Need help now

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Luv Furbabies

I just want to make sure that people know that ointments HELP keep the bacteria inside the body.
Not on puncture wounds, scratches - which is why I said the scratches. I've been getting bad scratches from cats, dirty wire outside, rose bushes (even fell into a huge one at age 4 - I'll never forget that), and pretty much any other nasty thing that a person can get scratched on since I've been mobile. They were always treated with an antibiotic ointment and deeper ones as I suggested to keep things out of them. None were still infected nearly two weeks later - not even the really deep ones from a cat attack, they healed within a week (which incidentally was treated with antibiotic ointment and covered in the ER by the doctor and nurse there).

You should get your daughter rechecked if she still has infected scratches this many days later as that is not normal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luv furbabies

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OkAY, I see what your saying...

I just read and the stuff from the hospital said not to put ointment on any cat related injuries.. Maybe our area, I don't know...

She looks pretty good today...

Tomorrow, she is traveling to do the half time show at a Sacramento Kings Basketball game!!! No stopping this kid!!

Melissa

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Not on puncture wounds, scratches - which is why I said the scratches. I've been getting bad scratches from cats, dirty wire outside, rose bushes (even fell into a huge one at age 4 - I'll never forget that), and pretty much any other nasty thing that a person can get scratched on since I've been mobile. They were always treated with an antibiotic ointment and deeper ones as I suggested to keep things out of them. None were still infected nearly two weeks later - not even the really deep ones from a cat attack, they healed within a week (which incidentally was treated with antibiotic ointment and covered in the ER by the doctor and nurse there).

You should get your daughter rechecked if she still has infected scratches this many days later as that is not normal.
When my then feral kitten Gus scratched up my hands and arms really bad. The ER washed them out and applied polysporin then bandaged then. I was instructed to do the same at home daily, until healed. They healed wonderfully.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

When my then feral kitten Gus scratched up my hands and arms really bad. The ER washed them out and applied polysporin then bandaged then. I was instructed to do the same at home daily, until healed. They healed wonderfully.
Did it hurt when they scrubbed your cuts out? Mine did - but then I had the back claw shredding going on. Somewhere around 20-25 scratch/gouges.
I had to keep mine covered because it was really painful if I didn't. Some of the scars are still sensitive.

DH got hurt at work (minor) a few years ago - he banged his shin open leaving a gash/dent/scrap-thing. I cleaned and tended it for him for the first two days with directions that he must clean it before work and after work each day. He did that for only one or two days and it got infected badly enough that he almost needed a doctor. Guys.
I was pretty rough cleaning it out and forcefully made him resume care on it for over a week and it healed perfectly. Had he listened to me to begin with, though, it wouldn't have scarred as badly as it did.

Lesson: Use proper wound care on your minor wounds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luv furbabies

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Did it hurt when they scrubbed your cuts out? Mine did - but then I had the back claw shredding going on. Somewhere around 20-25 scratch/gouges.
I had to keep mine covered because it was really painful if I didn't. Some of the scars are still sensitive.

Lesson: Use proper wound care on your minor wounds.
Great advice and lesson..

Out of her counted 37 skin invasions, only 3 were problematic... I WILL put neosporin on those since you have had no ill effects from this... Otherwise, she is healing, scars = yes, but that is nothing compared to what the outcome COULD have been!!

Personal experience is key to learning!!