Need Help Diagnosing This

E46tknv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone.

My cat, Fatso, is about 8 years old now. Lately, I have been hearing him breath much differently then the usual from time to time. It seems like it happens at least once a day or once every 2 days. It sounds like his throat is incredibly dry or hair caught up on his mouth. I don’t know if he is sick or can fix him on my own by changing something in his habits. I can’t speak to cats but he doesn’t seem happy to be picked up like usual.

He is always inside.
He’s fed with all natural foods.

I’ve uploaded a video. Please let me know if you can help me.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like he's congested and/or has asthma. I'd get him to the vet for treatment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

E46tknv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like he's congested and/or has asthma. I'd get him to the vet for treatment.
I know that would be the logical thing to do. But is there anything to do in the meantime?

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can try the steam treatment. Run the shower very hot and put Fatso in the bathroom. The moist air can do wonders for irritated airways.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The coughing concerns me. Try the steam treatment and make an appointment with the vet soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

E46tknv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The coughing concerns me. Try the steam treatment and make an appointment with the vet soon.
I made the bathroom nice and steamy and sat with him for 5min. I’ll repeat again and monitor him. But yes, will schedule a visit to the vet.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does his chest rise in and out rapidly or deeply? Have the vet check his heart too...
Heart failure can cause fluid in the lungs
I know all too well :(