar because it had fleas they didn't tell me about when I got it, toys, bedding, food dishes, litter box, carrier..the list goes on into hundreds of dollars and now if a boy hundreds more to get fixed. I named the cat Luna too and if it's a boy that doesn't even fit anymore. I really should have just made 100% sure of the sex before bringing it home but thought I could trust these people. Live and learn I suppose.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do get him neutered soon and he’ll be a mellow cat who won’t spray. Do you have a low-cost spay/neuter clinic in your area?

Sassy Tiger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sarthur2 do you think it's a male too? There is a cat welfare in my town that is lower cost than a vet but it's still not very cheap. The cat is 13 weeks old now and I believe they need to be at least 4 months old to get the procedure done from what I read.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those certainly seem to be testicles!

Females ought to the spayed as well, because many females will howl and pee everywhere and try to get outside when in heat, plus unspayed females are prone to reproductive disorders. So do try to get them both done.

Call the clinic to ask about their age requirements. Most will do it at 12 weeks, some will do it at 8 weeks. Kittens usually aren't fertile until at least 4 months so they can be together until then.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having a female spayed is MUCH more expensive than having a male neutered. If you get him neutered before he is 6 months old, he shouldn't spray, out of 20 males I have had, none have sprayed if they were neutered. Spraying is more of a Tomcat thing, they are marking territory and looking for mates. If you wait too long, there iS the possibility of them spraying because the male hormones have built up. Females that are not spayed are VERY obnoxious, they meow loudly and continuously, and are Houdini's at getting out. Plus all the unwanted and continuous kittens. if I had a choice (and I haven't since all my cats have chosen me) I would rather have a male. They are usually friendlier and get along with others better than females.

Sassy Tiger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the information :) I printed the application out for cat welfare to have him neutered. Will send that and the payment in. Spaying was $10 more. I had a male orange cat when I got my 1st apartment and he was the best..he passed away years ago so figured it was time for a new furbaby. I think Luna can be a boy's name too so I'm keeping it. I love him bunches!

Sassy Tiger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to mention my daughter's cat is a rescue and she is spayed already luckily.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's good, when you said it was important he not be a male I thought that meant pregnancy was a risk.

Well, he's still young so as long as he's neutered before he's around 6 months old or so there shouldn't be any spraying going on.

Sassy Tiger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awww thank you all so much, it is Facebook official now that he is a boy lol since I made a post with the updated news thanks to your replies. This site is so helpful! Now I just have to get used to saying pretty boy instead of pretty girl and good boy instead of good girl to him :lol:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's not easy! I often call friends little girl cats 'he' because I am so used to boys.I even call my own one little girl he at times. I guess it is what you are using the longest and the most!