Need help finding a specific breed

mikev078

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I live in North Texas and wanting to get a kitten soon. I have been going through various pictures of different breeds, and the one that I really like is a greyish/white short hair with like sapphire blue eyes, or blue eyes in general. I have no idea what kind of breed this is, so it is very difficult to search for. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Thank you,
Mike

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are no blue (grey) cats with blue eyes. Not as a breed. The only thing that would come close is a pointed cat (Siamese, Ragdoll, Himalayn, etc.)

There are Russian Blues - but they have green eye color, not blue. They are blue with silver tipping.

If you have a picture of this cat you found, post it and maybe that would help.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok 2nd picture is a lynx point domestic shorthair cat. First picture may be a RARE brown tabby & white exotic shorthair.

There is a breeder of Persians (and probably has Exotics) that breeds some odd-eyed calicos and tabbys. So it could be she's also gotten a blue eyed tabby or calico). I'm sorry but I do not remember the cattery name of the breeder but she's got some stunning show quality cats with different eye color. The eye color has been accepted now in the breed standard, so the cats are grand champions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mikev078

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dave_PH

Be prepared for HIGH energy and a lot of talk.
Hmmm, not you got me wondering. I'm pretty relaxed when at home, but can enjoy some playtime on occassion. Is this type of cat an extremely vocal one? I think it would be ok as long as it is not constant loud yowling at late hours of the night. Might irriate my neighbor upstairs, hehe.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to go visit - and, with a Siamese, I wonder if it would be wise to adopt both kittens if they're available - so they have some one to play with in your absence. That is a beautiful cat.

I adopted a short hair adult female, and about six weeks later adopted a boy. Looking back, the only thing I would have changed is looking for a bonded pair to adopt. The only downside, truly, is making sure you can handle the vet expenses - but that would happen with one anyway.

A lot of Siamese do enjoy talking - but not all. But good for you doing your research, and best of luck.

mikev078

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would love to get a bonded pair, but my girlfriend would not allow me to get two cats. I had to really beg and plead for her to let me have one.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is a Siamese rescue up in your area, if you'd like to meet a LOT of them.

Texas Siamese Rescue

I know they have some gorgeous cats, because I've transported some up there.

By the way, the little guy I pictured above is Flambe, a cat we're fostering for our local shelter. And yes, like many Siamese, he is definitely "doglike" in wanting to be around his "person."

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, the more I think about it, unless one of you is home a lot, a bonded pair may be the way to go - unless you fall in love with a cat that prefers to go solo.

Would your girl friend possibly accept the advice of cat behaviorists at the shelter? Any kitten, but especially an energetic one, will probably be less troublesome if they have a playmate - otherwise, like a human child, if they're not distracted by a buddy, they may start playing with, ah, furnishings, toilet paper, etc., that you'd prefer not to have them play with. At least if they have each other, they'll wear each other out a little bit - otherwise, for sure he'll be looking to you for lots, and lots, of play time.

If you have time, maybe check out a book called Kittens for Dummies (your local library can probably point you in the right direction) - lots of info for the novice cat owner, and a lot of straight talk about what you can expect and how to cope. Believe me, it's totally worth it - but there will be some adapting going on, on all your parts!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A non talkative Siamese is pretty rare. They love to carry on conversations all the time - even if you don't want to participate. You might want to reconsider a Siamese. Most of the "oriental" type of cats are talkative; some more then others.

Most talkative - Siamese, Oriental SH
Medium talkative - Burmese, Tonkinese, Ocicat, Aby, Rex (Cornish or Devon)

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the color is the thing that attracts you the most, I think you should check out several catbreeds that have colorpoints in them. You know different breeds can have very different personalities, for example the siamese which is very active and vocal, the birmans are more calm and laid back etc. Here is TICA's list of breeds in case you want to check what's out there: TICA They haven't listed the colors to the breed descriptions, but from what I know, atleast the following breeds can be found in colorpoints: Persian/Himalayan, Ragdoll, Birman, Bengal, British Short- and Longhair, Burmese, American Curl, Scottish Fold, Sphynx, Snowshoe, Thai, Tonkinese, Balinese, all of the Rexes and Neva Masquerade.

*edit* Oops, seems like Neva Masquerade isn't recognized breed there yet..But basically it's Siberian in colorpoint (like 'Himalayan' is just a colorpoint Persian). (I'm most familiar with FifÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] breeds..
).

mikev078

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, maybe a Siamese isn't the best option for me. My previous cast was a long-haired maine coon and he was very laid back, but funny at times. I definitely don't want a long-haired cat again though. He killed my Roomba, lol.

I really love the greys, whites, and blacks on cats...but those blue eyes are what sells me. If I could find a short-hair with those colors, the blue eyes, and a relaxed personality, that would be golden.

Looked over that list, and found TONKINESE. They seemed to be a bit more mellow. What does anyone else think?

mikev078

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was reading up on the Balinese and this might be a good choice to go with. Even though they are a long-haired cat, I was finding that they shed less than their short-hair brethren. Also, reading that they are more relaxed too than the short-hair. Only problem I am finding are most places aren't listing prices. Anyone have experiences in this and might be able to give me a round-about figure so I can see how much I may be looking to spend in this route?

Thanks!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mikev078

I was reading up on the Balinese and this might be a good choice to go with. Even though they are a long-haired cat, I was finding that they shed less than their short-hair brethren. Also, reading that they are more relaxed too than the short-hair. Only problem I am finding are most places aren't listing prices. Anyone have experiences in this and might be able to give me a round-about figure so I can see how much I may be looking to spend in this route?

Thanks!
If you are going with long hair, why not a Ragdoll? I have a wonderful place here in Texas where I adopted my purebred reagdolls - both with blue blue eyes and amazing puurrrsonalities... It is a purebred rescue place I can refer you to - heck, I can even go there with you! The kitties are amazing, and the lady is amazing as well... They shed less than other long hair breeds, and their coats don't matt...
Just a thought