Need Help Questions

wera

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat 8 years old had urinary blockage last july 30 with acute kidney failure of 6.3 crea bun 100 and infection of 31 then he undergone PU surgery by giving him female genitals that time and 2 weeks after the surgery we did another blood test and his crea became normal to 1.5 mg/dl and infection was cleared. He has slow healing progress because of the tube and catheter they put for a month to avoid the new hole to close up. Then 2 weeks after they removed the catheter. I noticed my cat is peeing 5 times a day with normal urine then sometimes peeing multiple times like 10 times with little urine, the vet said it is just behavioral since he doesn't have his manhood anymore it continues but i didn't see him being thirsty a lot, just urinating frequently. There is no vomiting and there is no decrease in appetite. He is very active. Then about 6 days ago my cat is urinating with blood and we rushed him to the vet they did bloodwork and he has infection wbc is 29 and his crea is 2.6 and bun is 70. The vet said if the blood continues they will do urinalysis and ultrasound but it was stopped after 1 day admittance in the vet. They didn't do urinalysis and ultrasound because there is no more blood and the urine is still cleared up to now. He was also in IV for 3 days. His appetite is really good and is very active at the vet. I asked if I need to put him in prescription diet but the vet said there is no need. I just gave the vet fancy feast classics, kitcat grain free and orijen cat food. They will do another bloodwork on tuesday. Do you think my cat will be ok now? I called today, they said he is very active and looks healthy and eating a lot. I am just scared with his crea when they did the bloodwork 6 days ago. Is this only some kind of infection because of his PU surgery? Does that catheter he had for 1 month caused the infection?

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Extended use of a catheter can certainly cause URIs in both humans AND cats. Now, although I am certainly no vet, I'm thinking that once this clears up, he'll do well. The fact that he remains active and with a healthy appetite indicates that he probably doesn't have anything really drastic going on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wera

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi the bloodwork is out again he still has infection 23 and crea goes up to 3 it is 2.6 1 week ago. Is it because there is till infection? Is it also they didn't let him take prescription diet while the crea is still elevated? And the food is high protein like orijen? Do you think this is because of infection or is it kidney? I don't see any other symptoms like decrease in appetite and being lethargic or vomiting ever since after the surgery. The only abnormalities again now is blood in the stool which bright red color. The urine is clear and no blood now.

wera

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it still because of the infection? His infection is still at 23. I asked the vet now to switch him to prescription diet. I asked about his activities and the vet said there no problem with his activities he is responsive and eats a lot

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think probably the infection IS in the kidney. I'd be amazed if it weren't. But it sounds like your vet has a handle on it. Does he know about the blood in the stool? The fact that it is bright red is actually kinda good. That means it is coming from low in the intestinal tract, and could just be from parasites or straining. Make sure the vet is aware of it. Many cats will have some blood in their stools occasionally, but if there is a LOT and it is ALL THE TIME, something is amiss.

wera

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They knew about it and dewormed him 2 times this last september 21 and last october 5. I sometimes only see the blood when I saw him straining. But the blood is not all the time it's only when i see him straining. He has big appetite and always asking for food. The Vet also said if i am feeding too much he cannot digest it properly because he is 8 years old. Even if the infection is in the kidney, can it be treated and his crea will be normal again? I am just worried because he just had PU surgery 2 1/2 months ago which is a major surgery and still healing from it. I always ask his everyday activities and the vet said there is no decrease in appetite since last week and he is alert and active. I observed there is no decrease in appetite ever since his surgery. I will visit him today and feed him

wera

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I visited him today and he is very active he ate the whole pouch of wet food and very excited inside his cage when I opened his wet food pouch. I asked if he is drinking a lot, his caretaker said he is drinking normally. He also gained weight. He is 3.55 kg about a week ago but now he gained to 3.60kg. He is also very sweet to me after eating. They will do ultrasound later. Is my cat ok? He seems very active and looks healthy

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think, although it is hard to say without actually seeing him, that your cat is fine. Being active and wanting food are two of the surest signs of health.

wera

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just have a question, while his crea is at 2.6 then we fed him 40 percent high protein diet can this cause his crea to elevate? Does this mean kidney problem already or just improper diet while crea is elevated and infection is still high?

I called today they said very active and eating a lot. He still have tiny bit of blood in the stool again. They dewormed him and palpated his abdomen about it and the vet he is ok. The vet said it might be if he eat too much he can't digest his food properly because he is 8 years

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry, that is so far out of my area of expertise that I won't even hazard a guess! And eight is getting older for a cat, I know MY digestion isn't what it was!