Need help keeping Luna away from the door

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Luna is now very interested in the outside. Every time someone even goes near the door. She's right there. We're watching closely but I'm afraid she's going to sneak out. Any ideas of how to keep her away from the door?

Lynxx never showed an interest in going outside. Midnight so far hasn't either. But if Luna were to sneak out, he'd follow her.

I DO NOT want and WILL NOT have an outdoor cat. Our street used to be dead when I was little, I got excited if I saw a car. Now our street has tons of cars, and yes cars that speed. We even had 1 neighbor calling the police all the time because of the amount of speeders on this street. She was afraid for her childrens safety. Plus this isn't a good neighborhood anymore, trash has moved in, and I would fear for Luna's safety.

Is there anything like a cat repellent that I could spray the door with? Or what do you guys do to keep your cats indoors?

We never thought this was going to be a problem with Luna, when we first got her she was afraid to even look out the window. She is still afraid of the sound of traffic.

Yes Luna is spayed.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I read one member suggest to put the vacuum cleaner (or whatever they're scared of) by the door. It will deter them from going even near the door.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's nothing in here their afraid of. Luna has fears, but her fears are actually outside. Traffic and men are her fears.

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG! I have this problem too with my littler one. We live in an apartment building and he loves to dash out and run down the hall. Though, once he stops running, he doesn't know what to do.
I usually use my foot as a barrier though sometimes I'm not fast enough. I don't know if the vaccuum would help because while he IS scared of it, it's only when it's running. Plus, we don't have a lot of room by the door to put stuff.

I really have no suggestions on how to stop this, usually I scoot him out of the way with my foot or grab him and pull him back in when he starts goin' for it. Sometimes the dog helps but she's a little clueless. ;-)

He got locked out for 5 hours once, and while he can't go far in the building, it was still disconcerting. I've thought about sending a note to all my neighbors though, just in case. I've heard of embroidered collars where you can get stuff like "If I'm out, I'm lost" and then put a phone number. Or write that on their tag instead of their name (some ppl dont like the name b/c it could cause someone to steal your cat easier if they call the cat by name).

Also, some tips if she does get out and stuff you can practice at home.
1). if she likes treats get her used to the sound of treats so that when you shake or crumple the bag she'll come running for it.

2). If you see her get out, don't run/lunge/chase her...it might encourage her to just run farther away. Talk to her and walk up casually like you were coming to give pets. Usually when indoor cats actually DO get out, they dont' know what to do and tend to freeze.

3). A collar w/ a bell on it lets you know where your cat is so you can hear if they run out. And surprisingly it doesn't interfere with sleep too much...at least mine doesn't.

Best of luck and I'm also looking forward to other suggestions! p.s. I have a Luna too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by miao_kitty

OMG! I have this problem too with my littler one. We live in an apartment building and he loves to dash out and run down the hall. Though, once he stops running, he doesn't know what to do.
I usually use my foot as a barrier though sometimes I'm not fast enough. I don't know if the vaccuum would help because while he IS scared of it, it's only when it's running. Plus, we don't have a lot of room by the door to put stuff.

I really have no suggestions on how to stop this, usually I scoot him out of the way with my foot or grab him and pull him back in when he starts goin' for it. Sometimes the dog helps but she's a little clueless. ;-)

He got locked out for 5 hours once, and while he can't go far in the building, it was still disconcerting. I've thought about sending a note to all my neighbors though, just in case. I've heard of embroidered collars where you can get stuff like "If I'm out, I'm lost" and then put a phone number. Or write that on their tag instead of their name (some ppl dont like the name b/c it could cause someone to steal your cat easier if they call the cat by name).

Also, some tips if she does get out and stuff you can practice at home.
1). if she likes treats get her used to the sound of treats so that when you shake or crumple the bag she'll come running for it.

2). If you see her get out, don't run/lunge/chase her...it might encourage her to just run farther away. Talk to her and walk up casually like you were coming to give pets. Usually when indoor cats actually DO get out, they dont' know what to do and tend to freeze.

3). A collar w/ a bell on it lets you know where your cat is so you can hear if they run out. And surprisingly it doesn't interfere with sleep too much...at least mine doesn't.

Best of luck and I'm also looking forward to other suggestions! p.s. I have a Luna too!
What we do now is whenever 1 of us is out we call and say we're almost home. Whoever is home will put Luna and Midnight in their carriers. If I'm home I'll just pick them both up and hold them until the other person gets in. Midnight seems to be afraid of the door when it opens. He backs away and runs to my room, which is good. Luna comes right to the door and I don't think it's to greet the person coming in. You luck out in having a hallway where we live, 2 feet away from the door is the street. They are both microchipped. Having a hard time keeping the collar on them. Midnight hates the collar. Luna wears it but Midnight pulls it off of her. I used to tell them "every cat in this house wears his, or her, collar with pride". Midnight and I have had many conversations about wearing the collar
I tell him he's got 2 choices 1. He can wear his collar, or 2 he can wear his collar with pride.

Lynxx
never gave us a problem, he loved his collar from the moment we put it on him. Each season we used to buy him a new collar. He'd run over and let my mother put it on him, then puff his chest out with pride. We kept his baby collar (thank God) and the collar he was wearing when he died. I have them in a special place. He did get outside once but he just froze. He never attempted to go outside again. He would greet us at the door, but never showed an interest in going out. He was the perfect cat

Both your cats are cute