Need Help Managing Food Aggression

freyascats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About three months ago we rescued a 'mostly feral' adult male Siamese who is now vaccinated and neutered and living on our secure cat porch - separately from our indoor cats until he settles down. It's been slow going, but in the past week I've noticed significant changes in his behavior, some positive, some not so much. A few weeks ago, I started sitting on the floor to feed him and began offering him canned food from a long handled spoon along with his kibble. He gradually allowed me to touch and then pet him as he eats. In the beginning, he had to work up his nerve to come to the plate with me there, pacing for up to 10 minutes before approaching. About the same time, I began going out to talk to him a lot more and engaging him in play with a feather lure.

The good part is that he now comes close and occasionally head butts or rubs my legs and he clearly enjoys being petted while eating. I'm reluctant to risk petting him other times yet, as he will scratch. He's gotten quite vocal (Siamese!) and is waiting for me at feeding times rather than hiding in his 'house'.

I used to be able to move around on the porch to clean his litter box, change his water, etc, and he just went up onto a shelf where he feels safe. Now he stays down and occasionally swats at me, although I move gently and calmly. The worst part is that he's gotten quite aggressive at feeding time, charging and swatting as I go to put down the kibble. I've been saying "No!" sharply, but it's challenging to stand my ground in the face of 12 pounds of aggressive cat. I've tried giving him the kibble first, leaving, then coming back out later to sit down to feed the canned food from a regular spoon or in the dish. Let the kibble 'take the edge off', so to speak. This is when I can pet him with relative safety. However, If I use my right hand to shift the dish or spoon out food, he pops me.

My sense is that he's starting to enjoy our interaction but he's also terrified I'll take his food away. We'll have food issues with him - I can already tell he wants to eat far more than is appropriate, and he was skin and bones when we trapped him.

Does any one have any suggestion on how to discourage the aggression? He's a lovely boy and apart from that, we're making great progress.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think he has settled into his new area and is feeling more confident. But he is worried about a lack of resources and his lack of control over his ability to get food without you. He's also tied you to food alone and the swating is probably him trying to ask where his food is or expecting your appearance to coincide with food. 

I would try going in his area during non-feeding or cleaning times. Just ignore his behavior (or a firm "No" if he is aggressive) and read a book, knit, or whatever. That way he stops seeing your arrival equaling food. Also, either set up a free feeding station where he can munch on dry kibble and do the wet at meal times or wet free feeding. That way he again has control over when he eats. The overeating isn't an issue quiet yet; remember he is coming from never having enough so he is falling back on habit to eat as much as he can. He should stop once he realizes he isn't going to run out of food or once he learns how to tell he is full. The other option would be doing a free feeding by giving him treat toys (you know the ones where they have to figure out a puzzle for a treat or roll a ball to get treats out but use just dry kibble instead of treats) or a slow feeder to slow him down so he feels full and stops instead of eating too much too quickly. 

The basic idea is to make your presence mean more than just food and give him back some of his control over his food.  

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The hand thing, my little girl was a feral for the first 4 months of her life. She's been with me for 18 months now, she still hates when more than one hand is touching her or moving around. I've learned to just do things one handed and not use two hands at the same time around her. I don't know if this is a feral thing but she just doesn't seem to be able to handle two hands around her at the same time. I've always figured its an issue with feeling trapped or fear thing. 

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my ferals did the same thing.  He would come after me the second I opened the door.  When I was placing the food down, he was trying to bite and scratch me to get to the food.  He would then come after me as I was leaving the room and attack the back of my leg. 

I used a square shaped chair pad to hold him back.  I would bring the chair pad in one hand and the food in the other, often having to make multiple trips.  I would place the chair pad in front of him and gently push him back.  He was startled by the chair pad, but quickly got the message.  I also had to be sure that I was not projecting fear and that I was a calm as possible.  I began to allow him to swat at me and not move my hand.  I was somewhat testing to the limits to see if he would really go after my hand or just swat.  Each time it was just a swat.

Are you using any Feliway diffusers?  THese might help.  Also you might try some Composure treats or liquid.  They are a nonsedating calming supplement.  I have had great luck using them with feral cats who I have socialized.  I am using it now on my latest.

Also you might want to try a pet petter.  I made my first one years ago.  I used an old wand toy and covered the end with a clean sock.  I secure it with duct tape.  I then wrapped a soft piece of flannel around it.  It can be used as a toy as well and then you can use it to gently touch the cat.  I usually start with touching them from behind so they don't see it coming.  It takes a few days to get them used to it, but most learn to love it.  I have also sprinkled some catnip on the end to entice them.  Here is a picture of the pet petter and one of my ferals from last summer who was just loving the touch. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

freyascats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wonderful suggestions, folks. I've been spending 'hang out' time with him apart from feeding, but will increase that. He's getting Solliquin chews to help with anxiety and Rescue Remedy in his water. I'll look for toys that dispense kibble so he has more control over food and increased enrichment, too. Love the idea of the 'Petter'! 

More than anything, I sense he's conflicted. "I enjoy the nice lady but I'm also scared." Each time we've approached a breakthrough, he's become temporarily more agitated, and then some new positive behavior. Yesterday he acted really curious as I was going through the door between the cat porch and our kitchen, sniffing and almost acting like he wanted to enter the house. The next thing I knew, one of our indoor cats, a goofy ginger, slipped out onto the porch. I held my breath --- and they touched noses and did a nice sniff greeting. No hissing, etc. I was stunned and delighted! 

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's often one step forward, two steps back when working with ferals.  They seem to need lots of time, patience and love to fully adjust.

Have you ever tried any of Jackson Galaxy's Spirit Essences?  I find them much better than Rescue Remedy.  THey have a Feral one ( it used to be called Feral Cat Rehab but they changed the name) that is incredible.  I also really like Safe Space for Cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

freyascats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About the time Ghost's food aggression peaked, we had another breakthrough and he began to let me pet him. He's still a very anxious cat and self-calms by frantically rubbing himself against his scratching post and now me. I spend more time playing with him and a prolonged warm spell allowed us to leave the door between the kitchen and cat porch open so our indoor cats could visit him. He's obviously happy to see visitors now and chirps to them. They calmly sniff-greet with him, but he hasn't been willing to come into the house yet. I have been able to engage him in play with two of our three indoor guys. The pet flap stays open whenever he's ready to come in. I still have to pay attention to his body language, as he'll swat if over-stimulated, but he's no longer charging me and we've reached the point where he would rather rub against my legs and be stroked than eat, which is amazing.

In an attempt to get him to just curl up next to me, I tried laying down on the floor so he could sniff and explore me on his own terms. I guess this behavior was just too strange, and it earned me a bop on the head, but without claws. A reminder that he needs extra time with anything unfamiliar. My husband has begun feeding him some and Ghost is becoming more relaxed with him, as well.

Any suggestions about how to get from the frantic scent-marking stage to the curling up beside stage? He clearly loves being stroked but continues pacing and just won't sit or lay down. Maybe it'll just take time.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I believe it will all just take time and lots of time.  When I brought one of my feral cats inside the house, it was well over a year before he was comfortable to get on my bed and snuggle.  Just keep moving forward and take things slowly.  I really found that when I wished for something with my feral cats that it was best to just celebrate the small successes and not aim so high.  Little by little you will get there, but look for the small/giant steps he has already made! 

I used to wish for my very first feral boy to sit in my lap.  I worked and worked on it and one day I realized that it was something I wanted, but not something the cat wanted.  I took a step back and decided to just stop trying.  It was another 2 years and one night while I was out on the deck with him sitting down, he put two paws in my lap.  I helped him the rest of the way!!