Need Help Identifying This Pattern

isenhart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there!

This is JamJams. She's about a year old and has always made me wonder if her pattern is identifiable as it's sort of all over the place. I was thinking a harlequin but she seems to have extra coloring features.

Her momma is a Cream Point and I believe her father is a Dark Tabby.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Interesting.   She is harlequin all right, but the question is, what more.  She has very much an appareance of a bi-color "mitted" point, alike Snowshoe.  But the eyes doenst seem to be blue? Now, there are some Ragdolls whom dont have blue eyes, they are some sort of greenish instead.  But still the blue eyes on points is by far the most common feaure...

Tabby is dominant, so if father was tabby she "should" be tabby too.  And I dont see any tabby traces on her.  But its only if father was double carrier of the point gene.  If he was a single carrier of te point gene, HE would be a tabby, but the gene would be sent to only half of his children...

So the nearest question is to decide, what exact color her eyes have, and if you do see any stripes on her.

There may also be other questions, but I dont know for sure the hereditary paths of red nor dilute...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

isenhart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for helping me out on this one!

Her eyes are almost like those of her mother although they are much lighter on the 'icey blue' color scale, maybe even a very light grey. It's something I've had a hard time describing since she was a kitten.

Another look.

As for any stripes, she has none. All of her patterns are just random blots of brown, black, with a little seal (I think) thrown in. She's kind of a special kitty, I suppose.

As reference, this is her and her Momma napping together to see her color scheme:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Tx for the extra info. So they eyes ARE blue.   So its clearing up, she is a Mitted seal point.   Some may perhaps say Seal point bi-color.  I was a while pondering what to do with the color on her backside, some sort of diluted red, ie creme? Or even just red?   But no, of course not, as a point, it is the usualy  fair point color.   This will be darker and darker with time, as she is a seal.   The rest of the body is white, because she is mitted.

Dear daddy was only a single gene tabby, that is why she didnt got to be a tabby / lynx too.  BUT she got the black gene from him.   Daddy was a point carrier too.

She is technically a harlequin, but I dont think we will call it so here, becuse being mitted, everybody understands she has some sort of bi-color pattern.

Do you know about the littermates?  Half in the litter should be points,

half  tabbies - not necessarily the same halfs. so there may be a lynx point too as I understand it.

isenhart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awesome, it's nice to put a name on what her pattern is aside from 'different'.

She has two sisters which I have pictures of (although when they were younger):

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Swell!  The middle one is a Lynx point, precisely as I predicted.   He seems also to have some white on him, as he does have a white toe. So technically, he is mitted too...

The third, is they eyes blue because she is still young, or is it point-blue?  I suspect she is point blue, and VERRY mitted, ears too...  But the tail is dark.

They were 3 littermates?  No more?  The statistics arent ironclad, so half MAY be all three pointed.

But if all 3 are pointed,  I would like to make sure if the dad wasnt a point himself too...   Say a seal lynx point...   (ie a black tabby point).

isenhart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There was a fourth but it was still-born. As for the third kitten, it's hard to tell as they were roughly 9 - 10 months old when those photos were taken and quickly found homes not long after so it's possible that those are her final eye colouring.

As for the father, I've seen him maybe once or twice after he and momma got together but only at a distance so my memory isn't very clear in regards to his exact features other than what appeared to be a classic dark tiger-striped tabby.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

There was a fourth but it was still-born. As for the third kitten, it's hard to tell as they were roughly 9 - 10 months old when those photos were taken and quickly found homes not long after so it's possible that those are her final eye colouring.

As for the father, I've seen him maybe once or twice after he and momma got together but only at a distance so my memory isn't very clear in regards to his exact features other than what appeared to be a classic dark tiger-striped tabby.
Ok, at that age its no longer the kitten blue.  So nr 3 is a point too,  verry mitted.   Statistically not the most common solution, but not at all impossible.

The theoretical statistic with a poing x carrier, would be 2 pointed, on non pointed carrier, and one non pointed, non carrier.

We can presume the dead fourth was no point - not impossible, but statistically rare, as the father was classic non pointed tabby.

isenhart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks a lot, again, for all the help you've provided!

Bonus question: I know Moxxi, her momma, is a pointed cat but I am debating as to which kind of point.

I don't have better pictures at the moment as my USB stick which holds all of their pictures is elsewhere. I'm not sure what her parents were because I got her as a rescued kitty from our local SPCA but she has the typical pointed colouring and blue eyes. She's very tolerant of water but she's not a big fan of being held which makes me almost rule out Ragdoll (or perhaps at least the dominant part of her makeup).

fluffy nebelung

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All this information is really exciting!

Momma is a blue eyed flame-point, and a very pretty one at that.

isenhart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aw, thanks!

Moxxi is certainly a very special kitty although she absolutely loves to get dirty! Rain or shine, she loves to roll around in the dirt and comes home like nothing happened in spite of being covered head to tail with the occasional slugs embedded in her fur.