Need help rehoming my cats (Houston, Texas)!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

nothing that we did cuased him to act this way it was prior to us having him that he must have had a bad time. My son is too young to even get near him like that, and none of use hurt.
Amrutha said in her first post that,

"  Inky is super quiet and gentle, but very friendly as well."

I really don't think he is a cat that had been mistreated or was particularly wary of men prior to coming to you. I think what you were seeing was a nervous cat that hadn't been given time to properly get used to his new home. As @sarthur2  said, it can take months for a cat to become comfortable in his new home.

There's no undoing what has been done, but I hope for Inky's sake you will make every effort to trap him and re-home him. Have you been able to contact Amrutha and let her know what happened? She might be able to help with re-trapping Inky.

boellp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You know the only reason I posted a update was to let you guys know what's going on, I didn't ask for advise or for your opinions in the matter, I took the cat in , not any of you guys and I could tell he has been mistreated PRIOR to me getting him. So I don't need negative comments telling me that I'm wrong and know nothing becuase you guys aren't expects , neither am I but I have had cats my entire life and have ran not cats that have been in the same boat at he was, so if you guys don't mind I would appreciate not to be told the situation and state the cat was in because I was the only one on here that saw. And to clear things up the story she told on here isn't exactly what I was told when picking the cat up, she goes to college in Austin and inky stayed at home in Houston with her father. She would only be home on the weekends. And in fact her father had a huge scratch down the middle of his forehead when I picked that cat up, that tells me either the cat doesn't like him or doesn't like males. So next time please stop judging right away and telling me what I need to do

boellp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And I understand that and mentioned I would try to get him back, but when people are asking how I hurt him and what did my son do to hurt him is quite upsetting to say the least

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't remember anyone accusing you or your son of harming him.  I only saw people saying he was probably scared and nervous because he was in a new home.

I'm sure you'll do the best you can for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amrutha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, it's been a super long time and I apologize for that-I haven't been getting updates on the thread like normal, so I thought there was no action. I only managed to log on today due to previous bandwidth issues, and I'm deeply saddened by what has happened to Inky/Vader-and I just want to let you all know that he was not mistreated in ANY way before this-he was a super-scaredy cat by nature, but we're the only humans he ever knew, and we only ever treated him like one of us (that is my mom and I, who were primarily responsible for the cat care). And I also wanted to clear up some misunderstandings- I do go to school in Austin, but I've been home every weekend, and my mom has been primarily caring for the cats, she's the only animal lover in the house apart from me. We took Inky/Vader in with his siblings when they were kittens, but my dad hates animals and told us that he wouldn't tolerate them being permanent house pets, which is why we had to give them up to other people. And @boellp  the big 'scratch' that my dad had down his forehead was not a scratch at all-it was vermillion powder that he wears on his forehead for religious reasons. We are Indian/Hindu, and wearing a red mark on our forehead is common custom-for women it takes the form of smaller red dots on the forehead, for men it is often a long red line or dash on the forehead. My dad has always worn the vermillion mark as a long thin line down the center of his forehead, and this has absolutely nothing to do with Inky. My dad has never touched or been touched by a cat all his life, he has never handled an animal. I would like to emphasize that we never mistreated the cats in any way-the other two cats, Tawny and Fluffy, have settled in really well with their new owners thankfully, and we miss all of them-we really love animals and not even my dad who hates animals has ever actually harmed one in any way. Inky was a naturally timid cat even when he was with us, and I made no attempt to hide this-in fact I emphasized this several times. He has never been violent with us, and he is by nature not at all aggressive. I am deeply sorry that things didn't work out with Inky, but please don't give up on him-he has no idea how to fend for himself and at the very least please try and feed him. And I know this is extremely late, but if you can somehow get him inside, we are willing to give you the money back and take him back as well. Please don't give up on him-I did not anticipate that this would all go so horribly wrong, but I did want to clear up a few misunderstandings and apologize for my absence from the thread. Thank you all for being so concerned and helping out so much! 

amrutha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also another note-if there is any effort to trap and rehome him, let me know-I will try my best to help, and like I said, if you can trap him I will gladly give you the money back and take him back to rehome him. And the only reason I can think of that he reacted this way to the situation was that he was not ready for a fast adjustment, as he is easily frightened and needed more time than his siblings to adjust to new situations. Please try to trap him, he has no idea how to survive on his own.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello @Amrutha  Thanks for checking in with us. I can imagine how upsetting it must be for you to read this thread. A lot of us were really concerned about what happened to Inky. It's such an awful feeling when you think you've found the perfect home for a cat and then it turns out to be so far from that.

@boellp  hasn't been back to TCS since his last post. Hopefully he has taken our advice and left food out for Inky. I think he realises that he made a mistake. He says he is an animal lover, so I'm sure he will try and do what's best for Inky. Is there any way you could get down to the area that he was released and try to find him? He will remember your voice and will probably be overjoyed to see a friendly face again.

Some of my cats went gone missing for over a month and were out fending for themselves all the time I was trying to find them. They managed to survive, although they were a little skinny when I finally got them home. I think Inky will stay close to the area he was released in and manage to find something to eat. Scared cats tend to stay put.

Once again, I'm really sorry about how things turned out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and Inky. I hope he is found soon and gets the home he deserves after everything he's been through.

amrutha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@Norachan  Yes it was horrible to read what happened-it feels terrible because I was so hopeful Inky had found the perfect home for him, and it turns out its gone so awry. And to be described of as abusing him and/or misrepresenting facts on top of it all didn't help, especially since I tried to be as open as possible about Inky so that his transition would be smooth.  I've always acted with Inky's best interests at heart, so to be tacitly blamed for his adjustment problems was hurtful.  I feel so guilty now because I just assumed when @boellp  stopped contacting me and I stopped receiving the thread notifications that Inky was doing well, and I was especially confident that @boellp  would be able to understand Inky because of his experience with the other cats. I also got caught up in getting Inky's siblings adopted out, and I figured that I had no need to worry too much about Inky because he was in good hands. Thank you so much for your understanding you described exactly how it feels.  

I really do hope, like you said, that he doesn't give up on Inky. 

I would be willing to go there and get Inky as you suggested, but I have no way of going there as I don't have a car, and the only travelling I do is from Austin to Houston by bus. I will try to find a way to get down to where he was released, even though I'm not sure how possible it's going to be. I don't know what @boellp  's address is, so hopefully he comes back on the thread. It's really comforting to hear that your cats returned to you-I can only hope the same happens with Inky. I really hope that he survives and manages to get found in time. Thank you so much for your condolences and concern, I really appreciate the support and the well wishes. I'll keep my fingers crossed too, hopefully Inky will stay put and survive, and as you said, get the home he deserves. Once again thank you so much, your support really means a lot to me. 

iwilltakethem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please, I'm in San Antonio. Not that far away. Winter is coming and I take in the most damaged animals everyone throws away. If you can just tell me where to look I will come for him and try and get him. If you havent decided to try and get him again.
What a lot of people don't understand is lack of social skills is just as dangerous as a feral cat. I understand what you did although I dont agree with it. But you had to choose between you son and a cat you didn't know. Just think about it and let me know