need help new cat/old cat intros......

maureenl128

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. I'm new here and thought I could get you opinion on this matter. We just lost our 2 year old boy Scooter a couple weeks ago to a car. He left behind his buddy my 1 1/2 year old Missy. She went around the house looking for him for a couple weeks so we decided to get a new buddy for her. We adopted 6 month old Max from a local shelter. He is extremely lovable and friendly and has been around many other cats. Missy of course is hissing and the usual becaus he's new to the house. He is safe in our spare bedroom with lots of toys, his own box, and bed. We will be introducing them slowly and they do sniff eachother through the door. Any advice on how else to go about new introductions? Is getting a pheramone diffuser a helpful thing? I have thought about it just to diffuse any tension till they get to knw eachother. I appreciate it! Thanks!

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feliway diffusers work very well during new introductions, at least in this house. They also work well for brining one cat back from the vet without the other going crazy. With a kitten like that, Missy may accept him more quickly than most other cats because goofball kittens are usually seen as less of a threat dominance-wise in the household.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maureenl128

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the info. I will be picking one up tomorrow. I will try anything if it seems to ease the tension.