Need Help! Is this kitten a ragdoll? With pictures

eli88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am considering buying a ragdoll cat and I saw this baby girl on a ragdoll cattery website. It looks very sweet, but her eye color is brown, which is different from the blue eyes that ragdolls usually have. The kitten also looks a little different from what a ragdoll looks like from my impression. The website describes it as a chocolate bi-color. Does this kitten look like a purebred ragdoll? Would really appreciate it if someone could help. Thank you very much. 

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It seems to me that the personality of the kitten and your chemistry with her are what's important unless you plan to be a Ragdoll breeder, in which case you need to do a lot of study first, decide what bloodlines you like the look of, what colors you want to breed, and whether or not you plan to show.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

It seems to me that the personality of the kitten and your chemistry with her are what's important unless you plan to be a Ragdoll breeder, in which case you need to do a lot of study first, decide what bloodlines you like the look of, what colors you want to breed, and whether or not you plan to show.
  Very true.   The problem here is probably the price.  The seller wants surely a price for a purebred ragdoll, while if it is a pretty moggie the price should be much less.

So, if the price is as for a prettie moggie, dont think twice. Shoot!  They dont get much prettier than this!

If you fancy a pure bred ragdoll, and are willing to pay for this, look up the bi-color ragdolls, and especially, such kittens.

If they may happen to have another eye color than the usualy blue (or sometimes pale greenish I think may happen in some ragdoll lines - controversial, but they exists).

Its true with bi-colors the masque isnt clearly visible - but as I understand, they eyes should still be blue -  although Im no expert on ragdoll bicolor.

I will myself look up the ragdoll bicolor and their eye colors.   :)

Good luck!   @Eli88

Is this cattery giving you also full paperworks, including certificate from an recognized, established cat association??   Which association is it?

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's adorable, but at least to me, does not look like a Ragdoll. Her color, aside from not having blue eyes (some, do not - it's acceptable in some color combinations to have other hues) does not look "chocolate" either.  Do you have more photos?  Perhaps it's just the lighting of the picture but her fur looks white and gray ('blue") to me.

Is the person a reputable breeder or just someone who claims to be one?  Have you seen the registration papers?  Is there a contract?  How old will she be when you bring her home?  No kitten should go to it's new home before 12 weeks.  Any younger, and they haven't had a chance to learn their cat manners from the mom and siblings and could possibly be more prone to behavior issues of varying kinds down the road. Also, they should have been vaccinated and spayed or neutered.  Any breeder letting go of kittens prior to these milestones is probably just out for the money, not interested in the well being of the kittens or, furthering a good line of cats in general.

Have they asked for a deposit?  This is fairly standard to reserve a kitten.  How much are you paying?  A well bred Ragdoll should go for several hundred dollars, even for pet quality.

There are a lot of questions one should ask prior to adopting a kitten.  By all means, do so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eli88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Very true.   The problem here is probably the price.  The seller wants surely a price for a purebred ragdoll, while if it is a pretty moggie the price should be much less.

So, if the price is as for a prettie moggie, dont think twice. Shoot!  They dont get much prettier than this!

If you fancy a pure bred ragdoll, and are willing to pay for this, look up the bi-color ragdolls, and especially, such kittens.

If they may happen to have another eye color than the usualy blue (or sometimes pale greenish I think may happen in some ragdoll lines - controversial, but they exists).

Its true with bi-colors the masque isnt clearly visible - but as I understand, they eyes should still be blue -  although Im no expert on ragdoll bicolor.

I will myself look up the ragdoll bicolor and their eye colors.   :)

Good luck!   @Eli88

Is this cattery giving you also full paperworks, including certificate from an recognized, established cat association??   Which association is it?
Thank you so much @StefanZ

What you said was exactly what bothers me. The breeder asks for a price of a purebred ragdoll, so I would definitely hope to get what I paid for. I did some research online about ragdoll cat eye colors, and it seems that almost all ragdolls should have blue eyes only except for solid ragdolls, and this kitten doesn't look like a solid ragdoll to me. As for the cattery, it is registered with TICA. I have already checked and their name is listed on the TICA website, and they said that all kitten will come with TICA papers. I haven't visited them though. 

eli88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

She's adorable, but at least to me, does not look like a Ragdoll. Her color, aside from not having blue eyes (some, do not - it's acceptable in some color combinations to have other hues) does not look "chocolate" either.  Do you have more photos?  Perhaps it's just the lighting of the picture but her fur looks white and gray ('blue") to me.

Is the person a reputable breeder or just someone who claims to be one?  Have you seen the registration papers?  Is there a contract?  How old will she be when you bring her home?  No kitten should go to it's new home before 12 weeks.  Any younger, and they haven't had a chance to learn their cat manners from the mom and siblings and could possibly be more prone to behavior issues of varying kinds down the road. Also, they should have been vaccinated and spayed or neutered.  Any breeder letting go of kittens prior to these milestones is probably just out for the money, not interested in the well being of the kittens or, furthering a good line of cats in general.

Have they asked for a deposit?  This is fairly standard to reserve a kitten.  How much are you paying?  A well bred Ragdoll should go for several hundred dollars, even for pet quality.

There are a lot of questions one should ask prior to adopting a kitten.  By all means, do so.
Thank you @sivyaleah

This kitten definitely doesn't look like a traditional ragdoll. I have searched for a ragdoll for some time and have seen quite a lot of pictures, but I have not seen any ragdoll kitten similar to this. 

The cattery is registered with TICA, and says that all kittens come with TICA papers. I have not visited the cattery yet. The purchasing process seems ok for me. The kitten can go home after 12 weeks, and will be spayed and vaccinated. They did not ask for a deposit, but asked me to pay in cash though. The price is about 1000, which is expensive and about the price for a regular pet ragdoll. So at this price I really want to make sure that I will get what I paid for --- a purebred ragdoll instead of a mix. 

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thank you @sivyaleah

This kitten definitely doesn't look like a traditional ragdoll. I have searched for a ragdoll for some time and have seen quite a lot of pictures, but I have not seen any ragdoll kitten similar to this. 

The cattery is registered with TICA, and says that all kittens come with TICA papers. I have not visited the cattery yet. The purchasing process seems ok for me. The kitten can go home after 12 weeks, and will be spayed and vaccinated. They did not ask for a deposit, but asked me to pay in cash though. The price is about 1000, which is expensive and about the price for a regular pet ragdoll. So at this price I really want to make sure that I will get what I paid for --- a purebred ragdoll instead of a mix. 
That seems excessively high.  Especially, for pet quality.

Where do you live?  In my area, the average I've seen is between $500-750 or so.  I only know this because I did some amount of research on Ragdolls a couple of years back.  We had the opportunity to adopt one which was purebred.  Wound up not getting her due to her not being well socialized.  I found her breeder and was of some help in getting her returned, instead of being adopted via other means.  There were gorgeous, pet quality kittens available with the breeder at that time so finding prices was easy enough.  

eli88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

That seems excessively high.  Especially, for pet quality.

Where do you live?  In my area, the average I've seen is between $500-750 or so.  I only know this because I did some amount of research on Ragdolls a couple of years back.  We had the opportunity to adopt one which was purebred.  Wound up not getting her due to her not being well socialized.  I found her breeder and was of some help in getting her returned, instead of being adopted via other means.  There were gorgeous, pet quality kittens available with the breeder at that time so finding prices was easy enough.  
I live in the NY area, but yes this price also seems very expensive for me. Would you mind telling me when you search for ragdolls how did you find reliable breeders? I usually just use google, but it's often hard to know their reputation.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I live in the NY area, but yes this price also seems very expensive for me. Would you mind telling me when you search for ragdolls how did you find reliable breeders? I usually just use google, but it's often hard to know their reputation.
I'm in New Jersey,so the prices should be on par with each other.

Honestly, asking around is the best way to find someone reputable. Anyone can create a website.  Or being close enough to visit the cattery and see for for yourself.  I believe you can ask for references also.

The person I dealt with is located in NJ. We had several back and forth emails about the cat I nearly adopted and other things.   I was able to ascertain she was legit through asking a lot of questions.  

I'll PM you info.  

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can assure you she is not a purebred ragdoll.  She could be party, of course, but not a full one for sure. Ragdolls are point-colored cats. She is not a point. She's also not chocolate. From what I can see on the picture she's a Blue with White cat. She does look adorable though, but even if you absolutely love her, you shouldn't pay full price for her. It's also very important you trust the breeder you get her from, because you want to be sure she's healthy and happy and will be for a long time. I feel like their breeding queen escaped and returned home pregnant by a random stray cat. This means the father won't be tested on hcm, pkd etc. Because the breeder does seem to post fake information, I wouldn't buy the cat even if you do like her a lot. If you do buy her full price, you might give the breeder the idea that she can do this again and again, only worsening the breed and kittens, and only trying to make easy money. Don't do it.

eli88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I can assure you she is not a purebred ragdoll.  She could be party, of course, but not a full one for sure. Ragdolls are point-colored cats. She is not a point. She's also not chocolate. From what I can see on the picture she's a Blue with White cat. She does look adorable though, but even if you absolutely love her, you shouldn't pay full price for her. It's also very important you trust the breeder you get her from, because you want to be sure she's healthy and happy and will be for a long time. I feel like their breeding queen escaped and returned home pregnant by a random stray cat. This means the father won't be tested on hcm, pkd etc. Because the breeder does seem to post fake information, I wouldn't buy the cat even if you do like her a lot. If you do buy her full price, you might give the breeder the idea that she can do this again and again, only worsening the breed and kittens, and only trying to make easy money. Don't do it.
I totally agree with what you said. Could this kitten be a solid ragdoll though? I have searched for images of solid ragdolls and seems that some have similar fur color and pattern. However, the look of the cat still looks a little different. I kinda feel that ragdolls usually have larger jaws than this kitten.

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I totally agree with what you said. Could this kitten be a solid ragdoll though? I have searched for images of solid ragdolls and seems that some have similar fur color and pattern. However, the look of the cat still looks a little different. I kinda feel that ragdolls usually have larger jaws than this kitten.
You are absolutely right. I didn't consider solid ragdolls because I never heard of them before. I did some research and found out they do indeed excist (just not allowed in my country). In that case, the color is indeed possible and she can still be considered a ragdoll.

At just one picture, it's difficult to see her actual face-shape etc. Her face might be slightly small, but then again, not all kittens from a litter are huge furballs with huge faces. Her shape does seem ragdoll-like, aside from her slightly small cheeks. 

I think it's better to be sure by comparing her to her brothers and sisters if she has them. Also, some breeders post pedigrees from parents or from the kittens on their website, did they? We can look into their pedigree to confirm if it's indeed possible those are the parents. You can also see if there has been cross-breeding in her lines that might cause her slightly small face, but it would still make her a ragdoll.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

You are absolutely right. I didn't consider solid ragdolls because I never heard of them before. I did some research and found out they do indeed excist (just not allowed in my country). In that case, the color is indeed possible and she can still be considered a ragdoll.

At just one picture, it's difficult to see her actual face-shape etc. Her face might be slightly small, but then again, not all kittens from a litter are huge furballs with huge faces. Her shape does seem ragdoll-like, aside from her slightly small cheeks. 

I think it's better to be sure by comparing her to her brothers and sisters if she has them. Also, some breeders post pedigrees from parents or from the kittens on their website, did they? We can look into their pedigree to confirm if it's indeed possible those are the parents. You can also see if there has been cross-breeding in her lines that might cause her slightly small face, but it would still make her a ragdoll.
Except, this cat isn't solid.  She's bi-color and as far as I can see, tabby too.  There appears to be a faint "M" on her forehead.

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Except, this cat isn't solid.  She's bi-color and as far as I can see, tabby too.  There appears to be a faint "M" on her forehead.
She doesn't seem tabby to me, looking at her overall. It's possible she's smoke, though. But I'll need more pictures of her to be a better judge.

eli88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 In addition, I have found a picture of her sister from the same litter. 

And her mother does look like a solid ragdoll. I don't have the exact picture but her look is similar to this one. 

However, I am not so sure about her father, which is this one. 

Is it possible to tell more about whether this kitten is a purebred ragdoll with these pictures. Would really appreciate it if you guys could help.

As for the color, it does seem like chocolate to me, instead of blue. I think the two pictures I posted before show blue color because of the light. 

I also have one more concern. The breeder said that TICA papers will be mailed to me when the kitten is about 6 months old. Is that normal for cattery to do that, or do catteries usually have the papers ready when the kitten is sold? Thank you!

ph0ebe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In my experience, Ragdolls should look like long-haired siameseish cats possibly with white markings.  What sets them apart from siamese-mixes like my cat in my profile picture is that they should go limp when you hold them.  My cat certainly doesn't do that!  The kittens above aren't purebred ragdolls, although they are quite beautiful, healthy cats if you just want to adopt and are not concerned about specific breed.  If the owner insists on selling them at a higher price because they are "purebred", I would look elsewhere for some similarly healthy kittens.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

In my experience, Ragdolls should look like long-haired siameseish cats possibly with white markings.  What sets them apart from siamese-mixes like my cat in my profile picture is that they should go limp when you hold them.  My cat certainly doesn't do that!  The kittens above aren't purebred ragdolls, although they are quite beautiful, healthy cats if you just want to adopt and are not concerned about specific breed.  If the owner insists on selling them at a higher price because they are "purebred", I would look elsewhere for some similarly healthy kittens.
It's a myth about the Ragdoll going limp when held, although they are known for having a placid nature.   Lots of cats will do this.  Our tortoiseshell domestic longhair does.  I think it has more to do with being very well socialized, than genetics 

ph0ebe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

It's a myth about the Ragdoll going limp when held, although they are known for having a placid nature.   Lots of cats will do this.  Our tortoiseshell domestic longhair does.  I think it has more to do with being very well socialized, than genetics 

Ok, thanks, the limp thing is sounding more like a myth to me now.  I do think that the breed does play some role in personality though, as my Maine Coon loved water and my siamese mix demands attention and is very vocal.  Though socialization is clearly an important factor in personality.  Maybe Ragdolls are considered placid because if they're purebred they're probably from a breeder and have been socialized more than a stray at a shelter would.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of the parents or kittens look like Ragdolls to me. If you want to find a reputable breeder, call the CFA. They maintain lists and can give you several to call, and/or visit their websites.

Afterwards, come back to us with more questions and we'll be happy to advise you further.

eli88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
None of the parents or kittens look like Ragdolls to me. If you want to find a reputable breeder, call the CFA. They maintain lists and can give you several to call, and/or visit their websites.

Afterwards, come back to us with more questions and we'll be happy to advise you further.
Thank you so much @bigperm20  It's actually my first time using this forum, but I have already found it very helpful posting here.

I have decided to look for a traditional kitten from other more reliable catteries, to make sure that the kitten I buy will be healthy.

I just got one new question and it would be much appreciated if you could help. So as I search for bicolor blue/seal ragdoll kittens I found several ones with white spots on their ears. I have heard that kittens with white on ears will be disqualified for competitions, and reliable ragdoll catteries should not use these cats to breed. So is this a big problem? Can they still be pet ragdolls, or should these kittens have lower prices compared to other pet ragdolls? 

Thank you.