Need help getting skittish cat tHo the vet

wolflover326

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 2y old male kitty that I got when he was 6m old. I have no idea what happened to him before I got him, but I know that it has taken a very long time to gain his trust. He love affection, but is terrified of being picked up. He's got skin issues and I need to get him to the vet, but getting him in the carrier is pretty impossible. He scratches and twists and basically freaks out until I have no choice but to let him go. And it sets us back on his trust in me, which breaks my heart. The carrier is always out, and the cats are always around it, so it isn't that he's afraid of. Any one have any ideas on how I can get him to the vet?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have your tried wrapping him up in a blanket or towel to get him into the carrier?  It takes two of us to get either cat into the stroller for vet visits.  I think it is more stable than the carrier I have.  the soft carrier was fine for the 2 lb kitten I adopted but he is now over 12 lbs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wolflover326

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, towels/large pieces of fabric are completely out of the question. We figured that out the first time we tried to catch him. We don't get anywhere near him if we have one. At least if it's just me and my hands, I have a chance at grabbing him since he'll come over for petting. 

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear that.  There are some thread re: this problem.  More experienced cat loves say start feeding the cat in the carrier long before you need to use it so the cat willing enters it.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Feeding only in the carrier is great for long term training, but if its really an emergency then you might need something a little quicker for right now. Find out what treat he goes nuts for. Doesn't have to be a cat treat...chicken, turkey, hotdogs, cheese...anything that can be cut into pieces and thrown without being too messy is fine. Start playing games with him by throwing the treat for him to run to. Once he's engaged, throw some into the entrance of the carrier. Gradually aim it deeper and deeper until he's running in and out unconcerned. Then throw an extra big bit in and quietly shut the door. That should work for this emergency. The other option is to lay a trail of treats into the carrier, sit by the door and wait for him to go in. One of these methods should work for you.

There are tricks to physically putting resistant (but tame) cats into carriers, but the bait method is the most painless and least stressful for this situation. If you want to try picking him up, then my preferred method is to use a front load carrier and place it on a chair/table/other raised but stable area...near the cat, but not so close as to spook them. I then pick the cat up (one hand behind the front legs and the other supporting the back legs/bum) and almost post the cat into the carrier - they almost walk themselves in if you get the timing and momentum right. Be ready to get the door shut before he turns round. It's kind of hard to explain, but it almost always works for me, and with very little fuss or stress....though said cat is often very cross once he/she's shut in!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

wolflover326

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for your advice! I think in this instance, his skin and coat problems aren't life threatening, so I may just have to start the long-term training and hope he picks it up quickly. I'll definitely try the feeding and treats trick. As a general rule, I don't feed them human food, but I think I'll break that just to decrease the stress of getting him in the carrier.