Need help determining gender

yessibn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat just had her kittens about a month now. Not sure how to determine the gender tho. I have had female and male and know how genitals look but only when the are older. Not sure how to determine gender as baby's. They turn 4 weeks today and want to name them, but not sure of gender please help. Mom is white black and orange, dad is all orange. 1st picture is a kitten looking almost identical to mom. Not sure if it's a girl too.

This one is Mostly orange with white patch on chest.

Last one is all orange like dad

Last edited by a moderator:

sandrasmithey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Males look like a colon and females look like an upside down explanation point.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Girl, boy, boy.

We'd love to see their faces too! Are you keeping any kittens?

And not sure if you know this, but mom can already get pregnant again, and without going into heat. You'll need to keep her 100% away from dad until she can be spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The calico is a girl. Also because almost all calicos are girls, lol. I actually think the reds could be girls too. . .there's not a lot of distance between anus and genitals like boys would have, plus I've seen the little "fake testicles" on girls before (well, even in your pics, the calico is a good example). And a red daddy/calico mama could produce red girls. But the pics are not terribly clear. See if you can get pics in better light, and besides the back shots, try to get some with the kitty's tummy. . .you can see boys' bits from there but not girls'.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

yessibn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so confused because people keep suggesting the 2 orange kitties are boys and other one a girl, but to be honest there parts look identical. Only difference is the calico one puts its rain between its legs when you pick it up. And has different facial features then the other 2. The calico's face is round and small other 2 are kind of squared.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yessibn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I mean *tail. It puts its tail between its legs when I pick it up

sandrasmithey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another bit of information about kitties. Almost all Calico kitties are female and almost all Orange kitties are male.

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
 I'm so confused because people keep suggesting the 2 orange kitties are boys and other one a girl, but to be honest there parts look identical.
Calicos have to be female unless there is a genetic mutation (very, very uncommon, but not impossible), and orange kittens are often male, but not necessarily always. People might be suggesting that the orange ones are boys for that reason; for an orange kitten to be male, only one parent needs to carry the orange/red gene, while for female orange kittens, both parents would have to carry the red gene. Statistically, this makes red males more common in general, hence the skew toward males.

In your case though, both parents DO carry the red gene, so them being female is a distinct possibility.

I suck at math, but I think taking the actual genes of the parents into account, the chances of a male or female kitten turning out orange in this litter is actually equal.

Last edited:

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
boys are circular girls have a slit girls parts are located higher to the anus than the males

so the gap is shorter the gap is wider on the boys from willy to butt if you are comparing ;)

2 orange white males 1 calico female  *but on rare occasions an orange kitty can be a girl

Beautiful Litter 

Last edited:

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is it possible for you to retake the pictures, but more from behind? It's a little hard to see on these ;)

Also, red females aren't as rare as people say it is. With the mom and dad of this litter, red girls are possible, and shouldn't be ruled out this easily.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so confused because people keep suggesting the 2 orange kitties are boys and other one a girl, but to be honest there parts look identical. Only difference is the calico one puts its rain between its legs when you pick it up. And has different facial features then the other 2. The calico's face is round and small other 2 are kind of squared.
Very cute! Do you plan to keep them?