Need help on getting my cat used to grooming

moa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!
So almost two months ago I adopted a five year old cat Jojoba from the shelter. When we went to a vet for a checkup, we found out that her ears are VERY dirty (thankfully, no mites). She also has a tiny bit dental plaque. I was advised to clean her ears and brush her teeth.

However, my cat will not accept being picked up and will kick and bite until she escapes. The vet saw the way she behaved and advised to wrap her up in a towel to clean her ears and use treats for dental hygiene (even if it's less effective than brushing). Jojoba also has very sharp claws, so ideally I would want to trim those as well.

I have been wrapping her up in a towel to clean her ears, but every time I still end up with my hands all scratched. It gets so bad, that after the we're done she will avoid me for a day or two afterwards.

I know how to properly get cat used to grooming: you need to slowly get them used to you touching them, give them treats, encourage them. And only once they let you close, try to groom. The problem is - it can take weeks. But her ears were SO bad and were bothering her so much, I didn't have a choice but to start right away.

I try to talk to her gently throughout the procedure, give her treats. She doesn't care for any of that, her only goal in the moment is to escape.
This whole thing makes me so sad, because she is such a tactile and lovely cat. She loves being pet and loves laying on me. But as soon as you touch her ears, paws, teeth, etc. she runs away (she was this way ever since I got her).

I dread having to clean her ears every week, because she will avoid me afterwards, and I'm scared that I'm harming our relationship by trying to make her ears feel better. We also haven't even started trying to trim her claws or brushing her teeth, she just won't let me!

I would be happy with any advice, this whole thing is stressing both of us out

cat tax :)
photo_2024-03-14_13-11-13.jpg

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's beautiful!
I have a cat that loves being in a lap, pet, etc., but the moment you pick her up and try to do anything she shreds your arms. For her, the best way is to just get things done as quickly as possible with a cheerful "all done" when whatever I have to do is over with.
My almost 16 year old female has chronically dirty ears, and needs them wiped out every day or every other day. For her, I sit down, set her in my lap and kind of "block" escape with my arms and just get it done ASAP. She hates it, but at this point in time she forgives me immediately and that wasn't always the case when it was still something novel and new to her.
Do you have to use a medicated cleaner?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are the same way. I can only get ONE claw clipped at a time, grooming is a nightmare. I have resorted to taking them to the vet for ear cleaning, trimming etc. Ask what they would charge for a once a week visit for a while. Once the ears are cleared up, trimming hair and claws could be done at regular vet visits. My vet only charges 20.00 for these services so well worth it. i acn't believe how well behaved they are at the vet!

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I agree with both above. Treats don't work in these cases. Your best bet is to snatch her up, do it fast, and let her go. Or get a grommer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats are the same way. I can only get ONE claw clipped at a time, grooming is a nightmare. I have resorted to taking them to the vet for ear cleaning, trimming etc. Ask what they would charge for a once a week visit for a while. Once the ears are cleared up, trimming hair and claws could be done at regular vet visits. My vet only charges 20.00 for these services so well worth it. i acn't believe how well behaved they are at the vet!
She is actually even more of a nightmare at the vet, than when she's at home 😅 Although maybe I'll be able to invite a vet/groomer to our apartment. Hopefully it'll be at least a little bit less stressful

Last time we went, her vet recommended giving her a sedative pill, so that I could do those procedures normally. But even slow and sleepy, she mustered all of her strength to get away from me, when I was trying to trim her claws.

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
One time we had a big strong cat who fought to get away from such procedures. Hubby held him down while I did the work. Towels were too much hassle, and too easy to wiggle out of. Better to wear multiple long-sleeve shirts pulled over the wrist. No talking or explaining. We just did it. After we let him cool off, we offered a dollop of ranch dressing. Super special treat. He learned to expect it. He never enjoyed the trimming, but he'd run to the kitchen to demand his ranch, and he was fine the rest of the day.

moa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One time we had a big strong cat who fought to get away from such procedures. Hubby held him down while I did the work. Towels were too much hassle, and too easy to wiggle out of. Better to wear multiple long-sleeve shirts pulled over the wrist. No talking or explaining. We just did it. After we let him cool off, we offered a dollop of ranch dressing. Super special treat. He learned to expect it. He never enjoyed the trimming, but he'd run to the kitchen to demand his ranch, and he was fine the rest of the day.
I did recently found treats that she really likes! She doesn't care for them in the moment, when I clean her ears, but maybe they'll help her to be less mad, when I'm done :) Thanks!

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think sometimes it takes time and repetition for them to learn that you aren't really hurting them and that it's over quickly. I start mine off when they're young but they still try to fight me sometimesq . But I think they learn I'm the boss and they forgive me after.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I dread having to clean her ears every week, because she will avoid me afterwards, and I'm scared that I'm harming our relationship by trying to make her ears feel better.
She may be upset about being fussed with but trust me, she loves you and as you said, she loves to let you pet her and lay on your lap. This is all new to her and it will take time and patience but try not to worry.🤗 From the looks of your pic she's a tortie and they have what we refer to as tortitude.:biggrin: Our last cat was a tortie/tabby mix, (torbie), and she was a feisty gal but very attached to me nonetheless. Our present persian cat came from a bad hoarding situation so like your Jojaba he's a lover but does not like to be messed with either. Even though I tried my best to groom him and get mats out before they got too bad we eventually had to take him to a groomer who also cleans his ears and clips his nails. Luckily I can usually clean his ears without a problem when he's sleepy but it's really tough to trim his nails. Sometimes I bring him to the vet and one of the techs does it but even they have a not so pleasant time. For that reason they suggested giving him a low dose of gabapentin several hours prior to bringing him in. It really did help!

• Purraise
Reactions: moa

moa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She may be upset about being fussed with but trust me, she loves you and as you said, she loves to let you pet her and lay on your lap. This is all new to her and it will take time and patience but try not to worry.🤗 From the looks of your pic she's a tortie and they have what we refer to as tortitude.:biggrin: Our last cat was a tortie/tabby mix, (torbie), and she was a feisty gal but very attached to me nonetheless. Our present persian cat came from a bad hoarding situation so like your Jojaba he's a lover but does not like to be messed with either. Even though I tried my best to groom him and get mats out before they got too bad we eventually had to take him to a groomer who also cleans his ears and clips his nails. Luckily I can usually clean his ears without a problem when he's sleepy but it's really tough to trim his nails. Sometimes I bring him to the vet and one of the techs does it but even they have a not so pleasant time. For that reason they suggested giving him a low dose of gabapentin several hours prior to bringing him in. It really did help!
Tortitude, love it 😀
At the shelter there were several torties and yes, all of them had an attitude. Jojoba was actually the most tame one of them. When I came up to her, she started to snuggle up to me and wouldn't let me leave, so I had to take her with me. But as soon as we came home she started showing her strong character :biggrin: The volonteers at the shelter were very surprised when I told them how feisty she is, but did say that all of their other torties are exactly the same
Thank you for the reassurance! I'll continue to give her lots of love and hopefully in time she'll come around (or at least stop trying to escape so hard :) )

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!
So almost two months ago I adopted a five year old cat Jojoba from the shelter. When we went to a vet for a checkup, we found out that her ears are VERY dirty (thankfully, no mites). She also has a tiny bit dental plaque. I was advised to clean her ears and brush her teeth.

However, my cat will not accept being picked up and will kick and bite until she escapes. The vet saw the way she behaved and advised to wrap her up in a towel to clean her ears and use treats for dental hygiene (even if it's less effective than brushing). Jojoba also has very sharp claws, so ideally I would want to trim those as well.

I have been wrapping her up in a towel to clean her ears, but every time I still end up with my hands all scratched. It gets so bad, that after the we're done she will avoid me for a day or two afterwards.

I know how to properly get cat used to grooming: you need to slowly get them used to you touching them, give them treats, encourage them. And only once they let you close, try to groom. The problem is - it can take weeks. But her ears were SO bad and were bothering her so much, I didn't have a choice but to start right away.

I try to talk to her gently throughout the procedure, give her treats. She doesn't care for any of that, her only goal in the moment is to escape.
This whole thing makes me so sad, because she is such a tactile and lovely cat. She loves being pet and loves laying on me. But as soon as you touch her ears, paws, teeth, etc. she runs away (she was this way ever since I got her).

I dread having to clean her ears every week, because she will avoid me afterwards, and I'm scared that I'm harming our relationship by trying to make her ears feel better. We also haven't even started trying to trim her claws or brushing her teeth, she just won't let me!

I would be happy with any advice, this whole thing is stressing both of us out

cat tax :)
View attachment 472277
Best time to do it is when she's napping so she will be easy to pick up. For brushing start with hand brushes ever time she walks by give a swipe. There is dental past to use on her gums by hand. Let her lick the tooth past and check out the brush. I never remember. Good luck!