Need Help Potty Pad Training My Cat

hamahannah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Again!
Last time I posted, I had recently adopted a cat and was having problems litter training her. Almost a year later and no progress has been made with litter. She continues to be deathly afraid of standing on litter and in order to make my life and Gracie (My cat)'s lives less stressful, I've just used potty pads in lieu of litter.

This works for the most part but now a new problem has arisen. When she uses the potty pads, she ends up getting pee on her feet an tracking it through the house. Because of this, I have to constantly clean the floors and wash her feet (which she really hates!)

If any has a cat who uses potty pads has any advice please let me know!

(I have tried to litter train her with various different litters such as crystals, tidy cats, paper, wood pellets etc. If the potty pad is not there, 98% of the time she will pee/poo next to the litter box. She was born with deformed paws so I don't know if that is the main reason why she won't use the litter or if she has some former trauma with it.

If I could meet a cat behaviorist I would, but I currently live in South Korea and I'm not sure if that kind of profession exists here. )

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I would guess I would say her paws hurt her. I have heard that the finest litter you can find (light light weight clumping litter) helps. In her case can you put paper towels around her pee pad or will she just use the paper towels? The poor dear! :sickcat: Can the vet give her something for the pain? This site has a cat health forum, maybe they might have some ideas?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hamahannah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If I would guess I would say her paws hurt her. I have heard that the finest litter you can find (light light weight clumping litter) helps. In her case can you put paper towels around her pee pad or will she just use the paper towels? The poor dear! :sickcat: Can the vet give her something for the pain? This site has a cat health forum, maybe they might have some ideas?
I've tried placing other potty pads around to try and dry her paws but it didn't really make too much of a difference.

When I take her back into the vet to get her heartworm stuff I'll try to bring it up to him and see if he has any advice!

I also just ordered a new litter box that kind of mimics a toilet (not the ones that go on your toilet. So I'm hoping that she will take to that.

I'll try and use some of the light clumping litter and see how she does with it!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure the litter hurts her poor paws, or gets trapped in them and then hurts. Have you tried shredded paper in a box? It might work and be more absorbent. Or place a small bath rug/towel in front of the pads to absorb the mess, those can be washed. You are an angel for giving her a home, I'm sure she is very thankful!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww.... poor Gracie. Even though some cats learn to mimic their owners and toilet train themselves, I'm still not sure how I feel about cats using toilets. But in Gracie's case, and especially since it won't a real toilet, I hope she catches onto the concept. Let us know how it goes.