Need help estimating kitten age for cat memorial

trishia42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat passed away last week; we initially adopted her from the humane society/pet store on April 14, 2005. Her date of birth had been marked as being February 13 2005, which would have made her 2 months at the time. We don't think she was actually two months as she seemed too small to have been taken away from her mother at the time - she was fed wet food and kitten milk at home, and seemed to be really out of sorts missing her mother the first few weeks; hiding, not interaction too much, not playing, and been in generay whiny. She also had diarrhea, which would had to resolve with antibiotics. We think that the listed date in incorrect because they were dumped there and the humane society usually only allows cats to be adoptable after two months, so we think the person who dropped them off might have lied in order to get rid of them.

We are trying to establish her approximate age in order to get at least the month of her birth correctly listed for the memorial; here are a few pictures from April 14-16, 2005 - I would appreciate any input from people more experienced with this sort of thing; - thank you.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
5-6 weeks on these photos. ? Less than 8.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trishia42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
5-6 weeks on these photos. ? Less than 8.
Yeah, that's kind of what I figured looking at pictures online, but it's good to get opinions, given I don't have much experience with kittens outside of her. Thank you so much for the input; it's appreciated.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think around 6 weeks too. If a kitten is smaller than its actual age because of malnutrition, etc., its head is usually larger looking than it should be. So really, I think you are safe to keep February as the birth month, just the end of the month, not the middle. The first week of March at the latest.
She was a beautiful little girl, I'm so sorry you have to go through this pain, I know how much it hurts to lose such a sweet little one. You gave her a long, well-loved life, she will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers, always connected to your soul through that strong bond of love. You tried so hard to help her be more comfortable at the end of her life, you will be blessed for loving her so much.
RIP sweet girl, you will always be missed, you will have a secure place in loving hearts for eternity. may the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Sweet Friend, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

I think 5-6 weeks, as well. But I know for sure that she, in That Place Where All Things Are Known, is saying, "Don't be silly. What's a date? Just be sure to say we loved each other with all our hearts! I'll be here, waiting. Until we meet again, I'm sending my Love back to you. It will never leave your side."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trishia42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the input. We went with just the years. It's been a little more than a week and I'm still so heartbroken. I am wracked with guilt about the things I didn't do for her; I should have taken her in six months earlier - it's likely then we would have seen the early signs and would have had a better chance at treating her and keeping her longer. Her kidney values were not even on the radar a year ago and then she was a stage 4 in early January; I just don't understand how or why. I wish I could go back so badly.